Visit to Audiophile Bill to hear his horns project

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
What horn type is that? The previous was a JMLC, right? My new one is a round Tractix with 550Hz cutoff.
It looks like a wooden version of a K-402. Nice btw!
I think the previous was a JMLC-270?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
after having tested and measured JBL 2384 and Klipsch K-402 my very competent friend designed this CD horn
2/3rd conical last tractrix.....made with "correct" precision adapter and very solid and dead
TAD 4003 from 600-20K....constant response in 85x45 degrees...no sweetspot , no beaming, no hf crossover
smoother and with better imaging than my previous JMLC 270 full rollback

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
after having tested and measured JBL 2384 and Klipsch K-402 my very competent friend designed this CD horn
2/3rd conical last tractrix.....made with "correct" precision adapter and very solid and dead
TAD 4003 from 600-20K....constant response in 85x45 degrees...no sweetspot , no beaming, no hf crossover
Since it is constant directivity do you equalize the highs?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I run my much small horn from 1Khz…before I had the 18 Sound XT1464, which is constant directivity and works from 800Hz but I found 1khz the best blend with the Supravox driver. Is there a reason you don’t go lower than 600Hz?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I run my much small horn from 1Khz…before I had the 18 Sound XT1464, which is constant directivity and works from 800Hz but I found 1khz the best blend with the Supravox driver. Is there a reason you don’t go lower than 600Hz?
because we find the drivers natural raw response rolloff in the horn and "push it over the edge" as opposed to forcing a different x/o point/curve

Reactions: morricab
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I get nice measured response in room to 20khz with my Beyma CP755Ti. Ever tried this driver?
no but you can reach 20K with many drivers, but not with output to match the supersensitive midbasshorns and I don´t want to reduce their output to match a shelved HF driver to get flat response
I prefer to keep as high sensitivity as possible...simply sounds more easyflowing and dynamic

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
In response to a question posed earlier, yes I do use AER BD3s in my Oris 150 horns. Perhaps I am just a tin ear, but I don't hear plastic coloration with my ABS plastic Oris horns. The only other ABS plastic objects with which I am familiar are the ABS blades of my white water canoe paddles. After forty years of bashing them into rocks to push my boat back on course when running fast technical rivers they are still quite intact.

Reactions: bonzo75
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
just asked because a close friend had that combo for a few years and I listened to it with great pleasure on a pair of 45s reactance drives

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
a really good combination is a b&c de 250 with dayton h812 horn cost 180€. Buy it its sounds phantastic 1khz 18db xover
Horn

B&C de250
FR-DE250.jpg

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
those 2 db from 2-7K won´t sound nice without remedies
polyamid diaphragm won´t help either...gladpack sound like most BMS IMNSHO
and 20K is 10db down......useless

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Update on my horns:
The crossovers are now wall mounted, which added more stability to vocals and instruments, extended decay, and a more cohesive soundstage (vs standing them on the floor and leaning against a wall).

I didn’t go in Bill’s direction. My views on single driver vs multi-driver sound be clear. There is also a 6’ tall active transmission line sub (not pictured). If you want to play the breadth of music available, one driver won’t cut it, for the simple reason that no single (or dual) driver exists that can play accurately across the spectrum.
A simple crossover with high quality components will not deteriorate the sound. While these speakers were being built, I had an open baffle JL Labs design with single RCA “high frequency” woofers. They were nice, but could never compete with these.

I also agree with Weiss at OMA :eek:that only conical horns add no distortion to the sound and have the widest sweet spot.

Time alignment is also critical - most of these large horn projects are not time aligned.You can certainly have a great and fun sound from non time-aligned drivers; but with multiple horns the affects are usually greater than with conventional drivers (eg, Magico).
Could you comment on X-over design?
1st, 2nd order? X-over points?
Thank you

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
those 2 db from 2-7K won´t sound nice without remedies
many people like this is perfect for long-term listening, presence and brilliance area 4-7khz) 2db down. voices are good, not exaggerated s-f tones.I think it's very good, it's a matter of taste.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
a really good combination is a b&c de 250 with dayton h812 horn cost 180€. Buy it its sounds phantastic 1khz 18db xover
Horn

B&C de250
View attachment 99155
I found Beyma with Ti diaphragm to sound WAY better

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
no but you can reach 20K with many drivers, but not with output to match the supersensitive midbasshorns and I don´t want to reduce their output to match a shelved HF driver to get flat response
I prefer to keep as high sensitivity as possible...simply sounds more easyflowing and dynamic
You don’t really want totally flat response…it will sound to bright in room

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I found Beyma with Ti diaphragm to sound WAY better
Good that we all hear differently otherwise it would be boring.
since I first heard it 8 years ago. i sold all my metal diaphragm drivers jbl ,tad...etc. and invested my money in good xover parts. have fun with your drivers.

P.S
look this video then you see what modification you have do for better sound. peaks and dips in frequence response are mostly gone my none expensive tip

Last edited:
Reactions: iain

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Good that we all hear differently otherwise it would be boring.
since I first heard it 8 years ago. i sold all my metal diaphragm drivers jbl ,tad...etc. and invested my money in good xover parts. have fun with your drivers.

P.S
look this video then you see what modification you have do for better sound. peaks and dips in frequence response are mostly gone my none expensive tip
None of the plastic diaphragm compression drivers I have heard ultimately sound realistic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing