A question of DAC's, misunderstanding, and deciding on whether I need one - comments please!

Yes you will get probably even more of a jump in SQ by getting a decent DAC. The Helene is a superb DAC and is R2R with a tube output stage, so a very natural sound AND linear as well.

Good luck with your search.

I for one am someone who swears by physical CD playback. Streaming that can compete is either expensive or requires great effort to get it right, at least from my experience. Usually I hear more natural playback from physical CD (in particular with reclocker), streaming tends to sound more synthetic, regardless if CD format or "hi-res".
Have you tried ripping your CDs and playing those from a dedicated server? I find that beats most CDTs, and of course is super convenient.

I have to question whether a new standalone DAC would provide objectively better sound, or just a different sound. I doubt that an Yggdrasil would be an improvement on the X1 DAC, but it would be different. I know of audiophiles with very sophisticated network audio systems built around the X1.

I have tried a USB drive connected to my exaSound PlayPoint and found it lifeless compared to the cleaned feed from my NAS. If this were my decision, I would rip my CDs to a new Lumin L2, plug my router into the L2 and connect to the X1 via fiber optic cable, with the top quality Finisar SFPs. Connect the CD player digital output to the X1. That's a primo digital system, with much improved streaming quality.

"Sure, you have a multiplicity of streamers, streamer/DACs, and streamer/DAC/ preamplifiers to choose from these days, and, alas, the Lumin X1 is only one of them (to steal an ancient audiophile cliché). But it’s an outstanding one that gets everything right and does it all with style."

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu