AC Preamps: Impera II & Impera Signature

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
First, both DACs are in my personal conversation for best DACs under 100k.
As for sonics, a good car analogy would be that the Tambaqui is like a Caymen GT4, while the Kassandra II is like a 911 Carrara 4.
The Tambaqui more about speed, detail and air, while the Kassandra focus is more on dynamics, power and analogue sensibilites. If the potential buyer is going to add a Aries Cerat preamplifier and amplifier, then the choice edges towards the Kassandra, (especially when using the high gain outputs of the Kassandra), as the Kassandra was originally designed to be a reference source for all the electronics and speakers that were developed subsequently.

These distinctions are subtle, as each DAC is still outstanding in the areas I mentioned where the other DAC shines. One really can't go wrong with either DAC. The choice comes down to personal preferences and system synergy.

Kerry
That is a very diplomatic answer :) Even secretary general Guterrez would be proud

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
He sells both.
Not to offend anybody :p
No offence taken at all!

I sell both because I love both, and I chose these DACs after auditioning literally dozens of contenders in this price range that I could have chosen to carry. My personal DAC trilogy under $100k is and will remain the Kassy II SIG, the Kassy II REF, and the Tambaqui. Period.

If one's budget extends to the Kassy II SIG, this is a clear choice for the best of the three under discussion.
However, the choice between the Kassandra II REF and the Tambaqui is much more nuanced. Notwithstanding my politically correct answer, I tried to elaborate on the differences between these two rermarkable DACs.

In this day and age, there are SO many manufacturers looking for legitimate dealers, and distributors (especially in North America) that one simply does not have to carry products that one doesn't truly believe in.

Music First doesn't and won't. Not ever.

Kerry

billse

Apr 18, 2022
I am considering an Aries Cerat Impera !! Ref preamp to use with my CH Precision 1.1 amplifier. I have always enjoyed solid state compared to tubes as I like the sonic attributes in general. My other consideration is the matching CHP L-1 pre amp which might be a better match for my taste/preference and since it is designed with respect to the L-l for other CHP preamps this also may give it certain sonic advantages.. I am not able to get out to audition either so just have to speculate and make the best decision I can. From reading various reviews including HFA I am on the fence see possibilities in either direction but still thinking the L-1 would work best. If I auditioned both under favorable conditions I think it would become clear which I prefer...but can't. Any thoughts to help in the direction of either preamps would be appreciated.

Reactions: Stef

Audio Addict

VIP/Donor
Mar 20, 2016
Central Illinois
The biggest issue with an AC preamplifier is using it with a non-AC amplifier. I would discuss this with your AC dealer. An AC preamplifier typically has a lot more gain coming out than a regular preamplifier and may not be a good match unless you work with the dealer to be sure you can get a lower gain version.

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
I am considering an Aries Cerat Impera !! Ref preamp to use with my CH Precision 1.1 amplifier. I have always enjoyed solid state compared to tubes as I like the sonic attributes in general. My other consideration is the matching CHP L-1 pre amp which might be a better match for my taste/preference and since it is designed with respect to the L-l for other CHP preamps this also may give it certain sonic advantages.. I am not able to get out to audition either so just have to speculate and make the best decision I can. From reading various reviews including HFA I am on the fence see possibilities in either direction but still thinking the L-1 would work best. If I auditioned both under favorable conditions I think it would become clear which I prefer...but can't. Any thoughts to help in the direction of either preamps would be appreciated.
I had the same dilemma than you and unfortunately there is no black and white answer. A matching CHP preamp for your CHP power amp will ensure that you will have perfect hifi synergie while an AC Preamp could potentially bring you higher in musicality.... I ended buying both (the matching TAD preamp for my TAD gears and an AC preamp) and I still feel it was the right choice doing so. The only point you have to be careful is the gain matching between AC and CHP - Stavros should be able to help

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hi
The Impera comes in three gain versions ,low,med and high(high was the original version,which fitted perfectly low gain amplifiers but a bit hot on solid state amps).
The low gain is suitable for all SS systems as well as the mid version.

Cheers
Stavrose

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
all answer valuable, i have a full CHP system and AC full system on order... so i would do a bunch of tests between them in one point for personal education, but - dont forget the CHP has the ability to switch gain up and down, so even if you will have Impera that will be possible too hot, you always can get your 1.1 down in gain to suit it also.

Last edited:

billse

Apr 18, 2022
The biggest issue with an AC preamplifier is using it with a non-AC amplifier. I would discuss this with your AC dealer. An AC preamplifier typically has a lot more gain coming out than a regular preamplifier and may not be a good match unless you work with the dealer to be sure you can get a lower gain version.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I spoke with the AC dealer/distributer and the version I am getting is the low gain so I can check that of the list. THANK YOU

billse

Apr 18, 2022
all answer valuable, i have a full CHP system and AC full system on order... so i would do a bunch of tests between them in one point for personal education, but - dont forget the CHP has the ability to switch gain up and down, so even if you will have Impera that will be possible too hot, you always can get your 1.1 down in gain to suit it also.
I had the same dilemma than you and unfortunately there is no black and white answer. A matching CHP preamp for your CHP power amp will ensure that you will have perfect hifi synergie while an AC Preamp could potentially bring you higher in musicality.... I ended buying both (the matching TAD preamp for my TAD gears and an AC preamp) and I still feel it was the right choice doing so. The only point you have to be careful is the gain matching between AC and CHP - Stavros should be able to help
Thank you Stef. With your post along with the other posts helped me feel more comfortable moving towards the AC pre. Greatly appreciate that you took the time to reply.

billse

Apr 18, 2022
You are obviously very familiar with the CHP sound. Knowing you getting the AC equip as well was particularly encouraging. Also that you work with so many top tier brands. THANK YOU

Reactions: byrdparis

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
You are obviously very familiar with the CHP sound. Knowing you getting the AC equip as well was particularly encouraging. Also that you work with so many top tier brands. THANK YOU
i never did an A-B-A test between them (only C1.2 vs HELENE dacs for now)... so i cannot state any differences in my system that will help you yet.
i think only HFA does those in PRE, and DAC area, and also maybe amplification i cant remember.
and love his way to listen to things.

BUT - when i visited at Stavros place and listen to AC entire line i was touched and amazed on Audio and Human level with Music like i never been before.
so, it was a done deal for me and it left me order a full and not so easy digest price wise system .
i have the up most confident in Stavros and AC ability to build Ultra high engaging device to reproduce beautiful music.

aviad.

billse

Apr 18, 2022
Hi
The Impera comes in three gain versions ,low,med and high(high was the original version,which fitted perfectly low gain amplifiers but a bit hot on solid state amps).
The low gain is suitable for all SS systems as well as the mid version.

Cheers
Stavrose
Thank you Stavrose ..-I think that it is wonderful that you take the time to reply to so many queries even as insignificant as mine seems

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing