Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but.........

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Imitation is sometimes regarded as the sincerest form of flattery to many, but designers and manufacturers who are having their designs counterfeited hate this form of flattery. It causes us a lot of grief, time, and money. Telling someone who thinks that they bought a genuine product that we will not service them is also difficult.

Unless you buy from an authorized Genesis dealer and distributor, please check the serial numbers with us before you bid on eBay or buy online.

If it doesn't have a Genesis logo, it is not our product. And our logo looks like this:

GenesisLogo.jpg

I know that there are a few "G928 SE" subwoofers with piano-black cabinets, but the speakers do not have a logo on the front, and the plate amplifier is plain black with no logos or markings (that's already a huge give-away) that were supposedly made by "the OEM manufacturer that builds these for Genesis". No, we will not service these. Don't even ask.

All Genesis loudspeakers are completely built in-house in our factory in Seattle. There has been no off-site assembly factory in the US, Europe or China and there will never be.

Any Genesis loudspeaker from a Chinese "Authorized factory" is false and counterfeit. We know that there were some "Genesis 502", "Genesis APM-1" and "Genesis 350" made in China, but as far as we can tell, that factory closed down over 5 years ago, and they used a Chinese version of the logo. Those had terrible bass because they could not figure out the servo-control and Class D amplifier. So, the cabinet was way too small for the woofers, and the amplifier was so under-powered it wasn't funny. I had a friend who heard an "APM-1" that sounded like a transistor radio with a 15-inch woofer.

One easy way to check is that the product has our logo plate on it. This is difficult and very expensive to counterfeit because it is electro-deposited gold on stainless steel. The logo should have a significant thickness to the touch - not just paint. It is detailed and sharp.

logo-small.jpg

Logo detail.jpg

We will also service products from the old Genesis Technologies (1991 - 2000) to the best of our ability. Unfortunately, due to their age some parts are no longer available. However, many of these that are modified or serviced by other parties are beyond rescue.

We are unable to service products from Genesis Physics (1975 - 1987) - for these, go to www.humanspeakers.com.

There was also a "White Van Scam" with Genesis loudspeakers that took us two years and we had to get our lawyers involved to shut down. We even got a call from the Sheriff of a small county out East who bought what he thought was a great deal. When I explained it to him, his words were "Damn! I of all people should have known better." Two guys in a white van meet you in the parking lot of Best Buy and tell you that they have extra speakers because the warehouse gave them an extra pair that they can let you have for a "great price". The MSRP (usually thousands of dollars) is printed on the box or they show you a full page ad in Stereophile listing the price - and the price is well below retail. But you have to pay cash.
See the eBay guide here: http://reviews.ebay.com/Kirsch-Gene...amp-White-Van-Speakers?ugid=10000000002467097

I guess my message is that you get what you paid for. In the last case, you probably get quite a bit less than what you paid for.

Don't be fooled by imitation and counterfeit Genesis loudspeakers.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Boy, protecting a brand name is hard work.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boy, protecting a brand name is hard work.

It is!! I was more than half an hour into a phone call with someone who wanted support and how to repair his speakers before realizing that it was a knock-off.

I'm more than willing to help DIY-types who are trying to learn something and build something for themselves, but not a counterfeiter who is trying to scam my customers.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
especially from the chinese. You name any industry and they are there making knock-off's or stealing intellectual property. It's kind of gov't mandated, really...

Yes, it is mandated by the Chinese government. Go to the Chinese Institute of Engineers and read their "objectives" statement: http://www.cie-usa.org/2011History2.htm

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, it is mandated by the Chinese government. Go to the Chinese Institute of Engineers and read their "objectives" statement: http://www.cie-usa.org/2011History2.htm

I don't see where they mandate making knock-offs or stealing intellectual property.

And even more wrong - this is not the Chinese government. This is the Taiwanese CIE. Therein lies one of the biggest problems of politics. China regards Taiwan as a runaway state. Taiwan regards itself as "China".

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
especially from the chinese. You name any industry and they are there making knock-off's or stealing intellectual property. It's kind of gov't mandated, really...

I'm Chinese...... one of the co-owners of the Chinese factory who started knocking off Genesis is American. He also told dealers in China that he was a co-owner of Genesis (false - I would never have ANYTHING to do with him) and hence was authorized to make "Genesis" loudspeakers in China. Thankfully, he was arrested for something totally unrelated to Genesis and the factory closed down.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-Obviously I have to defer to your greater understanding of China and Taiwan. I can't possibly look at scripts and pick out Chinese from Taiwanese. As much as I thought I knew about the relationship between China and Taiwan, I didn't realize that Taiwan "claims" China. I'm certainly aware that China "claims" Taiwan. I just didn't know it worked in both directions. I always thought the problem was that Taiwan considers itself to be separate from China vice claiming China.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
OT - a very short history of China/Taiwan.

The last dynasty in China was Qing. In it's last days, it was a weak government and "invaders" (including UK and US) signed treaties that made China subservient and semi-colonial. The Qing dynasty was overthrown by Dr Sun Yat-Sen who founded the Republic of China ending 2,000 years of feudal monarchic rule in China. Dr Sun founded the right-wing Kuomingtang (capitalist), and fought with the Communist party. The Chinese Civil War was interrupted by the Japanese invasion and WWII. During the Japanese invasion, the Kuomingtang under Chiang Kai-Shek and the Communist Party cooperated to repel the invaders. After WWII, the Kuomingtang launched an offensive against the Communist Party and were defeated. Chiang and his followers fled to the island of Taiwan with their remnant Kuomingtang troops and they continued to call themselves the Republic of China.

On the mainland, the People's Republic of China (PRC) was founded 1949 with Mao Ze-Dong as Chairman.

What irks the PRC is that when Chiang was fighting the Japanese, he moved thousands of crates of Chinese Imperial Treasures to Taiwan for "safekeeping" and the best treasures of China's history ended up in the Taiwanese Museum - just like the Elgin Marbles are a controversy between the British and the Greeks - only on a vastly larger scale.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Gary-Thanks for the insight. I just thought that Taiwan doesn't trust China and wants to be considered as a separate entity from China and not part of China. I really didn't understand that Taiwan wants to claim China. I had no idea about the theft of Chinese Imperial Treasures by Taiwan. That alone should have justified a war between the Chinese and the Taiwanese according to the way the Chinese react about everything else they fight about. Look what is going on now between the Chinese and the Japanese over the Senkaku Islands.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
PRC regards the loss as "looted treasures". RoC regards the treasures as belonging to China, and they are the real Republic of China. That's why when I read the CIE link you posted, Dr Sun Yet-Sin leapt out at me.

As with all history, the winner re-writes it. Finding out the truth is sometimes more interesting than what's in the books :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
no Gary. That was not what I was implying. Only speaking from my own family business perspective. We have an ITC suit pending against a Chinese company that "Stole" from our company...I will leave it at that.

Sorry to hear that, Christian. I was just a little irritated at the implication that all Chinese are knock-offs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've seen her act in Las Vegas and prior to seeing her I was never a fan (even though she has recorded a few songs that I really like). The show at Caesar's Palace is usually sold out and it was full when I went. Suffice it to say the show was well polished and on a huge stage and it drew me in from the start. She is a terrific performer. Good to see a Québécoise such a successful performer. She's back at Caesar's again

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing