Wadax Reference Dac and Server arrive

the sound of a file stored in studio is different to the sound of file ripped from CD.
both putting studio master files on CD and ripping CD will degrade the sound. do not ask me why.
the best way to listen to CD is buying CD Transport not ripping it.

master tape -> Analog to Digital Converter -> File A
File A -> CD
Ripp CD -> File B

you may think the File A is equal to File B but in real world the sound of File A is better than File B.
You say it with certainty as if it's fact. Based on exactly what objective criteria?

Reactions: Armsan
when it comes to 'absolutes' about how the hierarchy of digital playback works, it's important to know exactly where things are sourced.

if the analog tape is transferred digitally to higher rez, then down-sampled to make a CD, a 16/44 file made from the higher rez file could be better than the CD. these days almost 100% of CD's and streaming files start as higher rez.

very hard to know exact provenance of a CD or even the redbook streaming file.

and as far as ripped 16/44 verses the source CD, that can vary too quite a bit. varies with hardware, ripping software, and server quality....and probably more things i've left out.

honestly the significance of CD verses ripped files lessens every day as we move away from CD's and into files as mainstream. it's now CD's verses higher rez. and higher rez......is........'higher'. especially when it's a step or two closer to the source.
Mike
Imagine your Analog to digital converter connected to Studer A820 reel to reel machine and converts master tape to 44.1khz/16bit PCM file on PC and you burn this file on CD and then rip this CD on computer. two files are PCM 44.1khz/16 bit but the sound is different. you can do this test in your system and listen to two files.

in my idea digital is perfect for storing data in 24bit/96khz (after A to D from pure analog master) not for digital processing, not for converting, not for upsampling, not for transfer on CD, not for any changes in digital domain.

it is not good news that over 90% of recording studios in the world produce DDD not AAD.

You say it with certainty as if it's fact. Based on exactly what objective criteria?
I told before please do not ask me why

Mike
Imagine your Analog to digital converter connected to Studer A820 reel to reel machine and converts master tape to 44.1khz/16bit PCM file on PC and you burn this file on CD and then rip this CD on computer. two files are PCM 44.1khz/16 bit but the sound is different. you can do this test in your system and listen to two files.
first off; i have no ability to do a digital transfer from my analog, since i would never want one. i'll play the analog. :cool: every time.

but in theory if i did do this transfer, then burn a CD from it, and then rip that CD......and then compare the CD to the rip......we cannot predict how that will result. there will be many variables. you may or may not hear a difference. as i said above; it will at least depend on the particular ripping software, the server, and the dac, even the quality of the interface between the server and the dac.

so we agree on this.

and if when i did the transfer, i used......say......192/24 for the resolution, then did the CD from that high rez downsampled to 16/44; and then compared that CD to the 192/24 file, we know how that would go. and that is really how good streaming can work. bad streaming might not rise to that level. not all streaming is created equal.
in my idea digital is perfect for storing data in 24bit/96khz (after A to D from pure analog master) not for digital processing, not for converting, not for upsampling, not for transfer on CD, not for any changes in digital domain.
perfect digital as of Nov 2022 is 352/24 (or quad dsd) from an analog master, or directly from the mic amp. i have a few of those.

but listening to the digital master in it's native resolution is more significant than the actual resolution. native rules. native/pure 16/44 can be awesome.
it is not good news that over 90% of recording studios in the world produce DDD not AAD.
i'm more interested in the whole recording and performance quality than it's particular native format. but all things being equal, yes i agree that analog has the higher ceiling. all things are rarely equal.

Last edited:
the sound of a file stored in studio is different to the sound of file ripped from CD.
both putting studio master files on CD and ripping CD will degrade the sound. do not ask me why.
the best way to listen to CD is buying CD Transport not ripping it.

master tape -> Analog to Digital Converter -> File A
File A -> CD
Ripp CD -> File B

you may think the File A is equal to File B but in real world the sound of File A is better than File B.
I totally agree with you. I compared the master file from the studio and the ripping file. They are 16/44 files. They were different clearly although I used the good ripping equip. There are many variables which affect SQ of the ripping file.

Reactions: Amir
Mike
Your system is high performance and I am sure you will hear the difference of two files if you use 44.1khz/16bit . Your Wadax now is the ultimate player in this world.

Maybe I should tell more about my experience .
I have used three software:
Exact audio Copy
dbpoweramp
itunes
I have used three different cd drives (apple super drive, asus, teac) to rip and I have carefully checked all settings like c2 error correction in software and I have ripped over 2000 CD .
Audio is more complex than simple theories like "bits are bits".

We do not need more than 22bits because of analog circuits limits. Analog Circuits SNR can not beat 24 bits and Our hearing never goes over 48khz, so the 24bit/96khz is enough for Analog to Digital Conversion. high rez files like dsd512 have to meaning to me.

100% agree you about " listening to the digital master in it's native resolution is more significant than the actual resolution. native rules. native/pure 16/44 can be awesome."

I told before please do not ask me why
Too late, I already asked and it's a valid question that hasn't been answered based on your supposition.

Reactions: Alpinist
Reactions: Amir
excuse me for off topic

sbo6

if you think "bits are bits" please use a cheap PC CD-Rom ($50) as transport and play music on the cheap PC hard drive.
You can measure/log the output bits from the usb output of the PC and compare it to the $150K wadax server usb output.
Both $500 cheap PC and a $150k wadax will give you equal bits with no error , both are bit-perfect and you can not find any difference between the two.

The question is why the sound of the Wadax server is so much better than a cheap PC?

I do not know why "file to CD" conversion and "CD ripping" will degrade the sound but I know there are many questions there (in audio) that you can not find a simple answer for them.

Mr. Lavry's 10 year old article fails to mention (how could it?) that since 2012 chips have become lower in noise. this results in greater significance both to native files and higher resolution. dacs use to have to do huge oversampling to push the noise out into the in-audible range, which had negative side effects.

noise, noise, noise, noise, noise.

i have a number of recordings done at various native sample rates. easy to hear the noise lower and the soundstage expand as you hear farther into the soundstage.

and then there is the look back error correction with Wadax as well as lowering the noise of the data transfer to the dac from the server.

things change.

on the other hand.....native 16/44 files can sound awesome. the recording process is still most significant.

Last edited:
I have also found the same to be true through many apples to apples comparisons.

Ken

What was the set up being used in these comparisons? In my experience we never have exactly apples to apples in these comparisons. It is why it is important to describe exhaustively the details.

Reactions: sbo6 and Pokey77
excuse me for off topic

sbo6

if you think "bits are bits" please use a cheap PC CD-Rom ($50) as transport and play music on the cheap PC hard drive.
You can measure/log the output bits from the usb output of the PC and compare it to the $150K wadax server usb output.
Both $500 cheap PC and a $150k wadax will give you equal bits with no error , both are bit-perfect and you can not find any difference between the two.

The question is why the sound of the Wadax server is so much better than a cheap PC?

I do not know why "file to CD" conversion and "CD ripping" will degrade the sound but I know there are many questions there (in audio) that you can not find a simple answer for them.

These aspects were deeply discussed in the Taiko Audio thread. In fact, Emile did it so exhaustively, answering my utmost tricky questions with such a mastery and integrity that in consequence I ordered the Extreme.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
excuse me for off topic

sbo6

Where did I say bits are bits? Please don't put words in others' mouths.

Mr. Lavry's 10 year old article fails to mention (how could it?) that since 2012 chips have become lower in noise. this results in greater significance both to native files and higher resolution. dacs use to have to do huge oversampling to push the noise out into the in-audible range, which had negative side effects.

i have a number of recordings done at various native sample rates. easy to hear the noise lower and the soundstage expand as you hear farther into the soundstage.

and then there is the look back error correction with Wadax as well as lowering the noise of the data transfer to the dac from the server.

things change.

on the other hand.....native 16/44 files can sound awesome. the recording process is still most significant.
Agree. I'd even say the recording process is 98% of the whole enchilada to achieve best sonics. File format and resolution matter little.

Reactions: lordcloud and Amir
Please stop this discussion. Neither side will convince the other.

Reactions: Stereophonic

things change.

Mike
I think it is better to I send an email to Dan Lavry and ask him to explain more about his idea.

I do not think his theory is expired now. Dan lavry is a smart digital designer and he was one of the first designers who designed proper r-2r dac (model DA2002).
Dan lavry used a good solution to solve r-2r temperature problem .
The reel to reel speed has no relation to dan lavry article but some wrote about 30ips speed does not have better bass than 15ips.

Last edited:
excuse me for off topic

sbo6

i do think "bits are bits." Maybe I am confused. Since the music I listen to is "pre-converted" to digital and I use a dac means we are all working with the same thing. it's the conversion that varies. Maybe it Iis just semantics.
I assume the variation comes in the conversion process. Correct me if I am misled.

Reactions: lordcloud and sbo6
What was the set up being used in these comparisons? In my experience we never have exactly apples to apples in these comparisons. It is why it is important to describe exhaustively the details.
Same system and same music files in the same format that have different sampling and/or bit rates. Very easy to compare. Listen to one file and then to the other. You’re over complicating it.

Same system and same music files in the same format that have different sampling and/or bit rates. Very easy to compare. Listen to one file and then to the other. You’re over complicating it.

No, I just asked for what was the system and if possible, the recordings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing