What’s a tweaker to do with wonderful new speakers now that the money is gone?

OrigTweaker

Feb 4, 2024
Sangre de Cristo mts
I am thrilled with my new Meridian DSP9 active speakers: reasonable size, attractive and very inert cabinetry and a total of 1,260 watts driving four sub-bass woofers, midrange and a new beryllium tweeter mounted in a custom steel waveguide. Problem is that I blew the budget, leaving only a couple hundred $$ in the piggy bank to pursue my hobby. Now what?

* The room is already reasonably tuned with absorption, diffusion and custom DSP by Thierry at HAF.
* Power is pretty much handled with dedicated circuits, heavy duty outlets and Shunyata products.
* My audio network segment incorporates EtherREGEN, Finisar transceivers and decent cabling.
* And I don’t know which low-priced interconnects should displace what I’ve collected up to now.

Please take a look at the signature to review the Roon NUC server to Raspberry Pi path I’m on, and weigh in with your better ideas. Thanks.

Apart from the above (listen & enjoy) you could also spend another few hundred for: Ideon audio 3R reclocker (300?) -- alternatively, sell yours & get two 3Rs -- daisy chain the reclockers. Purchase an USB isolator (I use a $100 Topping). Power the isolator with a power pack ($20). This simple set-up will benefit the digital sonics considerably.

Maybe just listen something and try and enjoy it?
No problem enjoying at least a couple of hours of very satisfying music every day, which is the whole point. -That doesn’t mean I will stop pushing an already excellent system forward.

I’ve arrived at a place where there is no obvious issue to be solved, just new levels revealed as the last vestiges of RF/EMI, common mode etc. are eliminated from the digital signal path. You don’t hear the perturbations (to use John Swenson’s term) which obscure fine details in the recording until they are gone.

Maybe there are WBF members who can help me along this journey…

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing