XA25 to XA60.8 or X260.8 on Harbeths ?

KingPrAwn

Sep 13, 2021
Hi everyone

I am looking for some guidance from the experience folks in the forum (and good fun chatter too)

My current setup is Pass XP-22 pre into XA25 to Harbeth SHL5+ 40 Anniversary Edition. Source is Roon-Tidal on Brooklyn Bridge.

Music type vocal jazz blues classical acapella and slow pop ( no hardcore slam wham music).

Looking to upgrade the XA25 for more presence/oomphs/authority on the Harbeths.
Budget wise I can only consider the XA60.8 or X260.8. Any comments on which amp may play better on the Harbeths?

Where I am, there is no chance to demo either amps. Have to pop the cash and hope for the best. And never know how the other would have turned out.

I did email Pass and they responded saying the x150.8 or x260.8 may play better than the xa60.8 mainly due to the harbeth. Also it would be a step up from the XA25. Looking to hear your comments too before I decide.

Also I wouldn’t mind to hear if you have demoed both the amps on other speakers and why pick one over the other (XA60.8 and X260.8). (Again I know if subjective but I can’t demo). If I upgrade speakers may very well go with

I can get my hands on the xa60.8 a few k cheaper and no waiting time compared to say a x260.8.

Appreciate all your responses.
thanks and stay safe!

KP

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
That is after reading this forum over the years! :).

With Covid, it’s harder now on stock availability, shipping and even going about to hang out at the hifi shops. Hence looking forward to some insights from the folks here!
we are in lockdown in Melbourne Australia Still.no hifi show last year and this year.

scot

Jan 4, 2018
HI KP

First, a couple questions.

1. What are the dimensions of the room?
2. Which speaker wires are you using?

I’ve owned a Pass X350.8 for two years on a pair of Maggie’s (3.7i’s) and that amp had tons of drive and authority. Your Harbeths do need some power to sound their best but no more so than the 3.7i’s.

I’ve been using an XA30.8 (basically the balanced version of your XA25) for the last 5 years. I used the XA30.8 on the Maggie’s for a few years with great results. I then switched speakers and bought a pair of Eminent Technology LFT8B’s. By now, you’ve probably figured out I’m a big fan of planar magnetic midrange drivers. The LFT8B’s are 83db 1w/1m so they also need some power to sound their best.

Pass Labs class a/b amps sound great but their magic is in their pure class a designs. The X350.8 was a very good sounding amp but the XA30.8 is a better sounding amp. I would never go back to their class a/b designs (as nice as they are). If you’re worried about drive capability, don’t. That XA30.8 is rated at 30 wpc but that’s laughable. The drive capability on that amp is unbelievable. I drove the 3.7i’s with 2 of their DWM woofers wired in parallel which meant that amp was driving a constant 2 ohm load! That amp drove that load effortlessly for three years and always remained extremely musical. Most amps would have just tripped the protection circuitry and would have shut off.

I think if you get rid of your XA25 and replace it with one of their class a/b amps, (doesn’t matter which one) you’ll have taken one step forward (maybe more bass) but two steps back (less articulate and tuneful bass) and nowhere near the quality of midrange and high frequency musicality.

You might want to look at upgrading your interconnect and/or speaker wire. You may also want to experiment with speaker placement by moving them a little closer to the wall behind them. I would start with speaker placement. I have found that moving a speaker 1/4” can sometimes make the difference between good & great. Best of luck. Take care.

Best regards
Scot

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I agree with Pass's response. For Harbeths, go with the leaner more incisive sounding amp to (try to) balance them out. In the Pass line, that's definitely one of the Class AB's. I think more power is better in this case, too. So x260 or even x350. The best I've ever heard Harbeths sounding was when I heard them driven by Plinius monoblocks.

RussR

Dec 30, 2017
Gold Coast ,Queensland,Australia
I agree with Pass's response. For Harbeths, go with the leaner more incisive sounding amp to (try to) balance them out. In the Pass line, that's definitely one of the Class AB's. I think more power is better in this case, too. So x260 or even x350. The best I've ever heard Harbeths sounding was when I heard them driven by Plinius monoblocks.
The head designer of Plinius up to 2005 Gary Morrison was a Harbeth fan ,and his Pure Audio amps also sounded great on Harbeth.
RussR

Reactions: bazelio

rubinken

Jan 15, 2020
Olympia, WA, USA
I suggest that you call Mark at Reno Hifi. I am not associated with them, other than being a satisfied customer. Mark will give you his well informed opinions. He also offers a generous refund/exchange policy so you can listen to them in your room with your electronics, acoustics & music choices.Good luck.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing