a musical journey - Aries Cerat, various devices

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have recently compared Aries Cerat Impera II to Atma Sphere MP-1. It was my first encounter with Aries Cerat

What are the huge horns your friend has, and what amp is he driving them with?

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I would not jump to conclusion too fast. Iv lived with every single Atma-Sphere product there is in the last 10 years, This includes their Novacrons and Nirvana Amplifier. The nirvana in my opinion was the best amp Atma has made, iv not tried their new class D amps yet.

I have both the MP-1 and MP-3 and the smaller UV-1

From the picture above i can see your running a M60 Mono? This is a fully balanced design and works best with fully balanced Pre-amp which i think the Aries Pre is not?

You might also have Gain matching issue here too much or too little will throw your system off balance With the Aries Cerat gear. You might want to first Play with the Gain setting in the Impera 2

Whilst I agree the MP-1 is a excellent pre-amp its very transparent i can see their might be a system miss match with the OTL amps.

The MP-1 or 3 will happily mate with the Atma-sphere amps. It may need work to get the Aries Cerat gear to match to some level. Looking at Aries Cerat Website I cant find the Pre-amp being Fully balanced. if this is the case i am sure you have gain. Issues on this particular setup

Last edited:

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Interesting - what amp and dac are you using?
Looks like a Playback Design DAC.

I think the has a Gain Matching Issue here.

I would be interested to know which MP-1 he has their are various versions with upgrades which can also set the pre-amp up to a asking price of 35k if fully loaded.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Looks like a Playback Design DAC.

I think the has a Gain Matching Issue here.

I would be interested to know which MP-1 he has their are various versions with upgrades which can also set the pre-amp up to a asking price of 35k if fully loaded.
I agree, which is why I was asking....I had a similar issue with the Aries gear when paired with my Lampi DAC

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Oh My :confused:

Let me see whether I have this straight … Some John Doe registered since 2018 awakens like some KGB sleeper and in only his/her second ever post drops his/her pants and attempts to take a dump on a thread created specifically by the OP to chronicle his own highly personal journey with Aries Cerat Hi Fidelity audio components.

During the course of this particular bodily function John Doe neglects entirely to disclose his/her Commercial interests in … And Yes you might have suspected as much Dear Readers …

https://www-bellemusique-fr.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

Now, taking aside the blatant attempt to discredit another manufacturers electronics in favour of his/her own commercial interest, we must also consider the validity of the less that industry professional testing methodology as employed during this *claimed* A/B comparison between two pre amplifiers designed of disparate electronic circuit topologies as pointed out by subsequent respondents to this somewhat less than technical tour de force , akin to arbitrarily throwing a Moving Coil pickup cartridge into a phono stage system optimised for a Moving Magnet.

Any reasonably minded reader of this highly biased, in a technical / electronic circuit sense, and for my part I consider also one of highly erroneous personal bias , might *Also* like to consider the *Value* , if any , of throwing an otherwise excellent but disparate Atma Sphere MP-1 into a complete Aries Cerat system comprised of entirely miss matched optimum circuit requirements whilst connected to its *Alien* ancillary components via RCA connections only, and one for which it was not primarily designed.

I look forward to his / her next enlightening contribution to the forum with the same relish akin to having contracted Dysentery which manifest itself whilst wearing a deep sea diving suit!

Last edited:

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
On a much more exciting and positive front, My Ianus Essentia amps are arriving today. I can't wait to see how they perform!

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
On a much more exciting and positive front, My Ianus Essentia amps are arriving today. I can't wait to see how they perform!
Will , perhaps consider opening a thread over on the Aries Cerat sub forum where you might convey your thoughts and considerations relating to your new AC amplification :)

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Will , perhaps consider opening a thread over on the Aries Cerat sub forum where you might convey your thoughts and considerations relating to your new AC amplification :)
I will....it may take a while. I had to order a new component stand and rack system to fit the Essentias and leave room for either an Imperra Signature or Ageto Preamp. I have not had a preamp for over a year as I have been running my DAC direct to my 300B mono amps.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I will....it may take a while. I had to order a new component stand and rack system to fit the Essentias and leave room for either an Imperra Signature or Ageto Preamp. I have not had a preamp for over a year as I have been running my DAC direct to my 300B mono amps.
I like the Cut Of Your Jib Master Golf ;) Whilst the TriodeFet Single Ended , Single Stage Essentia’s are remarkably flexible in their range of Input select-ability ,for me the Ageto TriodeFet Gen 3 would be the AC pre-amplifier of choice were I looking to partner those amplifiers..

Last edited:

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Hey @Willgolf - are you going to initially run the Lampi direct into the Essentia’s? Did you hear the Essentia’s before buying??

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Hey @Willgolf - are you going to initially run the Lampi direct into the Essentia’s? Did you hear the Essentia’s before buying??
Yes, that was my plan. About a year ago, I was badgered into trying the Lampi Pacific direct to my 300B amps. I was amazed at how good it sounded. I immediately sold my preamp and said I would never buy another. I listened to the Horizon direct at the launch and thought the same thing.

To be honest, I had no intention of buying the Essentias. No, I did not listen to them prior to me buying but I did talk to at least 6 people who are knowledgeable and I trusted their judgement.

I know I said I would never buy another Preamp but it looks like if I can just convince my wife, I am going to order the Ageto in early 2023. Who knows, I may go to an all-AC system. It is one step at a time.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Wow! Congrats on the Essentias…fabulous monos!

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, that was my plan. About a year ago, I was badgered into trying the Lampi Pacific direct to my 300B amps. I was amazed at how good it sounded. I immediately sold my preamp and said I would never buy another. I listened to the Horizon direct at the launch and thought the same thing.

To be honest, I had no intention of buying the Essentias. No, I did not listen to them prior to me buying but I did talk to at least 6 people who are knowledgeable and I trusted their judgement.

I know I said I would never buy another Preamp but it looks like if I can just convince my wife, I am going to order the Ageto in early 2023. Who knows, I may go to an all-AC system. It is one step at a time.
Cool! Well a big congrats on the monos - I’m soon to try the Aperio integrated which uses the same tech as the Essentia’s and am really looking forward to seeing how it goes following quite a few demos with different amps…let us know your thoughts when you get them and how they sound direct with the Horizon

Reactions: Willgolf

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Cool! Well a big congrats on the monos - I’m soon to try the Aperio integrated which uses the same tech as the Essentia’s and am really looking forward to seeing how it goes following quite a few demos with different amps…let us know your thoughts when you get them and how they sound direct with the Horizon
With what speakers and source?

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Speakers are Alsyvox Botticelli X - source is either MSB Select II or a Lampi Baltic 3, fed by a Taiko Extreme
Super nice systems!

Reactions: Levitator

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing