Best high end speakers @ $100K

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
Yes, they do. I was there in July.

It would be enough to drive them. Boulder uses YG Hailey 2s to test all their products, including the 866s. If your 866 could not drive the YGs, Boulder would not have released it to you.
That's interesting, thanks. Do you know what amps and sources YG uses to test and demo their speakers? I will try to set up a visit.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
That's interesting, thanks. Do you know what amps and sources YG uses to test and demo their speakers? I will try to set up a visit.
When I was there in July, they were demoing YG Hailey 3s with a Boulder 1110 preamp and Burmester 909 Mk. 5 amps.. I don't know if they have an 866 but the Boulder factory is not far from YG. I visited both in the same day. You could probably take your 866 with you. Steve Huntley at YG can answer all your questions, he worked at Boulder before moving to YG.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
When I was there in July, they were demoing YG Hailey 3s with a Boulder 1110 preamp and Burmester 909 Mk. 5 amps.. I don't know if they have an 866 but the Boulder factory is not far from YG. I visited both in the same day. You could probably take your 866 with you. Steve Huntley at YG can answer all your questions, he worked at Boulder before moving to YG.
I didn't know that Boulder Amps did tours - and I lived about 2 miles from their shop for 13 years! Do you know what sources and DACs Boulder and YG used for their demos? Were they streaming or using a CDP or turntable? Thanks.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Both were streaming Qobuz as I recall. Boulder was using the Boulder 812 as streamer and DAC in their main listening room with the big Focal Grand Utopia EVO speakers and Boulder 3050s, sounded great. YG was using an Innuous streamer and I don't recall the DAC, might have been a Weiss. Both also have turntables and both use the Boulder 2108 phono stage.

Reactions: Rumpole

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I'm also curious about the difference between the v2 and v3. They are out of my price range new, but used or demo units of the older v2 might be an option.
I would say picking up the v2 is a good idea. You can always upgrade them to v3 later. I have the XV2 and just picked up a used pair of Hailey 1.1s. The YG sound is plainly evident with the Hailey 1.1s, probably the best standmount 2 way I have heard.

I don't know the sound of the v3 well enough. I would probably have to hear them side by side to discern the difference. I watched a YT interview with Steve Huntley where the interviewer said that the V3s had a warmer tone than the V2s and did not get push pack. If so, that would suggest YG are now voicing their speakers, something they never did before. Most audiophiles seem to prefer voiced speakers so it would make sense, but I don't know if that is the case. If it is, I will probably pass on upgrading the XV2 to V3. I may pass on the upgrade due to cost anyway, though. I can't upgrade the Hailey 1.1 to full V3 but could get the new tweeter, but won't be doing that.

Reactions: ctydwn and Rumpole

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
I would say picking up the v2 is a good idea. You can always upgrade them to v3 later.
I talked with Steve and he said that there will be a review out sometime next week on the V3. Some of the updates he mentioned are the new tweeter, the cabinet wave guide for the tweeter, and a new cross over.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
about Two years ago,
I decided that An upgrade is needed,
I had a Wilson Audio MAXX 2s (were retailed at 45,000$) and my "natural" choice was towards ALEXX or ALEXX V which is where I might have gone, if I had gone in the direction of Wilson anyway,

after a few Listens, Demos at costumer's home, who kindly hosted me and at my local's distributor's, quite a few speakers ,ranging approx. from $30,000 to $150,000 ,
and I really didn't intend to go crazy...
I wished that speakers of saying $50,000 would be able to move me and charm me and sweep me away,
but I didn't find any unfortunately,
had to increased the budget even reached the same amounts that I mentioned before,
The speakers that moved me the most, which speakers I'm with today!
I looked at many "names", among them quite a few names and models that appear here in this thread.

my Speakers Range depending on the version, between 70,000 euros to 280,000 euros,
my version is in the middle you could say, sort of..(Classic c3 with the highest KONDO internal CROSS & Wiring)
a relatively expensive price tag (104,500 euros), but among the best results I heard and moved me to tears!

No need to go crazy, suggest going to experience even the "basic version" (Classic C1)
Can also say that quite a few speakers (at my Local distributor) moved from the same "marketing names", to kaiser Acoustics speakers Not necessarily the Classic Kawero models .

choose wisely with your ears (not your eyes)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing