2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS

jdza

May 3, 2010
Let me get this straight, the exact same engine performs better in your G class than the one in your shooting brake although a G class weighs 600 kg more?
That is not at all what I said .

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
We own a CLS350 Shooting Brake and have done since new in 2012. At the same time I also bought a ML500. If there is one thing I regret is that I did not buy a CLS 500 and ML 350. The CLS of that era is a fantastic car with a bespoke quality that is exceptional for long distance cruising The air suspension is perfect and to me far superior to that fitted to the ML. Ours is beautifully fitted with matt wood interior finish and the AMG fittings. i am not wild about the V 6 petrol engine. Although it has plenty of oomph there is a lack of top end power. THE 4.4 twin turbo V8 that was in the ML is truly one of the world's great engines. I still pine for my Jaguar V12 and its turbine like qualities. The MB V8 was very close. As it is the CLS comes closest in feel,,ride and stance to the series 3 XJ6 Jaguars that I so loved.. A CLS 500 to me would have been a XJ12 reincarnated without all the troubles.

I have the 350 diesel in my G Class. It has awesome torque and will probably crawl up a vertical wall. Its 190kW can also propel the bread bin at a fair pace but really that in something as refined as a CLS? Not for me ,sorry.

That is not at all what I said .

Seems to me like you did but maybe I'm mistaken. Would you care to explain this then, you said that the Shooting Brake lacks top end power but your G Class will probably crawl up a vertical wall with the same engine.

jdza

May 3, 2010
Seems to me like you did but maybe I'm mistaken. Would you care to explain this then, you said that the Shooting Brake lacks top end power but your G Class will probably crawl up a vertical wall with the same engine.
CLS is petrol 350. It is fast ,quiet but lacks power for eg overtaking at high speeds on long hills. 500 is far superior engine. 350D is not superior unless in a truck.

G350Diesel is slow but has power to crawl. My point is I would not want a CLS that is ultimately a high speed cruiser with the diesel engine. It is my opinion .only

Last edited:

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Checked out the CLS today and did a test drive. Was a very nice ride and I never felt the 9 speed gearbox change gears. Car looks brand new. It's a trade-in from a couple well know to the dealer who buys new cars whenever they feel like it. They never even used the two seats in the back. Got a very nice deal so I bought it.

Reactions: christoph and GMKF

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing