Where to buy PX4, 101, Type 45 tubes in the UK

geetee1972

Feb 12, 2021
Hi there - I've been trying to source either new or vintage tubes of the above type but cannot find anywhere in the UK that offers these examples. Ideally they would be new versions (I've been told that vintage versions of these tubes tend to result in a deterioration of the bass response in a given system and given who told me that, I'm inclined to believe them), but if not new then vintage would suffice.

My ideal preference would be for a matched pair of KR Audio 45s for use in a Lampizator GG DAC; I understand (from the same source), that PX4s and 101s (as well as 242s which I am currently running) are also compatible in the DAC as the plate voltage for these tubes is all similar enough (to the 45 setting the DAC has) not to cause problems.

I'm trying to fine tune my system following a significant upgrade in speaker. The previous speakers were inherently quite dark sounding so I'd tuned the overall presentation to brighten things a little. Now the result is that the overall presentation is just a little too bright, although everything else is greatly improved.

Any other suggestions for managing this need also appreciated but identifying a reliable place to source these tubes from is preferred.

Many thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing