Why Listen Blind?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
No,this is not anotherblimd test war.

Some time ago I experienced the the tv/radio simulcast. It was usually broadcast by Pubic Radio and Television, They were quite enjoyable. For some reason they never caught on. We can agree that stereo sound repropduction is an attempt to create an illusion (not a mirage) of the real thing. For the most part the appeal has been primarily to our ears. Obviously this only utilizes one of our senses. Our eyesight is the most dominate of our senses . It can be of invaluable assistance in portraying the desired illusion. In the past the quality of video was so inferior as to not make it worth it. Ironically MPT was able to provide a first class analog picture broadcast over the airways.
With thee advent of digital and cable tv you can combine almost unlimited data on one line. Even with physical media memory is ridiculously inexpensive. Consequently storage and transmission of such data can be handled at a reasonable effort and price, I believe. In my opinion
both media have reached a level beyond our previous expectations.
If you combine a SOTA OLED curved screen tv with a highend audio system the results should be very realistic. I say this because I have been listening a lot lately to You tube videos over headphone. The better videos [lace in about row five dead center. Todays' smartphones deliver a picture that rivals or excedehugs the quality of the best video monitors, (Samsung S9+,etal).. I think we all know what a fist rate stereo is capable of doing. In addition a vast majority of videos are recorded live. This gives the artist more opportunity to improvise.
Of course, the primary problem is convincing the source providers participate. The Jill Scott Live in Paris CD is one example of including a disc that incorporates a video CD. However it was played over a DVD player whose priority was video not sound..
I think this approach is inevitable. High end is already bumping up a against the ceiling that is the law of diminishing returns.

That is my opinion. What's yours"?

2001: A Space Odyssey on 4K Blu-ray comes with a separate CD for the music.
I prefer watching the film while the music is playing, in the flesh...eyes and ears wide open, not eyes wide shut.

For strictly music without film's support, my eyes even when open transport me to another set of nature decors that suit the music of my receptive emotions.
I can create my own imaginative motion pictures different than the real decors of my listening room with my eyes open. It's like fixing @ something...a painting, a plant, a canvas, a carpet, a table, a window, a piece of furniture, ...and see different things in my imagination, things that suit the music mood.

I guess it's more or less the same or not for different people.

I often close my eyes at concerts and, with Blu-ray concerts at home, I turn off the monitor.
Aere you a critic and therefore listen differently from the rest of us?

Aere you a critic and therefore listen differently from the rest of us?
I do not think I am different because I am a critic. I think that I am just one of a cohort of music listeners for whom a visual component is, at most, secondary and, at the worst, distracting.

Reactions: tima
I think visual and audio are equaly to the illusion of music reproductiom. I can see your point if what your looking at is stereo equipment. I do not find observing the performance distracting if it is live or a man made image. Incidentally Google defines cohort as 1/10th a legion. If only 10% of audiophiles think like you, that's ok with me.
Let's take a little test... Observe this viseo and listen to the music simultaneously.. Now listen again with only the music . Which one is more "realistic" sounding to you.
"
Of course feel free to chose your own video.

I can see your point if what your looking at is stereo equipment.
Of course, I am not looking at stereo equipment; I use multichannel systems.:p
Incidentally Google defines cohort as 1/10th a legion. If only 10% of audiophiles think like you, that's ok with me.
Me, too, since the number is irrelevant and I have no problem with you disagreeing with me (and vice versa).
Let's take a little test...
I've done that test dozens of times (although not with that selection). In fact, I do it all the time because I listen to and watch every Blu-ray concert/opera/ballet I get but, usually, only the first time. Of these, I find that only the ballets bear repeated viewing.

I get closer to the music accompaniment with moving pictures of the artist players.
Same with dance, ballets, operas, chorales, symphonies, orchestral manoeuvres, jazz ensembles, chamber quartets, etc. The more all my senses are involved in the music the closer I am.
It's the same climbing up a mountain.

Ok Kal what is it specifically you find,"secondary and at worst distracting" because is a part of the whole?

Yes,I encourage dissent . I solicited it in the OP. It is you who sought the support of your cohorts. If it was irrelavant , why did you raise it? Funny while I enjoy the video portion of Blu-ray I don't care at all for the sound.
Yes I am aware of your excellent reviews on multichannel sound. Remember I am not speaking just to you, but to the forum as a whole. In addition I assume your equipment is visible at least in part when you are listening to it. Please accept my apology if am in error.

Last edited:
Ok Kal what is it specifically you find,"secondary and at worst distracting" because is a part of the whole?
I can listen to a good performance of good music over and over and be interested in it. I also discover new things in the music each time. OTOH, the visuals are boringly repetitive and I can concentrate better on the music without them flashing around on the screen.

Yes,I encourage dissent . I solicited it in the OP. It is you who sought the support of your cohorts. If it was irrelavant , why did you raise it?
Just to note that (1) it has nothing to do with being a reviewer and (2) that I am not unique.

Funny while I enjoy the video portion of Blu-ray I don't care at all for the sound.
It is not my favorite format but, if the music and performance are attractive, it will do. In fact, I eventually rip the audio from the ones I like so that I can put them on my server.

Yes I am aware your excellent reviews on multichannel sound. Remember I am not speaking just to you, but to the forum as a whole.
Good and I am replying just as one of the guys.

In addition I assume your equipment is visible at least in part when you are listening to it. Please accept my apology if am in error.
Really, only the speakers are up front. In my main system, the only monitor is on the equipment stand which is behind me to my right. Makes it hard to watch. In the other system, the screen is up front but the equipment rack is to the left of the left front speaker.

Let me add that I had great expectations, first with DVD and now with BD, for having the visuals enhance my enjoyment but rarely has that happened. Without a lot of effort, I cannot estimate how many met expectations but probably a dozen or so.

I do agree with one thing. I can listen to my favorite song endlessly My favorite movie is more likely to be dependent on how it plays out. That is to say that there is no need for a spoiler alert on my favorite song.
However when you combine audio and video I find the experience enhanced at least by a factor one-half. Perhaps I am better at multi-tasking. Facial expression such as smiling,frowning,crying and even dancing enhance the reality of the experience.

However when you combine audio and video I find the experience enhanced at least by a factor one-half. Perhaps I am better at multi-tasking. Facial expression such as smiling,frowning,crying and even dancing enhance the reality of the experience.
Well, some of our differences may derive from the kinds of music we listen to. I don't care what expressions the second violinists make.

Well, some of our differences may derive from the kinds of music we listen to. I don't care what expressions the second violinists make.
Now that you are just "one of the guys" I am sure your disinterest(personal preference) in the "expressions of the secomd violinist" is not asubbject open to debate. I have seen several excellent classical music videos. I am a music omnivore . I do enjoy some music genres more than others. I regard music as a performance and an attempt to convey a message. Whatever that message is. I think it is mistake to ignore mental cues visual or auditory. It does nit matter if that ignorance is accomplished by mental indifference, dimming or turning off the lights or even not recording it all.
Is it possible that you objectt more to the execution of the concept, than the concept it self?

Reactions: microstrip
I have not always thought this way. I can remember the time when I did not want my tv in the same room with my stereo. Let alone connected to it. Times have changed.

I prefer being basically blinded when listening with a purpose. I've setup my room to be VERY dark,even mid-day. Its basically a cave with as few distractions as possible. Just the audio system and a tablet PC.

The brightest lights in the room are from the Pass Labs soft blue hue (which I enjoy) and the somewhat annoying Blue LED emitting from my DAC. I'll tape that bugger off at some point once I find the motivation to do so.

For me, even needing to squint from the brighter LED in the room results in me losing focus on listening sometimes and instead I find myself focusing on the fact that I'm squinting and cursing under my breath about the light every now and again.

No TV's or other visual distractions for me

Is it possible that you objectt more to the execution of the concept, than the concept it self?
Nope. Early on, I greatly anticipated the combination of good audio and good video to further enhance my overall appreciation of the music.

However, after buying and playing more than 150 blu-ray concerts, my interest in the video component simply faded without any explicit decision or change in doctrine.

Reactions: bonzo75
If you like the soft blue hue of s a Pass amp, you should try Steve's G7 tube. It can only only cbe called a light bulb.I for one stopped staring at audio equipment, opened my eyes and looked at the artist. The screen does look better in low light.
I listen to at least 5-10 you tube videos per night. The good ones are repeated. That dies not include my search for new music(new to me).

NorthStar. You are funny.

Yes the idea is good; roll down for serious listening without reflections, and roll up for movie/music video time. Ultra audiophiles would never dare, but modest audiophiles I can see those in their future.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu