Hong Kong Genesis Dragon Launch

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Gary, can you show us a close-up of the design on the inner wings of the midrange/tweeter towers please.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

beautiful...thanks for taking the time. If i may ask to learn...you've got tower subs...6 front firing, 6 back firing...that i understand. and they're powered...also understand that. you've got a 6' tall ribbon...midrange...that i understand. you've also got 12 tweeters...why did you decide to have these 12 tweeters instead of running the treble thru the ribbon? Or have the midrange run thru the 12 tweeters?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Gary,

I think that's just two floors above the old sound chamber. What time will you be there on September 25?

Sam

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
beautiful...thanks for taking the time. If i may ask to learn...you've got tower subs...6 front firing, 6 back firing...that i understand. and they're powered...also understand that. you've got a 6' tall ribbon...midrange...that i understand. you've also got 12 tweeters...why did you decide to have these 12 tweeters instead of running the treble thru the ribbon? Or have the midrange run thru the 12 tweeters?

I've got 20 tweeters plus 6 more rear-firing.

Two reasons for having ribbon tweeters instead of running the treble through the midrange - dispersion and extension. You don't want to have high frequencies coming out of a transducer that is larger than 1/2 wavelength. So, with the width of the midrange ribbon, it should not be used above about 4kHz. The midrange ribbon in order to be able to go down to below 200Hz is also too heavy for frequencies above 20kHz.

Besides - having the midrange and tweeter sounded much better than even a crossover-less midrange.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary,

I think that's just two floors above the old sound chamber. What time will you be there on September 25?

Sam

That's right. There are quite a number of high-end companies there.

Where did Sep 25 come from? I was there, and back in Seattle already.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's right. There are quite a number of high-end companies there.

Where did Sep 25 come from? I was there, and back in Seattle already.

I think from your original post?

I'm going to be in Hong Kong for the launch of the Genesis Dragon this weekend (from Sep 25th to Sep 29th). Anybody else going to be there?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've got 20 tweeters plus 6 more rear-firing.

Two reasons for having ribbon tweeters instead of running the treble through the midrange - dispersion and extension. You don't want to have high frequencies coming out of a transducer that is larger than 1/2 wavelength. So, with the width of the midrange ribbon, it should not be used above about 4kHz. The midrange ribbon in order to be able to go down to below 200Hz is also too heavy for frequencies above 20kHz.

Besides - having the midrange and tweeter sounded much better than even a crossover-less midrange.

Very interesting! Thanks for that. And you also have rear-firing...seems like you have truly thought of everything!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think from your original post?

Oops!! I meant August. That's why ppl were surprised I was already taking pictures. My bad.

The speakers will be in the showroom until they pack them up for the China show, so they will still be there Sep 25th to 29th. Hopefully they won't be sold before then :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Oops!! I meant August. That's why ppl were surprised I was already taking pictures. My bad.

The speakers will be in the showroom until they pack them up for the China show, so they will still be there Sep 25th to 29th. Hopefully they won't be sold before then :)

On the contrary, I hope they are! You can close the deal, and ship a second pair out to be sold again!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Very interesting! Thanks for that. And you also have rear-firing...seems like you have truly thought of everything!

It is the ultimate - I did try to think of everything. During the launch in Hong Kong, three groups of visitors independently said that they were the "destination" speakers because there was nothing more that they could ask for. The biggest surprise to everyone was how something that large and massive could play something small and delicate with such finesse.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is the ultimate - I did try to think of everything. During the launch in Hong Kong, three groups of visitors independently said that they were the "destination" speakers because there was nothing more that they could ask for. The biggest surprise to everyone was how something that large and massive could play something small and delicate with such finesse.

The speakers i would most like to hear are: Arrakis II and your Genesis 1.2s.

I have been fortunate to hear the Tidal Sunrays with Tower subs, all but 1 generation of Wilson X-series from X-1 thru XLF...plus a lot of smaller big speakers (Maxx2, Magico Q5, ML CLX with Descent Subs, Thiel CS7, B&W 800, SF Stradivari. I have heard/read great things about Q7 and Gryphon Poseiden & now Pendragons...

...for some reason yours and the Arrakis II intrigue me the most...mainly based on direct feedback from audiophiles i know/trust who have heard your speakers and Rockports.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is unfortunate that with the state of the market and the state of the economy, there aren't many dealers in the world who could afford to demo such a speaker. The Hong Kong showroom we had them in was barely large enough. We had to leave the doors open so as to allow the speakers to breath. The room was wide enough (7m) but not long enough (8m)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

No, I mean the gold looking, possible logo or design on the inner wings that looks to be a little less than two feet above the floor. NOT the surface texture of the carbon fiber.

The carbon fiber design/texture looks great!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, Can you tell us a little bit about what I think is the Air Force One tt? Seen lot's of pics from the Far East but never seen, nor heard it close up and personal!

Myles,

Yes, that is a TechDAS Air Force One turntable - sitting on it's own TechDAS Air Force One rack. Here's a close-up picture.

Air Force One.jpg

It is quite an amazing piece - the sponsor, Nishikawa-san is one of the top audio distributors in Japan, and he commissioned it to be designed and built using everything he liked from various turntable manufacturers, including Micro Seiki. It's so heavy that we couldn't shift it and it sits on a rack that was also commissioned to have the best of everything.

Sonically, it is quite amazing. I can't think of anything more I could want from a turntable except for it being something I can afford. From what my distributor told me, price is on application, but it is well into US six-figures. The vacuum pump is so silent that we could not hear it working - even in the ultra quiet demo room. Playing Eric Clapton unplugged, it was like he materialized in front of us. Didn't even have to close my eyes. If you ever get the chance to review one, it would be better to refuse. I'm back home, and I still can't get the system out of my mind. I'm going to have to try to get some of the Viola electronics to demo with at CES. I don't think that I'll be able to borrow an Air Force One though. *sigh!*

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It is unfortunate that with the state of the market and the state of the economy, there aren't many dealers in the world who could afford to demo such a speaker. The Hong Kong showroom we had them in was barely large enough. We had to leave the doors open so as to allow the speakers to breath. The room was wide enough (7m) but not long enough (8m)

Yes, economy is a challenge for nearly all of us. That is one challenge...the other is room size. Of the audiophiles dedicated enough to get 6' to 7' speakers...only a subset have a room that is at least 23' x 30' where they could put the system. In any event, i would still love to hear your speakers. Based on feedback, along with comments from people who have heard ML Statements, IRS Vs, i can only imagine the nuanced yet full-scale music your speakers make. I am in Tokyo and NYC over the next few months...any luck to hear them in either city?

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Beautiful stufff Gary ,

Unfortunately not just the economy Gary, but decades of bad dealers have killed the sales on big ticket items. i dont even go into stereo stores anymore , i buy online , if i dont like , then i sell and move on . So buying a big ticket item like yours is very difficult for most, ( cash aside :)) when you cant mosey on down and see it , listen and or touch, as we could do , Decades gone , when one could walk in look around listen , rinse , repeat , then come back and purchase.

My last time was with a friend who asked me to follow along to listen to the new 3.6 Maggies, he had an "appointment " and wanted me to hear before picking up the speaker. Well the setup was horrible, really bad and i guess this dealer had no clue, We were not impressed and asked if we could hear the 20.1 in the main room . Not possible, we did not have an appointment to hear it , it would take them an Hr to set it up ( it was already playing in the back ground) blah, blah, blah . To make an already long story short ..

I told him the 3.6 setup was bad and if we could not hear the 20.1 to see if he liked it , then we would not purchase. We left, he purchased used from a local audiophile, who had them well setup . So far , most audiophiles i know of , purchase off the internet ( amps etc.) instead of the pain and agony of dealing with these goons ..

My XA30.5 was purchased online without hearing it ......

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, economy is a challenge for nearly all of us. That is one challenge...the other is room size. Of the audiophiles dedicated enough to get 6' to 7' speakers...only a subset have a room that is at least 23' x 30' where they could put the system. In any event, i would still love to hear your speakers. Based on feedback, along with comments from people who have heard ML Statements, IRS Vs, i can only imagine the nuanced yet full-scale music your speakers make. I am in Tokyo and NYC over the next few months...any luck to hear them in either city?

Those are the two cities with the highest cost of real estate :D Exactly the last places I would be able to get a dealer to demo them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing