Accuphase preamps

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
Dear all,

As it stands I'd like to replace parts of my system to be all from the same brand, in this case - Accuphase. I'm currently running the BHK Signature preamp and was wondering how it stacks up in the Accuphase hierachy?
So far I've found one review of the BHK roughly stating it was in the C-24xx ballpark.
Another question would be which model to get, as the second hand prices vary wildly - one can get a second hand C-3800/2850 for the price of a brand new C-2300.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
Dear all,

As it stands I'd like to replace parts of my system to be all from the same brand, in this case - Accuphase. I'm currently running the BHK Signature preamp and was wondering how it stacks up in the Accuphase hierachy?
So far I've found one review of the BHK roughly stating it was in the C-24xx ballpark.
Another question would be which model to get, as the second hand prices vary wildly - one can get a second hand C-3800/2850 for the price of a brand new C-2300.

The C-3800 series is the benchmark. If you can afford it, it's the one to own.

Reactions: Acci and DeYoung

Republicoftexas69

Dear all,

I think my priority would be to go listen to one with your current amplification and speakers.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I think my priority would be to go listen to one with your current amplification and speakers.

You are of course normally correct. But here's the thing. I have extensive experience with Accuphase products, and have owned them for 30 years.

One thing I have learned about them is that they are exquisitely made to perform best together.

For example, when I use my P350 with my C250, they are a perfect match. When I use the same amp with one of their current sota preamps, it provides an even more refined yet perfect match.

So as long as the preamp is in the same class or better, the amp will respond favorably.

Now, I agree that it is best for him to hear the match for himself, in his own system.

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
Enjoying a C-3850 since 2018... paired with a A-75... I'm set for some time to come.

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
I'm also planning to go for a full Accuphase setup, however auditioning in own system is not really an option when buying used (and often, from abroad).
I was curious about the 2300 as often the TOTL solutions tend to trickle down to the lower-end models throughout the years.

On the other note, I've heard the 2800/3800 run pretty toasty, is that true?

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I was curious about the 2300 as often the TOTL solutions tend to trickle down to the lower-end models throughout the years.

The differences between the levels offered are mainly a matter of refinement.

What amp do you plan to use?

DeYoung

VIP/Donor
Feb 20, 2019
KY
On the other note, I've heard the 2800/3800 run pretty toasty, is that true?\
Not sure where you got that info...
If by "toasty" you mean more than warm to the touch after reaching its ambient running temp.. then my C-3850 is warm but no way does it run "hot" or anything remotely close to that.

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
I have a Pass XA30.5 but planning to change to an Accuphase as well, ideally an A50V/A60 for mid/high and a P- series for the bass as I'm using the Accuphase F-20 crossover.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I have a Pass XA30.5 but planning to change to an Accuphase as well, ideally an A50V/A60 for mid/high and a P- series for the bass as I'm using the Accuphase F-20 crossover.

You definitely what one of the flagship models then, but you need to decide on the amps before we can match the best preamp to them.

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
Well, the power amps will be Accuphase anyway, but it's a bit of a case of 'whatever comes to market' that fits the search criteria and the bill. Could be an A50, A60 or maybe something from the A-4x range.

martin778

Oct 2, 2014
I've got the first power amp, it's going to be the A-60. Can get a nice trade-in for a brand new C-2300 but it's a tough choice - 2300, 2450, 2800 or 3800.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I've got the first power amp, it's going to be the A-60. Can get a nice trade-in for a brand new C-2300 but it's a tough choice - 2300, 2450, 2800 or 3800.

Good choice. You will want to stay at the top level of preamps. The 2800 and 3800 series are acceptable choices.

Ricky64

Apr 17, 2021
I just had the chance to listen to the C3900 in my system, feeding into a Gryphon Essence amp. I sounded fantastic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing