Press Release: The fully customizable Genesis Fortè at CES 2016 in Las Vegas

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Here's a fabulous album (on vinyl) that got a lot of airplay and a LOT of compliments. Eva Cassidy is usually my go-to artist when I am asked for "female vocals". Some of the tracks on this album was previously released on CD as "Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley". Believe me, the LP is better - far better.

Nightbird.jpg

Another album that got a lot of airplay was this one from Antonio Forcione. I've demo'ed it often as a high-rez download, but on vinyl it sounds superb. Track 1 on Side 2 perfectly shows off the dynamic range that the show system is capable of - and that perfectly portrays the "African Dawn".

Antonio Forciane.jpg

An album that is an oldie but a goodie. Originally named "Hoover", this Brit band started the genre of Trip Hop. Unfortunately, as "Hoover" was a trademark for a vacuum cleaner in the US, the album was never sold there. For this reissue, the band got renamed "Hooverphonic".

The first track - "a new stereophonic sound spectacular" is a stereophonic sound spectacular!! It's got some of the deepest bass you've ever heard off an album - and when the system can resolve it, nuance and detail in all that deep bass.

Hooverphonic.jpg

It's the end of the day, doors are closed, and Amir's in the room......... Time for some Infected Mushroom!!

I'm the Supervisor.jpg

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Gary

I have Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley so I must order this LP

IIRC you played cuts for me from Hoover when you were recently at my house

I never knew you were an Infected Mushroom fan. I have one of their albums where the bass is so deep that my house literally shakes whenever I play that track

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Infected Mushroom is one of my mainstays during design. They have a temporal element in the music that is very difficult to reproduce without chaos. I have every single one of their CDs and several of the LPs. You MUST order the Eva Cassidy LP. It sounds expensive, but it's a 4-LP album, includes the double CD and a DVD of the concert - making it excellent value.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
An absolutely fascinating album that not only shows off the clarity and low distortion of the system, but draws the listener into the unfamiliar territory of ancient dances. Many listeners will take a picture of the cover after hearing it. Guess it isn't in their collection....... yet.

Ciaramella Dances.jpg

A difficult album to find in good condition, and an even more difficult album to reproduce accurately. I use it to determine where distortions and resonances in the midrange and tweeter appear and then attempt to make them disappear in my design. Great music and a fantastic violin recording at the same time (although in the duets, the piano sometimes seem to be an after thought). The best quote we got from our listeners was when someone was walking out, brochure of the Forte in hand, "I'd better get out of here before I start crying. I can't afford your speakers, but that's the best violin I've heard."

Perlman.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another fabulous Live album - the Main Event featuring the trumpet of Herb Alpert and the fluugelhorn of Hugh Masekela. Fantastic performance by two musicians in their prime. Well recorded and it is easy to distinguish between the different sound of the two very similar instruments. Great for assessing the accuracy of the system reproducing horns. Yes - I managed to buy a promo for a buck. I think that this album is largely ignored. Whenever I mention "Hugh Masekela" to audiophiles, they immediately think of "Stimela". Get this album. It's got better music, and is much, much more fun than Stimela. The sense of space, and the live audience and venue around the performance is spectacular.

Main Event.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
When asked for something a bit more dynamic, happy and exciting, I pull this out. The Hammond B3 organ is one of the most complex instruments to reproduce, and it has never been successfully synthesized. But it is an instrument that can sing with true emotion and nuance. This album is the great Jimmy Smith on the Hammond B3.

Any Number.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Probably the most "Shazamed" album I played was Two Men with the Blues. Wynton Marsalis and Willie Nelson - excellent musicians - going outside their usual genre to have fun together. It sounds like we are friends, and got the rare opportunity to evesdrop on these two musical greats getting together and just having fun.

Wynton Marsalis is absolutely spectacular on this album. He makes the trumpet sing, wail, chirp, blatt and pop. A tremendous test of the cartridge to portray naturally and musically. The Transfiguration Proteus I was using sailed through with honors.

Two Men with the Blues.jpg

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
As far as I can achieve it, I always try to make it a drop-in replacement - just like we did with the plate amp replacement, the titanium dome midrange, etc.

If a crossover replacement is necessary (I don't think so), there will be a price on that. I don't have a price at the moment. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a time machine to turn the clock back to 1995 to price it from then. It's going to have to be 2016 prices.

Understood. I speak for myself only, but perhaps shared sentiments from others, in appreciating the lengths you have gone to in keeping the older speakers running. I have a closet full of stuff from other manufacturers that has not been so well tended :) Hope CES treated you well.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Bob and Gary shared a room at THE Show last year ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As I recall," just buy the exhibit as is. Quite a complement.
For a male vocal try Colorblind by Counting Crows. It is part of the soundtrack from cruel intentions. Available on you tube.
Take my word ;the women love it.

I have stood in line for many shows at blues alley. That's just how it looks

A 888

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As I recall," just buy the exhibit as is. Quite a complement.
For a male vocal try Colorblind by Counting Crows. It is part of the soundtrack from cruel intentions. Available on you tube.
Take my word ;the women love it.
That is one of my favorite tracks on This Desert Life by Counting Crows. But had no idea it was a female attractant!

You made me queue it up and listen to it which I am doing as I type this. A wonderful album:

It is a must own album in Amir's book.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don't mean to hijack Gays thread. I usually check out suggestions quietly. I am a big Eva Cassidy fan once Steve turned me onto her.
For a little jazz education check out Dinah Washington. You will recognize the effect she had. Just create a station for her on Pandota.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hooverphonic! Gary you sly, hip dog you!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I just got done buying all of the albums in digital. Took a while to hunt them all down. I even had my credit card disabled because I tried to order from Naim!

Thanks a bunch Gary.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, Bob Clarke told me you guys had phenomenal sound at CES. Congrats on the new speakers....

Thanks. It wasn't just the speakers - they are the end of the chain, and any weak spot would have shown through. Bob supplied the Transfiguration Proteus cartridge - and that's phenomenal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing