A810 Tips and Capstan Shut-off

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I found this article. They talk about the need to turn the machine on in order to trickle charge the MP Unit Bd. battery (Varta). Apparently in default factory setup, the capstan continuosly runs even if the tension roller arms are in the down (Tape off/out) position. There is a small plastic cap jumper that sits on two of 3 brass pins. The manual shows the location as does the article. My first deck from Ki already had this done, my other didn't. I just perfromed the operation w/o issue. Save your capstan motor bearings. :D

RAM Buffer Battery (BA1)
Studer Manual 2.7 and 2.7.1 (degraded operation), 3.1.2 (MP Unit), and Section 5 (MP Unit diagrams).

Check the accumulator occasionally and refresh if necessary, or replace it after a couple of years. Something very important: before you replace the accumulator make a backup of your recorder's audio parameters, which you can re-load to your recorder after you have replaced the accumulator! The accu-pack is soldered on the MP Unit. Concerning the accumulator type refer to the MP-Unit diagrams in Section 5 of your Studer Manual.
Should you use your recorder only once in a while it may be necessary that you leave it switched on for a day (or during the night) about once a week to charge the accumulator, in order to avoid complete loss of the audio parameters to which your tape recorder was calibrated. If you do this with a Studer A810 it will be a good idea to set the jumper JS2 on the Capstan Motor Control print to the position "Capstan Shut Off", which will protect the bearings of the capstan motor from unnecessary wear - for more details see also below.

Capstan Motor
Studer Manual 2.9, 3.2.9, 3.4.6, 4.2.9.12, and Section 6 (Tape Transport Diagrams)

In order to protect the bearings of the capstan motor from unnecessary wear, the jumper JS2 on the capstan motor control print (Capstan Motor Control PCB / GR26) can be set in the position CAPSTAN SHUT OFF as shown below. When JS2 is in position CAPSTAN SHUT OFF the capstan motor will switch off in case of „Tape Out“.

http://www.capstan.at/Reel2006/Essay 09.html#Capstanshutoff

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing