Ron's Favorite Private Rooms + Systems of All Time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I always have to laugh about your responses to Ked's posts about your products, he is your biggest fan and promoter, most of us would probably not have heard of Mayer without him ! Give him some slack ! :)

His 46 amps and the10y preamp are fantastic. The 46 cannot be used with most speakers but the 10y is definitely on my list provided it has synergy with whichever amp I choose.

His stuff is well engineered and doesn’t break easily, in fact I have heard of no reports and only praise for how things are inside the chassis from other engineers.

So I don’t mind his tone.

I am not a fan of the 211 drives 211 amp, or the older 45/2a3. His phono sounds good with all Mayer chain, but when Bill auditioned he let the phono go and kept the preamp and the basic 46. At Audioquattr’s the thrax and Lampi phono both sound better than the Mayer copper phono. And his Elrog 801a valves were not good compared to RCA or Cunningham but Audioquattr loves the special TM 300b above the Elrog, KR, western electric reissues. I have yet to compare the TM 300b. Just to put things in perspective. Not all products from all designers are going to suit but all good designers are making some things great. Which is why they are in business.

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.thomasmayer.li
Thanks Ked,

Sorry about my tone, I realise that sometimes I can come across a bit harsh in writing.

I am not a fan of the 211 drives 211 amp, or the older 45/2a3

The 211/211 are very different amps. May I ask which ones you heard? There are not many of my 211/211 amps out in the field. The only ones which I demoed publicly about 10 years ago were an old design which got vastly improved. The 45/2A3 is a much simpler design using indirectly heated drivers

And his Elrog 801a valves were not good compared to RCA or Cunningham

Fair enough. Most of the users of my 10Y preamp prefer the Elrog ER801A to the NOS tubes. But tastes can differ of course and I can still deliver the 10Y preamp with NOS tubes. There is also a TM801A with similar characteristics as the TM300B. Also some brand new tube types in development for preamp use which I will demo at the upcoming Munich show.

best regards

Thomas

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ked,

Sorry about my tone, I realise that sometimes I can come across a bit harsh in writing.

The 211/211 are very different amps. May I ask which ones you heard? There are not many of my 211/211 amps out in the field. The only ones which I demoed publicly about 10 years ago were an old design which got vastly improved. The 45/2A3 is a much simpler design using indirectly heated drivers

Fair enough. Most of the users of my 10Y preamp prefer the Elrog ER801A to the NOS tubes. But tastes can differ of course and I can still deliver the 10Y preamp with NOS tubes. There is also a TM801A with similar characteristics as the TM300B. Also some brand new tube types in development for preamp use which I will demo at the upcoming Munich show.

best regards

Thomas

the 211 was with the general so we compared it to the 46 and the NAT Magma on the pnoe. It was later tried on the horns speaker (don’t remember the model it is the hybrid, lower than the universum)

the Elrog 801a report is iirc also the same in 6 moons were Srajaen, you, Dan etc did a compare of the 801/10y where the group seems to have preferred the old stock

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
“Swapping 10Y drivers, all of us preferred the classic NOS. Thomas opined that given the original's already thoriated Tungsten filaments, there was very little room for improvement .”

probably a prototype at that time

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.thomasmayer.li
the 211 was with the general so we compared it to the 46 and the NAT Magma on the pnoe. It was later tried on the horns speaker (don’t remember the model it is the hybrid, lower than the universum)

That was not a 211 drive 211. That was a much much simpler 211 amplifier with indirectly heated driver tube (6HS5). I agree the 6HS5/211 is sonically not comparable to the differential 46 amps. In fact I currently do not offer the 6HS5/211 anymore. 211/211 play on a very different level although I personally would prefer the 46 if their power is sufficient

the Elrog 801a report is iirc also the same in 6 moons were Srajaen, you, Dan etc did a compare of the 801/10y where the group seems to have preferred the old stock

There was a meeting with the 3 of us but at that time the Elrog ER801A did not exist yet. Dan received some of the first prototypes of the 801A later on. I personally prefer the ER801A. Some customers like the old production tubes more but I estimate 3/4 of the 10Y preamp users run ER801A, ER801A-Mo or TM801A

Best regards

Thomas

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, I haven’t heard the 801a-Mo or the TM 801

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.thomasmayer.li
“Swapping 10Y drivers, all of us preferred the classic NOS. Thomas opined that given the original's already thoriated Tungsten filaments, there was very little room for improvement .”

probably a prototype at that time
That was not an ER801A. Srajaen probably did not get all the details right about what we were doing. At that meeting we tried another 300B as driver. That was a combination which I too disliked and that's why I never offered a 300B/300B amp but only with 10Y or 801A driver.

See that's why I like to get facts correct ...

Thomas

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That was not a 211 drive 211. That was a much much simpler 211 amplifier with indirectly heated driver tube (6HS5). I agree the 6HS5/211 is sonically not comparable to the differential 46 amps. In fact I currently do not offer the 6HS5/211 anymore. 211/211 play on a very different level although I personally would prefer the 46 if their power is sufficient

There was a meeting with the 3 of us but at that time the Elrog ER801A did not exist yet. Dan received some of the first prototypes of the 801A later on. I personally prefer the ER801A. Some customers like the old production tubes more but I estimate 3/4 of the 10Y preamp users run ER801A, ER801A-Mo or TM801A

Best regards

Thomas

ok, I just found the details of the 211 - it was the mid level 10y drives 211

Post in thread 'Kind regards and salutations to all'
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/kind-regards-and-salutations-to-all.25258/post-541098

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The only custom room that I've heard and liked, was Winston Ma's.

Most of the good sounding rooms that I have been in are just normal (symmetrical) rooms with acoustical treatment.

Reactions: cjfrbw and bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Six (6) favorite private rooms + systems of all time as of March 18, 2024, in no particular order:

Jack Duavit, dedicated, custom-built room, Von Schweikert VR-11, Lamm preamp and amplifiers, TechDAS Air Force One

Mike Lavigne, dedicated, custom-built room, Evolution Acoustics MM7, darTZeel preamp, VAC amplifiers

Ali Lehman, dedicated room (not custom-built), Avantgarde Trio G3, bass-horns, REL, Berning 211 SET/VAC, EMIA TVC(?), Continuum turntable

Marty, dedicated, custom-built room, Wilson Audio Alexx V, Zanden phono, Soulution preamp, Gryphon Mephistos, Dohmann Helix

Jeroen (audioquattr), dedicated room (not custom built), Cessaro Zeta, custom subwoofers, The Grail phono, Lampizator phono, Alieno preamp, Trafomatic Elysium, VYGER

Todd (sbnx), dedicated, custom-built room, Avantgarde Trio G3 with iTron, bass-horns, Wilson Benesch Torus, CH preamp, CH DAC, Wadax streamer (added March 18, 2024)

Reactions: Audiohertz2

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Six (6) favorite private rooms + systems of all time as of March 18, 2024, in no particular order:

Jack Duavit, dedicated, custom-built room, Von Schweikert VR-11, Lamm preamp and amplifiers, TechDAS Air Force One

Mike Lavigne, dedicated, custom-built room, Evolution Acoustics MM7, darTZeel preamp, VAC amplifiers

Ali Lehman, dedicated room (not custom-built), Avantgarde Trio G3, bass-horns, REL, Berning 211 SET/VAC, EMIA TVC(?), Continuum turntable

Marty, dedicated, custom-built room, Wilson Audio Alexx V, Zanden phono, Soulution preamp, Gryphon Mephistos, Dohmann Helix

Jeroen (audioquattr), dedicated room (not custom built), Cessaro Zeta, custom subwoofers, The Grail phono, Lampizator phono, Alieno preamp, Trafomatic Elysium, VYGER

Todd (sbnx), dedicated, custom-built room, Avantgarde Trio G3 with iTron, bass-horns, Wilson Benesch Torus, CH preamp, CH DAC, Wadax streamer (added March 18, 2024)

Unbelievable that a digital room would make it to your audition list, far less top 5/6

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Interesting also that there is not a single planar system on this list despite your professed undying love for planars. 3 horn systems as well...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm sweating buckets as I hope V 2.0 will be at least just as enjoyable to you and Tinka Ron. I think the only components remaining from your last visit are the racks, the AF1 and the Graham Elite. Wow how time flies. :)

See you soon!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Kedar, Brad,

This is a bit hard to explain, but I am not making this list up based 100% purely on my personal preferences. Rather this is a combination of my personal preferences and what I think most audiophiles of differing preferences and interests would consider among the best rooms + systems.

It doesn't make sense to me to downgrade rooms plus systems with non-planar dipole loudspeakers as a matter of policy just because I have a subjective personal preference for planar dipole loudspeakers.

Similarly, just because I personally preferred Mike's system with VAC, I am not going to remove his system from the list because he is almost all solid-state.

Similarly, just because I personally would like to hear Todd's system filled with tubes, I am not going to downgrade it because I suspect very strongly that I would like the system even more with tubes.

Similarly, just because I personally would like to hear Todd's system with vinyl or tape, I am not going to downgrade it because I suspect very strongly that I would like the system even more with an analog source.

I understand this combination concept is going to be confusing to some.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar, Brad,

This is a bit hard to explain, but I am not making this list up based 100% purely on my personal preferences. Rather this is a combination of my personal preferences and what I think most audiophiles of differing preferences and interests would consider among the best rooms + systems.

It doesn't make sense to me to downgrade rooms plus systems with non-planar dipole loudspeakers as a matter of policy just because I have a subjective personal preference for planar dipole loudspeakers.

Similarly, just because I personally preferred Mike's system with VAC, I am not going to remove his system from the list because he is almost all solid-state.

Similarly, just because I personally would like to hear Todd's system filled with tubes, I am not going to downgrade it because I suspect very strongly that I would like the system even more with tubes.

Sorry I don't see why you said Kedar, Brad when you answered only Brad. I totally understand planars can be personal preferences and not necessarily the best rooms for you.

I don't understand how you can audition on digital given that you spent a lifetime auditioning only on analog. I have stopped auditioning on digital because it can (can, not to be interpreted as always) lead to different conclusions, and for me incorrect conclusions from my viewpoint. Also best digital rooms cannot match up to good analog rooms. AMMV (Al's mileage might very). In fact, AMV.

And thanks for clarifying your personal preferences are "a combination of my personal preferences and what I think most audiophiles of differing preferences and interests would consider among the best rooms + systems."

By that logic, my favorite rooms includes Marty's Wilson's (I haven't heard it with the Alexx), and Magico M9s in Dallas, as audiophiles of differing preferences and interests would consider it to be excellent. And Barry's Duos and Marc's Zus, both rated by Marc.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sorry I don't see why you said Kedar, Brad when you answered only Brad.

Yes, you are right. I just corrected this, by making the same point with regard to digital versus analog.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar, Brad,

No not confusing. It just means some of those systems are not your cup of tea, but credit to the high spenders who have put in effort based on a particular approach. The approach might not be your taste or natural sounding, but given it is all subjective it could be a top room for some tastes.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No not confusing. It just means some of those systems are not your cup of tea, but credit to the high spenders who have put in effort based on a particular approach. The approach might not be your taste or natural sounding, but given it is all subjective it could be a top room for some tastes.

Yes, this is substantially what I have in mind. Putting it slightly differently, I think these would be considered top rooms for most tastes -- or top rooms regardless of particular tastes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing