added a 3rd Studer A-820 Mk2 with both 1/4" and 1/2" heads, guides and hubs

srs148

Jan 3, 2016
Your wishful thinking is much appreciated. Great crowd in this thread.
All LEDs are on. I will have my tech run through the list Ki suggested. I have all backups I ever need on my vinyl front but not on tape. Now I have to think of backups on tape front.

View attachment 86364
I'm sure your tech will be able to quickly resolve the problem. Unfortunately, while audio card spares are easy to find on eBay, the transport control cards are typically not. The only reliable source of those cards is Audiohouse in Switzerland. If anyone knows differently, I'd love to know.

waltzingbear

Apr 8, 2019
Portland, Oregon
I'm sure your tech will be able to quickly resolve the problem. Unfortunately, while audio card spares are easy to find on eBay, the transport control cards are typically not. The only reliable source of those cards is Audiohouse in Switzerland. If anyone knows differently, I'd love to know.
The first step Ki forgot to mention is to reboot the system. The main cpu is on the Master MPU card and it has a button switch on the front edge that will reset the system. The other is the TD MPU (tape deck) and it has the same switch (same type card just provisioned differently).
Turning the power off and on does the same thing, just takes longer. The button has saved me in session before.
Cheers
Alan

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The first step Ki forgot to mention is to reboot the system. The main cpu is on the Master MPU card and it has a button switch on the front edge that will reset the system. The other is the TD MPU (tape deck) and it has the same switch (same type card just provisioned differently).
Turning the power off and on does the same thing, just takes longer. The button has saved me in session before.
Cheers
Alan
Thank you sir. Ki did not forget. He saw I wrote I turned on and off power earlier. My tape dealer will come to pick up my machine this Thursday.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Come on leif be honest .
Isnt that adjustable spooling handle on the M 15 far more practiçal / faster then the push buttons on the A 80 ?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
yes that single feature is very useful and were adapted in the A816 for a good reason, but the rest of the machine is slightly primitive
but I quite like it...

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Come on leif be honest .
Isnt that adjustable spooling handle on the M 15 far more practiçal / faster then the push buttons on the A 80 ?
3 speeds is definitely better, than one, but I like the way the A807/810 do it. :)

Not to mention some machines with trully variable speeds. :)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
3 speeds is definitely better, than one, but I like the way the A807/810 do it. :)

like I mentioned earlier...on my A80RC I use EDIT spooling for variable speed
a wheel or a lever, doesn´t matter

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

What is this with these audiophile forums ?
One person bombards me with horns , the other with non variable speeds . :)

As taken from the German Telefunken M 15 manual .
For those of you who dont speak german :
Umspulgeschwindigkeit in beiden richtungen stufenlos einstellbar .

Stufenlos means stepless in english

Attachments

• M 15  .gif
    M 15 .gif
    381.4 KB · Views: 2

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
It does not take much to look at the schematics. It is a seven-position switch. Neutral in the middle, three to the left, three to the right, as has been already shown here.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Smartly, they used a make-before-break switch, so the transitions are smooth, but you can still feel them.

But if the paper says "stepless" - what do we know? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing