LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

If its a genuine Mullard it should have an etched code on the glass for tubes made after 1950 or so. This is a two part code, the first letter-number combo dictates the build structure and the 2nd character set, the plant (factory) and the date code. There are instances where the code is hard to read, but it should always be there. Earlier tubes have the gray smoked coating in the glass, later ones not.
I also read Brent Jesse's comments about Brown/Black base, He is very reputable. So I don't quite understand? The Brown Bases can take more heat build up they were used a lot in guitar amps, because of that they could be used vertically or horizontal. After reading the ambiguity on Brown/Black I called a few knowledgeable people I know and they said they have seen genuine Black Base Mullard's. I'm doing a crash course in tubes, just attempting to get good solid info to avoid any issues or problems...

outrageous price ? Is he forcing you to purchase the tubes ? The seller has 100% feedback most likely because he's a good seller and then you came along and tried to destroy it . Also this story your making reference to is bs black vs brown . I was a power seller on eBay for yrs and always dreaded buyers like you .
Sorry Rau, when he sells Mullards as UK tubes that were made in Russia, that alone should tell you all you to know in deciding whether to buy from him. Feel free to do so. Nobody is forcing you to buy from somebody who is honest.

After reading the ambiguity on Brown/Black I called a few knowledgeable people I know and they said they have seen genuine Black Base Mullard's.
To be clear, everyone knows there are black base Mullards. But for his EL34's they were made in Russia, and not in the UK as advertised.

Last edited:
Sorry Rau, when he sells Mullards as UK tubes that were made in Russia, that alone should tell you all you to know in deciding whether to buy from him. Feel free to do so. Nobody is forcing you to buy from somebody who is honest.

To be clear, everyone knows there are black base Mullards. But for the EL34's they were made in Russia, and not in the UK as advertised.
Where is any of this proof ?

I am not going to get involved in the debate here, but I will note that the tube was marked as "British Made" by Mullard, not the now seller. Just as rebranding of tubes was very common (go find an electronic enterprises 274b, it was made by WECo, etc.), so was mismarking the origin at certain points in tube production.

To be clear, everyone knows there are black base Mullards. But for the EL34's they were made in Russia, and not in the UK as advertised.
EL34s as in reissues? They have been making "Mullard" reissues in Russia since 2007 or so. I have a bunch of Xf1s and Xf2s. No one would mistake a new one for one of the Xf series.

I just rolled in the metal base Sylvania 6SN7 to replace the globe Psvanne. Wowza!! Huge uptick. Very fine. Big, bold, smooth and dynamic across the frequency range. This is an excellent tube for the Horizon, especially paired withe the ”Freddy” USAF 596 Recti! Excellent combo

Reactions: christoph
I just rolled in the metal base Sylvania 6SN7 to replace the globe Psvanne. Wowza!! Huge uptick. Very fine. Big, bold, smooth and dynamic across the frequency range. This is an excellent tube for the Horizon, especially paired withe the ”Freddy” USAF 596 Recti! Excellent combo
amazing to hear that someone had a similar experience to what i wrote previously. I have compared this to the tungsols and to my ears in my system - these are definately top of the pile. There is another combination above this but best to not stir up controversy and leave it to the 6sn7w metal base

Very dense and rich harmonics. What did you find better?

But then again, the blue Psvane tennisballs are really nothing special and can easily be bettered :D
What other Triodes have you tried so far?

Reactions: ctydwn
Just these so far. Less than a month in. I am open to suggestions on all fronts. I have some TS KT170s on the way as well

Just these so far. Less than a month in. I am open to suggestions on all fronts. I have some TS KT170s on the way as well
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry if I overread it maybe, but what pentodes are you using so far?

As 6sn7 tubes you can use 6cg7 with noval to to oktal adapter, eletrical the same. From general electric really good tubes.

Last edited:
As 6sn7 tubes you can use 6cg7 with noval to to oktal adapter, eletrical the same. From general eletric really good tubes.
And probably (hopefully) less expensive as well? :eek:

And probably (hopefully) less expensive as well? :eek:
What is today less expensive?;)
You get GE brands, from westinghouse, hewlett packard arround 40 $

Last edited:
FWIW, I have found that any tube recommendation made in this thread not only quickly serves to drive the price of the tube up but very quickly as well makes the tube unobtainium. So of you find a set you like, be certain you also have backups before you post how great they are. We watched this with the 6900. Thomson 5687 and the TS 6SN7GT VT231 round plate as well as several others

FWIW, I have found that any tube recommendation made in this thread not only quickly serves to drive the price of the tube up but very quickly as well makes the tube unobtainium. So of you find a set you like, be certain you also have backups before you post how great they are. We watched this with the 6900. Thomson 5687 and the TS 6SN7GT VT231 round plate as well as several others
No more free lunch...inflation is huge unfortunately

Beware of Hanoitubes

I wanted to make members aware that i have had a very unpleasant interaction with Hanoitubes. I won't go into details but caught him in a clear bait and switch. It took 25 painful emails to straighten thus out as he is dishonest and not reputable. I know some of you may have had success with him, but you should know that he says he has 100% positive feedback because he scrubs his negative feedback. He scrubbed my negative feedback without any notice to me from him or Ebay. Ebay makes money on sellers not buyers. I complained to Ebay and they did nothing only to say they will keep an eye on him in the future. Yeah, right.

I would have let this issue go but I was speaking to another member who was interested in some Mullard ECC32s that Hanoitubes listed (for an outrageous price). However he noticed they have a black base. They are not Blackburn Mullards!! This is from Brent Jesse's (a fantastic seller) web site:

"Look for the early Mullard with the distinctive late 1950s brown micanol base with the "gold dust" appearance, of sparkling mica flakes in the brown matrix. Be careful when buying these! Later versions were made in Russia, but still say "Great Britain" on them! The Russian tubes have a rounded glass top, and a cup or square shape solid getter. They also often have a large, very shiny black base NOT made from bakelite but from an inferior plastic. We do not carry these types in our stock."

If its a genuine UK Mullard, this is what the base should look like!
View attachment 97091
I can support this. Hanoitubes is unreliable

This thread has gone dark. Everyone rolling silently and accumulating their stash? Steve has paused the markets.;)

There are seemingly/literally infinite combinations w the Horizon. But really all sound shades of fantastic. A wonderfully exciting limitless range. Trying to tap the brakes here.

Have found that, with the Tak 274B in my system, I switched my speaker cable and jumper connections on the speaker themselves from diagonal connections to straight speaker cables to upper module and jump to bass module. I feel this provides all the exceptional mid bass on down that the 274B delivers and captures the resolution and upper frequencies that I want. Perhaps balancing out its slight 'dark' lean.

Enjoy!:)Diagonal Connection.jpgStraight to upper module connection.jpg

Last edited:
Just 5 minutes ago received 4 KT170s in the mail. Excited to try them.
The Sylvania metal base 6SN7s are stellar beyond belief in the Horizon. I have them running with the “Franky” rectifier—excellent combo!

Just 5 minutes ago received 4 KT170s in the mail. Excited to try them.
The Sylvania metal base 6SN7s are stellar beyond belief in the Horizon. I have them running with the “Franky” rectifier—excellent combo!
You’re in for a very big treat.
BTW I have noticed the KT170 is readily available and have fallen dramatically in price

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing