Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Emile, do you think the Router could benefit other devices, like an Apple TV? I have the heavily modded Apple TV X (which is Highly recommended!) - in theory reduced network noise should improve the AV quality.
Or would connecting more than just the Taiko Switch be ill-advised?

Sure, you can even give it it’s own isolated network segment.

Reactions: Zeotrope
Depends on your mains harmonics and/or DC content. 400Hz inverters cause transformer hum for sure.
I don’t use an inverter. It’s plugged into a Shunyata Denali v2 and before that a PS Audio P20. So you don’t hear anything when putting your ear within ~12” of the chassis?

I don’t use an inverter. It’s plugged into a Shunyata Denali v2 and before that a PS Audio P20. So you don’t hear anything when putting your ear within ~12” of the chassis?

No, but some do.

Edit: it just hit me that it actually does if I either enable multiwave or change the phase adjust on my P20.

Last edited:
The jury is still out on that but most likely DAC.

Yes same finish as the switch, it looks identical apart from the connector section, attached a few photos of the prototype.

View attachment 105878
View attachment 105879
View attachment 105880
Emile, I‘m still undecided between the copper or silver finish. On the pictures I noticed that the round Parts /
bends of the copper version aren‘t shiny polished looking but more brushed like. Is this an inherent part of bending copper or will it look polished and shiny all way around (which I much prefer) like the chrome finish?

Emile, I‘m still undecided between the copper or silver finish. On the pictures I noticed that the round Parts /
bends of the copper version aren‘t shiny polished looking but more brushed like. Is this an inherent part of bending copper or will it look polished and shiny all way around (which I much prefer) like the chrome finish?

This is an unfinished prototype. The final copper finish is polished.

Last edited:
Reactions: MusicFellow
There is a low volume buz/hum from my Extreme when I place my ear close to the chassis. I assume that‘s the power transformer and it’s normal? I can’t hear it from the listening position…
This is news to me. Mine is dead quiet

No, but some do.

Edit: it just hit me that it actually does if I either enable multiwave or change the phase adjust on my P20.
Thanks! But I’m using the Denali v2 now, have been for a while… it’s better than the P20 (in my opinion; P20 generates some additional noise as it “regenerates” the AC)…

I really need to have my ear quite close to the outside of the chassis, so if it doesn’t impact SQ, I won’t worry about it because I can’t hear it (even though the Extreme is directly behind me). I recorded it, I’ll email the clip to support@. Thanks.

I can just concur with the what others have already stated - the vast majority of SQ improvement (for streaming use case) is there also when using the old network card, it is the switch and the DAC-connection that is the key, the network card to a much lesser extent.

So - using the old network card is a very easy fix while we wait for replacement bracket.

(I suspect that some of the magic is lost when playing local files though - the offloading of processes from Extreme -> Switch depend on the new network card - I have not yet verified).

Added bonus - I can look forward to yet another upgrade when the new bracket arrives and I can deploy the new network card!

Until then - I'll be lost in streaming... :)

I can just concur with the what others have already stated - the vast majority of SQ improvement (for streaming use case) is there also when using the old network card, it is the switch and the DAC-connection that is the key, the network card to a much lesser extent.

So - using the old network card is a very easy fix while we wait for replacement bracket.

(I suspect that some of the magic is lost when playing local files though - the offloading of processes from Extreme -> Switch depend on the new network card - I have not yet verified).

Added bonus - I can look forward to yet another upgrade when the new bracket arrives and I can deploy the new network card!

Until then - I'll be lost in streaming... :)
I agree. I just switched back to the old network card with the new Switch. I don’t stream and local file playback was immediately “special” sounding with the new network card. I didn’t do any critical listening, it was just immediately obvious that there was a big improvement. For example, low end was as if I had added another sub!
With the old network card it’s certainly great but not what I immediately felt and heard with the new card.
I guess this way we can hear the improvements from each component separately.

I agree. I just switched back to the old network card with the new Switch. I don’t stream and local file playback was immediately “special” sounding with the new network card. I didn’t do any critical listening, it was just immediately obvious that there was a big improvement. For example, low end was as if I had added another sub!
With the old network card it’s certainly great but not what I immediately felt and heard with the new card.
I guess this way we can hear the improvements from each component separately.
Agree 100%

The new network card had a surprisingly big impact on local file playback.

I listened late last night to some of my DSD256 local files, I have never been so engaged before - bass rendering and micro-details stood out - clear signs of lowered system noise floor.

I heard a guy in the audience uttering a low "Yeahhh" I have never heard before and then some barely audible clinks from glasses amongst the audience... Spooky nice!

That magic is due to the new network card and its interaction with Switch - offloading 'stuff' from Extreme to Switch for sure.

I heard a guy in the audience uttering a low "Yeahhh" I have never heard before and then some barely audible clinks from glasses amongst the audience... Spooky nice!
I agree. That was the first thing I noticed. The noise floor is virtually non existent. Like you I heard things in songs that I’ve listened to for years and never heard what I hear now.

@Steve Williams

my switch also spent a lot of time in NJ before being delivered.
i'm going to guess that the weight and x-ray image was enough to catch someone's attention when going through customs!

@Steve Williams

my switch also spent a lot of time in NJ before being delivered.
i'm going to guess that the weight and x-ray image was enough to catch someone's attention when going through customs!
Mine spent 4 days in NJ doing nothing. I thought it was lost as there were no updates for 4 days until I got a message stating it is out for delivery. Im betting even Superman with his Xray vision couldn't see through that box. It was a lethal weapon if ever dropped on someone

Reactions: DW101
I was one of the lucky ones that ran into the issue of not being able to install the new network card due to what we now know was a misaligned bracket.

After trying without success, I called my computer tech to come over hoping he’d be able to fix it. Unfortunately, he left after a few hours without success.

I was, to say the least, disappointed; but I knew that sooner or later that the Taiko team would be able to resolve the problem.

So after my tech left that evening, I put the extreme together and connected my original switch (Nordost switch w a nordost LPS) to the old motherboard card so I could at least listen to music in the interim, which was sounding pretty good even before attempting to install the new switch/card.

But just for shits and grins, I decided to also connect the new switch to the new card anyway.

And then I turned on the Extreme and started playing files from the hard drive and DAMN!!! I heard what others have been describing here - the MOST ENGAGING SOUND IVE EVER HEARD BEFORE IN MY ROOM!! It’s an infectious engagement!

And this was not just a small improvement — this was a significant nonlinear increase in engagement!

BUT this sound was with the new switch/card connected but not recognized by the Extreme!?

I can’t begin to understand why, but I don’t care. I’m just enjoying the hell out of it and I can’t imagine how installing the new switch/card with the updated bracket can possibly improve the sound I’m listening to now…but I’ve been wrong before ..many times!

Can’t wait!

Last edited:
Installed the switch and card 5 hours ago. Wow! The bass rendering is just so much more revealing than I've experienced before, which just establishes a pulse and the rhythmic scene like nothing else I've ever heard! And I certainly hear deeper into the mix. "Engaging" is absolutely the result! This absolutely is "major component upgrade" level, IME. And I guess I really get to hear the best after ~5 days running time. Bravo, Taiko team!

I was one of the lucky ones that ran into the issue of not being able to install the new network card due to what we now know was a misaligned bracket.

After trying without success, I called my computer tech to come over hoping he’d be able to fix it. Unfortunately, he left after a few hours without success.

I was, to say the least, disappointed; but I knew that sooner or later that the Taiko team would be able to resolve the problem.

So after my tech left that evening, I put the extreme together and connected my original switch (Nordost switch w a nordost LPS) to the old motherboard card so I could at least listen to music in the interim, which was sounding pretty good even before attempting to install the new switch/card.

But just for shits and grins, I decided to also connect the new switch to the new card anyway.

And then I turned on the Extreme and started playing files from the hard drive and DAMN!!! I heard what others have been describing here - the MOST ENGAGING SOUND IVE EVER HEARD BEFORE IN MY ROOM!! It’s an infectious engagement!

And this was not just a small improvement — this was a significant nonlinear increase in engagement!

BUT this sound was with the new switch/card connected but not recognized by the Extreme!?

I can’t begin to understand why, but I don’t care. I’m just enjoying the hell out of it and I can’t imagine how installing the new switch/card with the updated bracket can possibly improve the sound I’m listening to now…but I’ve been wrong before ..many times!

Can’t wait!
WOW, this makes me wanna buy the Taikoserver even more. After reading reviews like this.

Sorry if I got this the wrong way, but if I order a Taiko today, will I get the new card per default?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing