a musical journey - Aries Cerat, various devices

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, that was my plan. About a year ago, I was badgered into trying the Lampi Pacific direct to my 300B amps. I was amazed at how good it sounded. I immediately sold my preamp and said I would never buy another. I listened to the Horizon direct at the launch and thought the same thing.

To be honest, I had no intention of buying the Essentias. No, I did not listen to them prior to me buying but I did talk to at least 6 people who are knowledgeable and I trusted their judgement.

I know I said I would never buy another Preamp but it looks like if I can just convince my wife, I am going to order the Ageto in early 2023. Who knows, I may go to an all-AC system. It is one step at a time.
So @Willgolf - how are you finding your new Essentia’s?

Reactions: musicfirst1

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Oh My :confused:

Let me see whether I have this straight … Some John Doe registered since 2018 awakens like some KGB sleeper and in only his/her second ever post drops his/her pants and attempts to take a dump on a thread created specifically by the OP to chronicle his own highly personal journey with Aries Cerat Hi Fidelity audio components.

During the course of this particular bodily function John Doe neglects entirely to disclose his/her Commercial interests in … And Yes you might have suspected as much Dear Readers …

https://www-bellemusique-fr.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Now, taking aside the blatant attempt to discredit another manufacturers electronics in favour of his/her own commercial interest, we must also consider the validity of the less that industry professional testing methodology as employed during this *claimed* A/B comparison between two pre amplifiers designed of disparate electronic circuit topologies as pointed out by subsequent respondents to this somewhat less than technical tour de force , akin to arbitrarily throwing a Moving Coil pickup cartridge into a phono stage system optimised for a Moving Magnet.

Any reasonably minded reader of this highly biased, in a technical / electronic circuit sense, and for my part I consider also one of highly erroneous personal bias , might *Also* like to consider the *Value* , if any , of throwing an otherwise excellent but disparate Atma Sphere MP-1 into a complete Aries Cerat system comprised of entirely miss matched optimum circuit requirements whilst connected to its *Alien* ancillary components via RCA connections only, and one for which it was not primarily designed.

I look forward to his / her next enlightening contribution to the forum with the same relish akin to having contracted Dysentery which manifest itself whilst wearing a deep sea diving suit!
@Aries Cerat, Is there any reason to think the Atmasphere MP1 pre would -not- be a good match with the AC Concero 25?

The MP1 is high gain which I’ve been told is best for AC.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
@Aries Cerat, Is there any reason to think the Atmasphere MP1 pre would -not- be a good match with the AC Concero 25?

The MP1 is high gain which I’ve been told is best for AC.
The low gain Concero 25 is very low gain amp,requires a quite high driving voltage from preamp. (Not all AC amps are low gain btw).

The AS says 32v out max but doesn't say if it is VRms and if applicable for the RCA output.(some preamps have output spec ,for an RCA output , half of their XLR output.)

So to answer that in confidence,will need more info from AS .

If we assume 32vrms from RCA then answer is yes,with headroom to spare.
( especially if you use AC source).

cheers
S

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I'm happily committed to the Atmasphere pre!

One possible solution suggested to me to avoid the rca halving of the the pre's output voltage: use two Jensen balanced to unbalanced full range isolation transformers. Pre > xlr ic > Jensen > xlr to rca adapters > Concero set.

Another more $$ option is to upgrade to the AC Essentia mono's.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az

You only live once!!!! LOL. I truly enjoy my Essentias.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015

One possible solution suggested to me to avoid the rca halving of the the pre's output voltage: use two Jensen balanced to unbalanced full range isolation transformers. Pre > xlr ic > Jensen > xlr to rca adapters > Concero set.

These can work yes, though up to +19Db signal.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
I would be cautious about available voltage and gain in the audio system. This coupled with high sensitivity speakers could result in a very limited/narrow range of the volume control. Anything above say 9 o’clock setting may potentially be too loud. Food for thought.
Charles

Reactions: Stef

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
I would be cautious about available voltage and gain in the audio system. This coupled with high sensitivity speakers could result in a very limited/narrow range of the volume control. Anything above say 9 o’clock setting may potentially be too loud. Food for thought.
Charles
Absolutely.that is why we are always considering total system gain and not individual components.you have to see it in holistic way,that is source voltage output,preamp max and min gain ,amp gain and speaker sensitivity.

Aim is to maximize useful range on the volume control.

Some designs have some features to help optimize the total system gain ,such as -6 db switches on sources and some preamps,and gain switch in some amps(Ianus Series amps).

Cheers

S

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I did hear from Ralph at Atmasphere on their preamps voltage gain. He explained that their pre's use the balanced line standard where ground is ignored. The result is the same voltage (32V output max) used for both balanced and single ended.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing