Why doesn’t dCS partner with CH Precision for transports?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Philips pro2 is gold standard. Any transport from Philips is great especially CDM1.
The best i ever seen sony cdp r 10 fixed laser or technics slz 1000 Constructed with a minimum of moving parts. completely maintenance free. cdp-r10(4).jpg sl-z1000(2).jpeg c.jpg Technics-SL-Z1000.jpg

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Reactions: analogsa

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I’m not very fond of Sony transports. IMHO basic Philips CDM 4 sounds more musical than top Sony KSS-190. I don’t know Technics slz 1000.
Phantasic build all digital connections that you know can be activated individually clock bnc and optical. Outstandingly clean digital signal. The sound comes more from the dac, the drive provides the perfect conditions for it. The technics is a masterpiece trust me. SONY-CDP-R10B.jpg

Reactions: mtemur

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Is this the same one in my Sony SCD-777ES SACD player?
No, sacd have two laser optics. The cdp r 10 is a other league 8 kg mechanic . scd 777 is a toy on the other hand. scd-777es(2).jpg
when the cover is closed cdp r10 the drive unit moves backwards into position under the laser bridge cdp-r10(2).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
No, sacd have two laser optics. The cdp r 10 is a other league 8 kg mechanic . scd 777 is a toy on the other hand. View attachment 115007
when the cover is closed cdp r10 the drive unit moves backwards into position under the laser bridge View attachment 115008

Thanks. I am not sure "toy" is a good word as the 777 has been a tank for me. But I appreciate the extra quality of the r10 drive.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Thanks. I am not sure "toy" is a good word as the 777 has been a tank for me. But I appreciate the extra quality of the r10 drive.
shouldn't sound derogatory the 777 is good. the cdp r 10 transport cost almost $30,000 in 1992 and weighs around 30kg

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
shouldn't sound derogatory the 777 is good. the cdp r 10 transport cost almost $30,000 in 1992 and weighs around 30kg
It was clearly an all-out effort.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
Experience based on my friend’s having esoteric transports and my use of the Rossini transport.

So, you're asking dCS to throw away all their R&D efforts in properly qualifying the D&M transport and instead partner with a competitor, all on the sole basis of you experiencing your friend's esoteric transport and your Rossini??? Is this a joke?

Reactions: XV-1

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
So, you're asking dCS to throw away all their R&D efforts in properly qualifying the D&M transport and instead partner with a competitor, all on the sole basis of you experiencing your friend's esoteric transport and your Rossini??? Is this a joke?

I am thinking creatively about using a coopetition approach to securing a new high quality transport in a way that two parties benefit.

They can still use a D&M transport in the Rossini but the business issue is that Esoteric is not allowing current versions in the Vivaldi.

Andrew, why are you limiting who can view your profile? What is your business background and what have you done in audio? Limiting profile views limits a more personalized response.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
That’s not correct. The platform, the control software, the sled were all changed. It’s a significant redo. As Alan himself says::

”A big part of the reason for the D1.5’s significance in 21st Century top-notch disc-spinning comes down to the transport. That high mass transport mechanism (MORSe to its friends) is a thing of beauty. There are two parts of a transport that are ludicrously expensive to fabricate for a company that isn’t making transports by the millions; the laser eye and the spindle. Technically, a company could even fabricate the spindle if it went a little crazy, but even in the highest of high-end there’s a degree of pragmatism that holds when facing vast tooling costs to make something that is already well-designed and engineered elsewhere. The laser eye… well, that’s simply outside of the wheelhouse of almost all companies in the audio world. In making its transport mech, CH Precision used the spindle-housing and laser eye from top-end Denon/Marantz CD/SACD players and engineered the rest. In other words, this is a massively engineered, 3kg transport mechanism that uses two parts from another company’s CD/SACD sled. The cynics in audio – of which there are many – will doubtless claim this means the D1.5 ‘is built around a Denon or a Marantz’ but that’s like saying a gin and tonic that’s in the same room as a bottle of vermouth is a martini!”
Once heard a high end system with expensive Goldmund Transport , DAC, Speakers , Pre , power - All top Goldmund stuff . When owner switched on his HT, I was shocked to see Oppo logo . Shocking is an understatement

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Once heard a high end system with expensive Goldmund Transport , DAC, Speakers , Pre , power - All top Goldmund stuff . When owner switched on his HT, I was shocked to see Oppo logo . Shocking is an understatement
Oppo is one of the best Blu Ray players.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Older Goldmunds are pioneer dv 300/dv 600 player better housing and mains transformer thats it. Amazing digital output low jitter post-8669-100008619 1229965248.jpg

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Oppo is one of the best Blu Ray players.
wouldnt disagree but I would prefer to pay only 5% of Goldmund price

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

AndrewChen

Jul 27, 2018
Andrew, why are you limiting who can view your profile? What is your business background and what have you done in audio? Limiting profile views limits a more personalized response.

Obviously I’m not interested in personalized responses. Keep it to just facts please, not conjecture.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
You are missing the point of my OP. There is an opportunity to partner here and CH recoups their investment in the transport.
I "thought" that the "new(er)" CH transport is developed/made bei Denon/McIntosh, so there is nothing more to recoup

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I "thought" that the "new(er)" CH transport is developed/made bei Denon/McIntosh, so there is nothing more to recoup

I believe that’s only part of the development but it still takes a significant investment by CH.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing