A violin only a horn lover could love

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Can you name this instrument?

thumbnail.jpg

We were in NYC recently and saw 3 concerts (Max Vengerov at Carnegie on Sunday- frankly, a disappointment; Bryn Terfel at Carnegie on Tuesday- just fantastic) and the Vince Giordano Big Band at Birdland on Monday- wonderful and a real hoot. The Giordano Big Band is the house band and plays two shows every Monday evening. They specialize in music from the 20's and 30's and are terrific.That's where we saw this instrument, being played here by Andy Stein (who also plays the sax and fiddle).

The formal name of the instrument is the "Stroh" violin and was commonly used from 1896 to 1929 until electric amplification was more common in recording studios. I spoke to Andy after the show and learned he was a founding member of Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, a group formed in Ann Arbor Michigan in 1967 before they moved to San Francisco (you may recall their hit "Hot Rod Lincoln". They also opened for the Grateful Dead at Winterland in 1974). Much to my surprise they are releasing a new album shortly! The Giordano Big Band was a pure toe-tapping delight (Birdland is a wonderful small venue and one of my favorites). Andy was also a member of Asleep at the Wheel, a Western Swing band that can really rock with the.best of them. I asked him if "Bob Wills still the King". He replied "damn right"! So, how does the Stroh violin sound? Let's just say it ain't gonna win any awards from audiophiles, but music lovers will certainly appreciate its charms.

Stroh.png

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
John Tichy played the guitar as a regular early on. He got his PhD at U of M in AA and has had a successful career as an academic and researcher in engineering. I used to run into him at international meetings, but I haven’t seen him in 20 years.

Reactions: marty

Tabl10s

Jul 30, 2019
Sacramento
Can you name this instrument?

View attachment 119954

We were in NYC recently and saw 3 concerts (Max Vengerov at Carnegie on Sunday- frankly, a disappointment; Bryn Terfel at Carnegie on Tuesday- just fantastic) and the Vince Giordano Big Band at Birdland on Monday- wonderful and a real hoot. The Giordano Big Band is the house band and plays two shows every Monday evening. They specialize in music from the 20's and 30's and are terrific.That's where we saw this instrument, being played here by Andy Stein (who also plays the sax and fiddle).

The formal name of the instrument is the "Stroh" violin and was commonly used from 1896 to 1929 until electric amplification was more common in recording studios. I spoke to Andy after the show and learned he was a founding member of Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, a group formed in Ann Arbor Michigan in 1967 before they moved to San Francisco (you may recall their hit "Hot Rod Lincoln". They also opened for the Grateful Dead at Winterland in 1974). Much to my surprise they are releasing a new album shortly! The Giordano Big Band was a pure toe-tapping delight (Birdland is a wonderful small venue and one of my favorites). Andy was also a member of Asleep at the Wheel, a Western Swing band that can really rock with the.best of them. I asked him if "Bob Wills still the King". He replied "damn right"! So, how does the Stroh violin sound? Let's just say it ain't gonna win any awards from audiophiles, but music lovers will certainly appreciate its charms.

View attachment 119955

Reactions: marty

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing