Encino, CA
speaking of playlists (well, albums) - here is my tentative one for the Anima:

Nils Frahm - In Melody
Max Richter- Woolf pieces
Mad Season- Above
Blake Mills- Heigh Ho
Jason Isbell- Something More than Free
London Grammar- Strong

If I want to bring out the bassy electronica, Aphex Twin or Daft Punk will make an appearance as well.

Reactions: Blue58 and kodomo

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
historically, horns with tubes and vinyl were great on rock n' roll going back to the Klipschorn. i've been puzzled recently by some of the responses on this subject.

but then again, real rock n' roll not prog :p
Well, Sean named his Gede cables after the all-time great Geddy Lee of Rush, so me and Zu were always gonna happen.

Keith, I guess you prefer proper rock, Nickleback or Loverboy maybe?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
IMHO, as should be expected, your play list shows a strong musical preference that helps to understand the system and opinions - thanks for showing it!

This doesn't help us understand his system and opinions. For that you need to decipher his stream of consciousness

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
From the 'Visit to Marc C's' thread:

Several of our members, including me, have such wildly different impressions of the Animas in Munich that I’m tempted to throw out (for me personally in my own mind) all of those data points (including my negative impression) and go only by Anima home systems such as Mani’s.

I can 'ruin' the sound I'm currently getting quite easily, just by making a simple change anywhere along the chain. Perhaps the adage "garbage in, garbage out" really is true, and that speakers can get a hard time through no fault of their own?

Mani.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mani, spkrs are like lie detectors. But I just can't help myself when the lies whispered into my ears by my Zus are SOOOO compelling LOL.

Reactions: manisandher

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Mani, spkrs are like lie detectors. But I just can't help myself when the lies whispered into my ears by my Zus are SOOOO compelling LOL.
Lies or Fake News ?

Reactions: bonzo75

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
From the 'Visit to Marc C's' thread:

Well Ron, if you remember the Liszts demo we went to, the Animas at Mani are a little more forward and immediate. I personally think they'd benefit from SETs and good analog, despite Mani finding most triodes don't work as well as his SS First Watts. Despite them being v immediate, overly warm tubes are not called for, fast and precise SETs might work best. But that's just my taste. Mani has for good reason settled on his SS.

All in all, the Animas work in many different levels across many genres.

I've tried a number of amps with the Animas in the 2.5 years I've had them. If I'm permitted a little license to generalise with analogies, I'd say:

- with tube amps, the sound is like an oil painting
- with SS amps, the sound is like photos of differing resolutions (depending on amp)
- with the ultra-high-bandwidth First Watt cloned monos, the sound is like a hologram

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Mani.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
speaking of playlists (well, albums) - here is my tentative one for the Anima:

Nils Frahm - In Melody
Max Richter- Woolf pieces
Mad Season- Above
Blake Mills- Heigh Ho
Jason Isbell- Something More than Free
London Grammar- Strong

If I want to bring out the bassy electronica, Aphex Twin or Daft Punk will make an appearance as well.

Try Bop. Art Blakey and Hank Mobley should sound great on it. Brass is great.

Ps: not familiar with your recordings so if they already cover that type of music then fine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing