VPI in the News

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Thanks, Myles. I bought my first HW16 record cleaner from Harry Weisfeld sometime in the early '80's. The interview with their son brings back some nice memories. My TT is still a VPI TNT HRx Rim Drive and SDS Controller. I am thinking about a Traveller for my daughter. Larry

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Thanks for posting that. I had a VPI 16 when I first got into SERIOUS analog almost 30 years ago with the first VPI turntable with a Souther arm. Quit analog for a while then about 15years ago I got the VPI 17 with the VPI TNT and JMW 12.5 arm.

Given lack of time to listen, I ended up selling all of my analog gear and records and have (only on occasion) decided I was a nitwit for doing so.

VPI makes great products and am really glad the company is doing well.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Given lack of time to listen, I ended up selling all of my analog gear and records and have (only on occasion) decided I was a nitwit for doing so.

The analog Karma gods will get you for that. While you now only occasionally feel that you were a nitwit for selling off your analog gear and your precious records, as time goes by you will become a fulltime nitwit with deep remorse.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The analog Karma gods will get you for that. While you now only occasionally feel that you were a nitwit for selling off your analog gear and your precious records, as time goes by you will become a fulltime nitwit with deep remorse.

What I will miss is the cool looking VPI table and acrylic cover.

I have approximately 1100 CD's on my server, and about 400 of them I have never heard. So if I never again purchased any more music and if I had the time to listen to a couple of new CD's per week all year long (not a shot), I could get through them in couple of years. And that excludes the 700 I have heard that I might like to listen to again and the 550 movies some of which I would like to see again and the wife that I would like to spend time with and the job that for 8 months per year requires a minimum of 80 hours per week, and the children that I like to go visit and .........

Just not enough hours per year to get it all in.

Good analog on a good system in a good room is hard to beat. But I can't do it all so analog lost. I have only rare rare moments of remorse (mostly when I go visit an audiophile friend who has a room/system and analog set up to die for.)

And it was Michael Fremer that got me back into analog!!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Audioguy-If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living that requires you to work a minimum of 80 hours per week for 8 months of the year?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

I was at that same place just the other day. While in school, scarping for funds, I sold a bunch of my albums. Like hundreds. Just last week I went to pull my promo copy of Paris 1919. I have every note of that record engraved on my brain; haven't felt the need to actually play it in quite some time. That's when I realized that I sold it ~25 years ago. I lack the words to paint a picture of how I felt at that moment.

Later, I went to ebay and bought a NM Brit pressing. It should be arriving next week, but it just won't be the same.

Felix

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Audioguy-If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living that requires you to work a minimum of 80 hours per week for 8 months of the year?

I own a small very seasonal business (www.MosquitoFreeBackyards.com) that specializes in eliminating mosquitoes from residential properties and high end resort properties (we did a 4.5 acre private island off the coast of Belize). And since mosquitoes (in the Atlanta area) are only active about 7 months per year, we have to take full advantage of the time.

Since I must pay most of my employees 12 months per year, I must run a very lean operation to be able make any money. So between selling to new customers and the attendant overhead of managing a large existing customer bass AND making a profit, I have no choice but to do some of the work myself. (Unfortunately, the new tax plans that will soon be in place due to the election of Obama, it is only going to make it worse. That plan is very unkind to small businesses.) The few competitors who I have that have "farmed out" much of the work have been very unsuccessful at keeping their existing customer base.

Could I hire more (part time) employees work less and "get by"? I don't know. But given how long it took for the company to pay me a reasonable salary, I have no intention of trying to find out.

I have no complaints about this at all. I earn a reasonable living AND I get 4 months to do just about anything I want. And unless you are retired, most don’t get that luxury.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
its never too late to jump back in. i recently bought a 'previously loved' VPI 'table/arm to repace the 'ol Xerxes. i got an new cartridge and phono stage too. digital and Lp medium coexist happliy in my world, they both satisfy the soul in different ways.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
its never too late to jump back in.

If I thought that would have ever been a desire, I would never have "jumped out". I had records from the late 50's, some very expensive pressings -- a great collection. Simply not enough hours to listen to it all.

I pondered over the decision for a very long time (and changed my mind about 47 bazillion times in that period), but I finally realized that the struggle was more over the physical media and the hardware and not the music I would not get to listen to. As noted, it was the right thing to do -- for me. NO regrets.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing