A work in progress

David MS

Mar 2, 2021
Good evening from Baltimore: I include a photograph of my current system: The Reed1c with Tru-Glider arm and Hana Unami Red cartridge; Audio Note CD player, Backert Labs preamp and phono-preamp, Alsyvox Tintoretto speakers, Hemingway (The Creation) cables. Yes, the Tru-Glider is a little controversial (Michael Fremer distrusts the physics involved), but having carefully A/B'd it against Reed's own excellent arm (thank you Dr. Vinyl) and a Schroeder CB-1, I prefer the Tru-Glider. I have gone back and forward with my choice of amps. The Ampsandsound Bryce monos, pictured here, are terrific - they throw a very large sound stage, and (surprising for a 12 watt amp driving a 93db efficient speaker) are very dynamic, and very revealing of detail and texture. However, I have also loved the sound of the New Audio Frontiers 845 SE stereo amp - with that extra touch of air and warmth that, to my ears, is not fuzzy or misty but actually enables its own kind of convincing transparency. I would love to have the space/$ for both amps!. The room is certainly a limiting factor (I wish I could add a couple of feet to the 13 foot width) but the room treatment has helped, and it is what it is.

I have deeply enjoyed this forum - especially the wide variety of experiences, tastes, and judgments that make it sing!
Many thanks to members who took the time to read this.

Attachments

• IMG_1200.jpeg
    IMG_1200.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 137

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Very nice system and setup. Interesting to see the 12 watts running the Alsyvox to satisfying results.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Beautiful system - congrats. Which other cables did you try before settling on the Hemingways?

David MS

Mar 2, 2021
Beautiful system - congrats. Which other cables did you try before settling on the Hemingways?
So sorry I missed this question. I have tried a number of speaker cables, including those from Sonus Faber (I used to own the Guarneri Homage), but most recently the EnKlein. I will be posting an updated version of my system shortly because of several major changes.

Reactions: adamaley

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing