Zero Distortion: Soulution pre, KR Va 200, with some videos

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
http://zero-distortion.org/soulution-pre-kr-va-200/

1. KR VA 200 to Vitus Signature 50w SS010 and the Edge NL while driving Avalon Compass Diamonds with Brinkmann Balance, Allnic H3000 Phono and Allnic L5000 pre. Also compared to the Allnic A5000 (60w) with KR 300b tubes which is the stock amp driving this system, and to the Kronzilla 45w

2. Comparing the Soulution 720 pre to the Allnic 5000 pre in the above Avalon system.

3. We compared various carts over the last year from Koetsu Jade with Diamond Cantilever, Urushi with ESCO paratrace, Decca London reference, various SPUs, FR 7Fz, FR 7fc, and FR 7 PW1 (professional world). All were easily swappable with headshells on his FR 66s

Attachments

• Carts.jpeg
    Carts.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Howard Avalon 1.JPG
    Howard Avalon 1.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Howard Avalon 2.JPG
    Howard Avalon 2.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Howard Rack.JPG
    Howard Rack.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: gilles13 and sujay

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Interesting re: Soulution pre. I tried the 5-series with my Lampi & Berning Quads and was impressed. In fact I liked the whole Soulution package (DAC / pre / power), and if starting from scratch would listen in more detail.
The best pre I've heard in my system to date is the CH L1 + X1, closely followed by the Riviera APL-01. I would only go with CH if I was intending to end up with an all-CH system, which I don't think is likely. I intend to hear more of the Riviera.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting re: Soulution pre. I tried the 5-series with my Lampi & Berning Quads and was impressed. In fact I liked the whole Soulution package (DAC / pre / power), and if starting from scratch would listen in more detail.
The best pre I've heard in my system to date is the CH L1 + X1, closely followed by the Riviera APL-01. I would only go with CH if I was intending to end up with an all-CH system, which I don't think is likely. I intend to hear more of the Riviera.

Soulution worked with the 242?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Yep

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
14 feet out, and extremely sensitive to toe in and placement. Year end he put up his room for painting, and asked the painters to not touch the speakers as he hadn't marked their positions. Naturally they moved them away so when he came back from holiday his system was totally broken (though some might think it had to do with a change in the wall color).

We then got it right but I would really like to see what happens when we push them further back and wider.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
http://zero-distortion.org/soulution-pre-kr-va-200/

1. KR VA 200 to Vitus Signature 50w SS010 and the Edge NL while driving Avalon Compass Diamonds with Brinkmann Balance, Allnic H3000 Phono and Allnic L5000 pre. Also compared to the Allnic A5000 (60w) with KR 300b tubes which is the stock amp driving this system, and to the Kronzilla 45w

2. Comparing the Soulution 720 pre to the Allnic 5000 pre in the above Avalon system.

3. We compared various carts over the last year from Koetsu Jade with Diamond Cantilever, Urushi with ESCO paratrace, Decca London reference, various SPUs, FR 7Fz, FR 7fc, and FR 7 PW1 (professional world). All were easily swappable with headshells on his FR 66s
You say Madfloyd tried an Aries Cerat preamp? In his own system? Is there some kind of report on this or is it hearsay?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You say Madfloyd tried an Aries Cerat preamp? In his own system? Is there some kind of report on this or is it hearsay?

No he did. Audioquattr did as well. No posted report, but both of them after trying various valve preamps ended up with SS ones for their valve power amp. That was the point. Though if AQ later goes to an OTL pre, I would not know

Reactions: Number9

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
No he did. Audioquattr did as well. No posted report, but both of them after trying various valve preamps ended up with SS ones for their valve power amp. That was the point. Though if AQ later goes to an OTL pre, I would not know
I confirm MF,he did,though one with a bad pair of IT (inverted triode ) tubes(end of their life).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Don't want to hijack the thread by any means Ked,there is information on our webpage,on Impera page.
It is proprietary tech.These IT tubes have much shorter life span and we give enough to users to compensate.
However,when they give up their juice,they are really gone.
I only realized that that was the issue after the unit returned...what can you do?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is inverted triode tubes?

As far as I know it is a tube configuration known since at less 1920 - it was initially used for ultra high impedance voltmeters. Most of what is known about this mode of operation ( inverted triode) is presented with great depth in a PhD thesis from 1952 - we can find it it in net. The historical review and summary are easily understood for non technical readers- see: https://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/view...e.com/&httpsredir=1&article=14297&context=rtd a1.jpg

Reactions: Tango

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can you give us the details of the final chices - brands and models?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can you give us the details of the final chices - brands and models?

For audioquattr? He ended up with TAD pre driving the Alieno OTL power, though if he moves later to Alieno pre I cannot say.

Ian had Soulution driving the CAT power and then moved to Dartzeel pre.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing