ZYX Ultimate Exceed Omega X /SB2

Basile: Locrian Audio

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
During September Locrian Audio became a ZYX dealer. We received an Ultimate EX Omega (subject of this thread) and the Ultimate EX Dynamic, for which I will come back in the future. ZYX was not in my radar for many years and I never owned one before my collaboration with the importer of ZYX, SORA Sound in Chicago. My reference cartridges have been the Shelter Harmony, Accuphase AC-6, Ikeda 9xx, Ikeda SAI, MSL Signature Gold, Ortofon A-90, Lyra Skala, Jan Allaerts and Transfiguration Orpheus. At the lower end, my go to cartridges are the VDH Frog and the current Shelter 901.

I selected the Omega because I was intrigued by the lapis lazuli balancing ball in the front of the cartridge, the C-1000 Carbon cantilever and the middle of the road pricing, affordable by most audiophiles with a solid analog rig.

The Omega arrived in a unique packaging that I had not seen before. A colorful silk-cotton pouch wrapped in a sealed clear wrap with the marks of the model and the serial number. Inside we have its light carton box with the model identification and the actual cartridge box secured on top by 4 screws. What is interesting, is the multiple non-tampering controls provided by ZYX that ensure the cartridge is brand new and never opened before. The two "Inspected" tapes come off only if you cut them with a sharp knife and the cartridge itself is wrapped with a tape that once removed, it is unusable any further. ZYX also provides a brush, 2 sets of screws and a small screw driver.

I will install the Omega on the Moerch DP-8 12" tonearm and once I have played about 50 records, I will start my critical listening and come back with performance impressions.

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    875.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1384.jpeg
    IMG_1384.jpeg
    774.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1386.jpeg
    IMG_1386.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1387.jpeg
    IMG_1387.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1388.jpeg
    IMG_1388.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    497.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1390.jpeg
    IMG_1390.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1392.jpeg
    IMG_1392.jpeg
    555.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1394.jpeg
    IMG_1394.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 5

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu