Abbas dac 2.1 se

After reading about the mods Lukasz did to the CEC TL1X I decided to pick up a TL1. In stock form it sounds way different than my current production TL5. I had to switch the rectifier in the Abbas to compensate for this. Will probably do the simple mod of wiring the spdif direct to the output.

D31FFE9A-05F8-463B-BEC8-8E9D0F694AC6.jpeg

I decided to pick up a TL1. In stock form it sounds way different than my current production TL5. I

Great looking machine, Interesting! The TL51 modded will lift performance close to the TL1, but you are right the sound is different, the output stages are not the same(?) and mostly to be avoided altough I like my TL!
TL1X out of the box.
Definitely the SPDIF mod helps on the 51, I will do the same on my TL1X soon.
Keen to hear what you think.
What rectifiers did you swap out?

What rectifiers did you swap out?
My 2.4SE came with a JAN 6x5 from Abbas and then I have a National Union also. Just swapping the rectifier makes quite a big difference in the character of the 2.4SE. With my Marantz CD15 as transport I could use either with good results. With the TL5 the JAN was too much of a good thing with a transport that is already a bit smoothed over. The National Union opened things up a bit. Now it’s the opposite with the TL1, didn’t like the National Union at all. Too bright. The JAN is a little warmer with better bass.

Reactions: gerihifi and Artnet
After reading about the mods Lukasz did to the CEC TL1X I decided to pick up a TL1. In stock form it sounds way different than my current production TL5. I had to switch the rectifier in the Abbas to compensate for this. Will probably do the simple mod of wiring the spdif direct to the output.

View attachment 99070
How is the SPDIF actually wired if not direct to the output? Definitely seems that this is a worthwhile modification to do.I have to believe that this would improve the sound quality.
Charles

@djsina2
Major appreciation for the provided link. What an interesting and certainly insightful evaluation of the inner workings of the CEC transport. Why did it require an outsider talented audio builder/engineer to correct what CEC should have done?

I have no doubt with his modification if improved just as he reports. Great news for those who own one.

And the gushing approval from Stereophile of the stock version with its easily pointed out sonic shortcomings.

I’m convinced that if one of the established and high profile brands did what Abbas painstakingly does, these DACs would be high multiples of what he charges.

LampiZator’s comments about the older TEAC transports I can relate to. I owned an early generation of the Esoteric/TEAC CD transport with VRDS clamping mechanism. It was pretty decent sounding.

I replaced it in 2010 with a P.S. audio PWT which was an improvement sonically. My current Pro-Ject RS2T beats both handily, a different tier of performance. I’m so eager to hear it paired with the Abbas 3.2SE.
Charles

@djsina2
Major appreciation for the provided link. What an interesting and certainly insightful evaluation of the inner workings of the CEC transport. Why did it require an outsider talented audio builder/engineer to correct what CEC should have done?

I have no doubt with his modification if improved just as he reports. Great news for those who own one.

And the gushing approval from Stereophile of the stock version with its easily pointed out sonic shortcomings.
Well, I don’t think you understand. CEC does this on purpose because they obviously think it sounds better or more analog or whatever. Nothing to fix in their mind, THEY improved it.

I would say Lukasz’s comments are a little overblown. In stock form it sounds quite good. I’m sure bypassing that filter could offer some improvements though. Really the bass is the only thing that’s not so great.

Keep in mind it’s 30 years old. I’m sure the Hifi landscape was different back then. Stereophile clearly pointed out the differences between it and the ML.

I sure hope you like your Abbas. I’ve never seen someone so into a piece of gear they’ve never heard before.

Reactions: Artnet
“sure hope you like your Abbas. I’ve never seen someone so into a piece of gear they’ve never heard before”

Strange comment!
Of course I am very much looking forward to getting it. Who would want to part with money and purchase something if they had no interest in the product? Based on the many positive comments on this thread, yes it has certainly sparked my interest.

Communication with Abbas has been very friendly, interesting and educational. I have gained much respect for his musical and technical background as well as owner feedback regarding his manufactured products. So yes I am very optimistic with regard to receiving the 3.2SE. If this offends you I’m sorry.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713
Lukasz’s comments may or may not be overblown. All opinions regarding Audio matters are subjective, we all know that. I felt that he revealed a lot about the product. You own it, if you feel differently I completely understand that.
Charles

I sure hope you like your Abbas. I’ve never seen someone so into a piece of gear they’ve never heard before.

Not willing to detail the list of items I have enthusiastically purchased unheard.

All responsibly researched and It includes an Abbas DAC.:D

Difficult to have access to listen sometimes and easy to get enthused particularly with such an informative thread!

Enthusiasm and integrity in the engineer designer builder always effects my choices.
Synergy is paramount and there would be plenty of gear that is of interest to me but wouldn't include in my current system.
This has meant a little work in the case of my CEC journey. Some wont like the experience. I will be interested to hear both transports with a different DAC. Might have to look at another.

Keep in mind it’s 30 years old. I’m sure the Hifi landscape was different back then.

Absolutely the beginning of digital play back, give or take:)

@Artnet
“Difficult to have access to listen sometimes and easy to get enthused particularly with such an informative thread!

Enthusiasm and integrity in the engineer designer builder always effects my choices”

Exactly! Well said.
This is a very fun, thoughtful and informative thread. I have probably 4 or 5 months (Could be longer given Abbas’ tenuous situation) of waiting for my DAC to be built. So in the meantime I’ll hangout here.
Charles

Lukasz’s comments may or may not be overblown. All opinions regarding Audio matters are subjective, we all know that. I felt that he revealed a lot about the product. You own it, if you feel differently I completely understand that.
Charles
LOL he even contradicted himself within the course of that how-to. I would call that overblown and jumping to conclusions.

F14C0CEA-F7AD-4D82-B3BD-F1C508FA7FEC.jpeg
then…

B2D15E33-9FD8-471F-BF33-076B0217053A.jpeg

Not really, your posts sound like you work in the Abbas marketing department.
Well, I’ve explained my reasons for my excitement and enthusiasm. If you do not understand or appreciate them, that’s okay.

Certainly you have the choice to interpret my posts on this thread as you see fit. As I have written before,I had never heard of Abbas until I found this thread.

The more I read on this site as well as his website, my interests grew substantially. I really admire the combination of his trained musical/musician ear and his extensive background in electronics and audio.

I have had the good fortune to listen to a wide variety of DACs. Most of them just weren’t what I was searching for. Artificial/synthetic/Uber detail oriented.

Based on what I have been able to gather, there’s a high probability that an Abbas DAC/cables (Emphasis toward naturalness and expressive humanity) will satisfy my search and objectives.

One day when it arrives to my home I will be able to see if my suspicions are correct or not. So yes, much gleeful anticipation on my
part. Some will understand and some will not.
Charles

Reactions: cal3713
Speaking of i2s, heres a pretty daring diy project:

Reactions: Artnet
Anyone hear from Abbas? I got my replacement 2.4SE last week and I emailed him to see what to do with the original one but haven’t got a response.

New one on the right, see some minor differences.

49D276C2-C038-4158-A112-3EAA0F4F6D5D.jpeg

I emailed with him on the 4th about my USB/Spdif converter, but haven't heard back after his first reponse that day.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing