Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Could you tell me the source of this quote. Thanks.
I am glad this quote got some attention (it should!). When comparing switches one should also be aware of beneficial audible effects we maybe did not think about where they really do come from. Whether that be from synergy or better network cables and better DC power sources, or ''delegating'' resources like the combination of the Extreme Switch with the Extreme Network card does.

Quote sources are included , just click on the asterisk (*) following the quote. For PhoenixNET * scroll down halfway until

''Improvement in Local Playback''​

Same for the SR switch *, that I obviously think was put together with some thought. But I did not hear it.
Enjoy the reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: Antonio66
would it be fair to say that the Taiko switch in a Taiko system trumps all other switches tried and compared in the same system.?? So much has been posted here these past few weeks about comparisons. I've read them all with great interest but it seems self evident that nothing has come close sonically to the Taiko switch. It puzzles me why everyone feels they can out perform Taiko at its own game. To me the Taiko game plan seems to be the one that will carry us all past the SQ barrier. Looking forward to the addition of the router and DCD and ultimately the BPS which for me becomes end game on the digital side of my system. This ride has been going on for almost 4 years now and there seems to be a glimpse of the finish line. ....... :cool:

would it be fair to say that the Taiko switch in a Taiko system trumps all other switches tried and compared in the same system.?? So much has been posted here these past few weeks about comparisons. I've read them all with great interest but it seems self evident that nothing has come close sonically to the Taiko switch. It puzzles me why everyone feels they can out perform Taiko at its own game. To me the Taiko game plan seems to be the one that will carry us all past the SQ barrier. Looking forward to the addition of the router and DCD and ultimately the BPS which for me becomes end game on the digital side of my system. This ride has been going on for almost 4 years now and there seems to be a glimpse of the finish line. ....... :cool:
Couldn't agree more, why would you buck the Taiko Concept? I had the M12 and it is a very good switch. It sounded lifeless compared to the Taiko Switch, which was shocking. Some years ago Emile liked it. Why would you mix and match? You either believe in the direction of Emile/Taiko or not. But to think your going to insert a similar component other than Taiko and get the same or better results seems fruitless...

Couldn't agree more, why would you buck the Taiko Concept? I had the M12 and it is a very good switch. It sounded lifeless compared to the Taiko Switch, which was shocking. Some years ago Emile liked it. Why would you mix and match? You either believe in the direction of Emile/Taiko or not. But to think your going to insert a similar component other than Taiko and get the same or better results seems fruitless...
Precisely my point. I understand the human instinct to try to make things even better, but honestly we have all been a part of this thread for years and have been walked step by step through the planned Taiko upgrades. All seemed to make such sense that the group of Taiko followers has grown to be a veritable army But at the end of the day, what Taiko has done to improve the digital side of our systems is so remarkable that every day in this quest has become a journey for us all. To me I see no reason to think we can outsmart or outperform Taiko at their own game. I say to all . "be patient, little grasshoppers". I am starting to seee the finish line

would it be fair to say that the Taiko switch in a Taiko system trumps all other switches tried and compared in the same system.?? So much has been posted here these past few weeks about comparisons. I've read them all with great interest but it seems self evident that nothing has come close sonically to the Taiko switch. It puzzles me why everyone feels they can out perform Taiko at its own game.
Good point Steve and that is why I was also wondering above if this thread really is the place to do (switch) comparisons. Or looking outside the Taiko world for that matter. Because I can imagine Extreme users do not always end up adding the full Extreme kit. Could be for financial reasons but could also be for audible reasons. My guess is a majority of Extreme server users will never end up with everything Taiko?

For that majority (I do not have the statistics) comparisons of switches, routers, cables, power supplies and more like isolation and vibration control could be very useful. Personally I love to read about fair comparisons based on experience, probably because for me there never will be a finish line. And I really do not like to read about shipping delays or FedEx follow ups and other logistics problems. I am joking of course but this thread could be a place for Taiko and more.

Comparisons have always been part of this hobby or ''way of life'', until we stop doing that, and I am aware Taiko caters to that need. Maybe it's time to launch a parallel thread?

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn and dbeau
I understand your feelings completely. By all means you should start a parallel thread to get your answers. FWIW this thread is the most viewed and most posted to thread on WBF. There is IMO more information shared in this thread than virtually any other on WBF. I was 95% analogue when I started paying attention to this thread, I saw countless DIYers chiming in always with the intent that they could either duplicate what Taiko has done or even do it better. I also saw these DIYers give up and become Taiko converts.Emile is so different than any one I have met in this hobby. His mind never stops creating and he is always here contributing and answering questions. There is no better customer service than that offered by Taiko. For me these past 4 years have convinced me there is a healthy future for digital as I have loved watching the Taiko development as well as being an alpha tester for TAS and then XDMS has shown me how smart this team is. I look forward every week to the next. build of XDMS . To those waiting to use XDMS I can promise you are in for a treat. So for me I love this thread and all of the ideas but as the end of the day all my bets are on Emle and his team.

Happy Sunday everyone and a fun Memorial Day Weekend

Emile and his Takio team are far far away from their finish line.....
Last Emile said, he has 17 more projects in the pipe line. Personally after the BPSI feel the next big surprise will be his new interface to replace all others

Reactions: DW101
Last Emile said, he has 17 more projects in the pipe line. Personally after the BPSI feel the next big surprise will be his new interface to replace all others
I suspect the new interface will be the most challenging. The Horizon is here to stay along with a large collection of well regarded tubes. The tubes were a big investment in themselves. To think a year ago I couldn't tell you the difference in a rectifier or a rectal thermometer makes me shake my head. Fun times with this crazy obsession...

I suspect the new interface will be the most challenging. The Horizon is here to stay along with a large collection of well regarded tubes. The tubes were a big investment in themselves. To think a year ago I couldn't tell you the difference in a rectifier or a rectal thermometer makes me shake my head. Fun times with this crazy obsession...
Like you John, we have both had a ton of fun with our Taiko and Horizon gear but the Taiko platform involves so many other users of excellent DAC's etc. I have so enjoyed watching the growth of this company around all of us. I do hope that in the very near future XDMS will go beta and be opened to all Taiko users. Roon becomes even better but the game for me ends with XDMS. The SQ to my ears is unequalled

Reactions: Taiko Audio
Like you John, we have both had a ton of fun with our Taiko and Horizon gear but the Taiko platform involves so many other users of excellent DAC's etc. I have so enjoyed watching the growth of this company around all of us. I do hope that in the very near future XDMS will go beta and be opened to all Taiko users. Roon becomes even better but the game for me ends with XDMS. The SQ to my ears is unequalled
I got on the ALPHA XDMS train later, with regrets. By that time streaming with Tidal/Qobuz was not possible until the licensing is sorted out. I'm looking forward to when that comes to fruition....

I got on the ALPHA XDMS train later, with regrets. By that time streaming with Tidal/Qobuz was not possible until the licensing is sorted out. I'm looking forward to when that comes to fruition....
it's truly a system changer IMHO

Reactions: EuroDriver
FWIW this thread is the most viewed and most posted to thread on WBF. There is IMO more information shared in this thread than virtually any other on WBF.
Agreed, you have all kinds of visitors reading here and following how things are evolving on the edge, State of the Art . The exact reason I come back here often. Servers, switches and routers are discussed in many threads. What I seem to understand from your writing is if someone mentions or wonders how something compares to Taiko -server, -switch or -router, some would interpret that as ''wanting to be better than'' Taiko?
Emile wouldn't have been where he is now without being open minded and comparing how other brands find solutions to very common problems. If Emile decides to pull the plug tomorrow where will you go? For you Taiko is #1 but there can not be a leader without a second best (and third and so on).

I think fair comparisons are healthy and necessary whether that be in this thread or elsewhere.

Happy reading everyone!

Last edited:
If Emile decides to pull the plug tomorrow where will you go?
well that's an hypothetical as the only place taiko is going is up ....just the way I see it. At some point I am sure Emile will step by step reveal what all these other projects are that are in the pipeline

Agreed, you have all kinds of visitors reading here and following how things are evolving on the edge, State of the Art . The exact reason I come back here often. Servers, switches and routers are discussed in many threads. What I seem to understand from your writing is if someone mentions or wonders how something compares to Taiko -server, -switch or -router, some would interpret that as wanting to be better than Taiko?
Emile wouldn't have been where he is now without being open minded and comparing how other brands find solutions to very common problems. If Emile decides to pull the plug tomorrow where will you go? For you Taiko is #1 but there can not be a leader without a second best (and third and so on).

I think fair comparisons are healthy and necessary whether that be in this thread or elsewhere.

Happy reading everyone!
As you said: "Emile wouldn't have been where he is now without being open minded and comparing how other brands find solutions to very common problems" I can assure you Emile has listened to a number of switches and modified as he saw fit. As I referenced earlier, Emile, some years ago liked the M12 Switch. I liked the M12 switch and wasn't convinced (and I shared this with other members) that the new switch would outperform the M12. It clearly does. Being on board is an evolvement. No one is forcing anyone. You take the direction you see fit (and that goes with the rest of life). This is more than comparing brands this is faith in an exciting direction. This comes from much experience, The path typically taken is not all that exciting. Its the alternate paths that often share the most fun and excitement....

To think a year ago I couldn't tell you the difference in a rectifier or a rectal thermometer makes me shake my head. Fun times with this crazy obsession...
It's not your head you'd be shaking if you mixed them up, John.

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing