Zilplex Resonant Devices

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Whilst one of our rooms has been entirely stripped out of all furniture prior to the decorators begging their work leaving the room entirely bare and an Acoustic Hell Hole I thought that an opportunity
had presented itself to run a quick and dirty A / B of the room playing the same track Viz: Stormy Monday From Blues Alley at the exact same volume with and without the application of set of Zilplex Resonant Devices for comparison.
I have been using these tiny devices for a number of years and simply would not be without them.

They have been reviewed by Norm Lutbeg for Dtereo Times back in 2011 https://stereotimes.com/accZiplex112811.shtml

I would recommend earphones on and crank her up for best effect.

A.

B.

Last edited:

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Please re-up those files. I have a set of Zilplex on its way. Read Norm's review all those years ago and thought; that's a great alternative to the very expensive Frank Tsang bowls, or putting all those hideous sound dampening panels all over your listening room.

Ten years later I finally remembered about Zilplex and decided to get a set!!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Ten years later I finally remembered about Zilplex and decided to get a set!!

Bravo , I hope that they work out for you , they are not an easy product to arrange any pre purchase demo , therefore a leap of faith is usually required . I shall have a rummage amongst my files however I have a feeling that they didn’t survive a cull a while back.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Bravo , I hope that they work out for you , they are not an easy product to arrange any pre purchase demo , therefore a leap of faith is usually required . I shall have a rummage amongst my files however I have a feeling that they didn’t survive a cull a while back.

There is now no dealer system for Zilplex (not that there ever really was one) so we have to buy direct from Zilplex. Apparently each set is made by hand and quite labour intensive to produce. The owner Wiebe Greydanus is a retired guy who still does it for the love of it.

I now have a rectangular 15x13 listening room devoid of wall furniture and obstructions - so can actually place these sorts of devices correctly, something I could not do at my previous house.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I now have a rectangular 15x13 listening room devoid of wall furniture and obstructions - so can actually place these sorts of devices correctly, something I could not do at my previous house.

Do report back with your considerations once you have them in place :)

Reactions: Scott Naylor

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I can give a limited report on Zilplex. I have not played with positioning at all yet, just marked up the locations and put them in.
Be warned I have no experience in room treatment apart from basics - throwing some cd/dvd rack and plants in the corner to break up room nodes, and putting a wall hanging at first reflection point on the sides e.t.c - apart from that I am a newb and unsure what to expect or what improvements can be wrought with room treatment.

For all music, the Zilplex brings an ease and refinement. Less fatigue. Its hard to put your finger on what its doing, but reminds me of ground treatment, how ground tweaks brings an all round improvement.

For music that is live, acoustic and anything with soundstage, it increased the image width, but especially depth, a large amount, and made things more clear and defined.

The effect is of course subtle, but well worth it and these are never coming out my system. I have done too many tweaks that make things different but not necessarily better. Zilplex are not like that, they are an improvement with no downside. There is no colouring or tonality changes I could perceive.

The little silver bowls are ultra light, ultra polished and very thin. Wiebe Greydanus of Zilplex says these are the most neutral sounding, designed to resonate at very high frequencies. Apparently one key aspect of Zilplex is not just the bowl, but the little stand it sit's on. They resonate together, and Wiebe did lots of trial an error on metal types, lengths, and diameter thickness of the triangular holder itself. For example the bass units use the exact same resonator bowl, but the triangular stand is slightly bigger, metal slightly thicker.

• Love
Reactions: Argonaut

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Here is some pics...

Attachments

• zilplex-01.jpg
    zilplex-01.jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 14
  • zilplex-02.jpg
    zilplex-02.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 13
  • zilplex-03.jpg
    zilplex-03.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 13

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing