Adjusting screw tightness on Esoteric K1X helps a lot!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
If the disc tray is silver, like my old x-01, then covering with black self adhesive felt or vinyl will improve sound quality.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
If the disc tray is silver, like my old x-01, then covering with black self adhesive felt or vinyl will improve sound quality.
Maybe paint it with the blackest paint in the world?
It's probably aluminium, so it might not stick, though.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
You're right, but it might flake off when CD is being put on it:
"Due to the powdery light absorption layer, the strength of the coating is very low, so glossing and peeling of the coating will occur even with light contact. The painted object may shrink and crack."

But not easily reversible :(
Right, the tape is much easier to be cleaned up. It's really down to how hard you want to go on your CD player. Still, painting CD tray is not as intrusive as replacing an opamp :)

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
OPA627 is an excellent FET input device, thus it has a very low input current. How are you seeing it as a benefit in this application? Is the DAC output or feedback resistors high impedance?
The biggest pro of discrete opamps is a two-pole compensation, which is impossible to do in an IC. Two-pole compensation allows the opamp to have much more feedback at high frequencies (say 10k+), offering better distortion reduction. Sparkos has an excellent blog post about it, I believe, you'll love it: https://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/audio-op-amps-gain-seek-bandwidth/
He makes excellent opamps too.

As for sockets, you are absolutely right. They add inductance and physical distance to the decoupling capacitors. It has the biggest effect on power supplies. Most discrete opamps have their own decoupling on board, so it's not that big of an issue.

I'm very curious to hear from you about that. It's a very interesting discussion!
Yes, you are right, an endless and super interesting field. A bit like cooking for different tastes. But we can agree that the NE5534 is best to be exchanged, and that it can be easily done. So I personally dont fear warranty problems and never had one.
And you are right also with the importance of the capacitors for the OP amp supply. Thank you for your feedback!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Yes, you are right, an endless and super interesting field. A bit like cooking for different tastes. But we can agree that the NE5534 is best to be exchanged, and that it can be easily done. So I personally dont fear warranty problems and never had one.
And you are right also with the importance of the capacitors for the OP amp supply. Thank you for your feedback!
NE5534 is a great part, but its contemporary counterparts are way better.
OPA627 is miles better. I was surprised to see it's still available at big distributors, like Mouser. Do you know any other JFET opamp that is as good?
In our products, like iDSD NEO we use opamps developed for us. They are called OV2637A and OV4627A, which you can see here. What a coincidence, huh? ;)

Reactions: diaZ

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
Hi! Fine to meet someone who is also heavily engaged in audiophile parts. Obviously you know more about available OPamps than me.
Are you a part of the R&D team of ifi audio?
Yes,, I order from Mouser, parts come direct from Texas. OPA627 has laser trimmed input resistors for the ultra low Ib.
This is important in filter design for minimal load of the 12 dB RC filters Esoteric is using. The OPA 627 is selected in specs and the BP grade is better than the AP grade.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hi! Fine to meet someone who is also heavily engaged in audiophile parts. Obviously you know more about available OPamps than me.
Are you a part of the R&D team of ifi audio?
Yes,, I order from Mouser, parts come direct from Texas. OPA627 has laser trimmed input resistors for the ultra low Ib.
This is important in filter design for minimal load of the 12 dB RC filters Esoteric is using. The OPA 627 is selected in specs and the BP grade is better than the AP grade.
I'm not from RnD, I just know a thing or two about electronics :) I believe that you can use a bipolar input opamp in this place without the fear of disrupting the filters (which is what Esoteric did). We can do simple guesswork about the filter. This is a low-noise circuit, which implies the filter must have a low impedance to avoid Johnson (thermal) noise.
I'm expecting the resistive part of the filter to be in the realm of 1-3 kOhms. It's a good compromise between loading the previous stage and low noise. Comparing the filter's impedance of single kiloohms to the input impedance of JFET (<1 GOhm) and bipolar (<1 MOhm) opamps, we can see it's can't affect the filter's performance.
A bipolar opamp might be slightly preferred in this place because it works better with low impedance sources. that doesn't mean that OPA627 can't sound incredible in this place.

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
Hello AMR / iFi audio,
It is a two stage 12 dB Filter with 1.8kOhm and 470 pF followed by 5.6kOhm with 100 pF, Feedback resistor is 2,4kOhm, so the gain is a little over 1, perfect for OPA627.
Im sorry, Im not engaged in physical theory of OP amps and dont know much about it. So I depend on what I can hear, and for my personal individual taste the OPA627 is the best I ever had in filter stages.
And maybe Im adapted too much to this sound that I know so good, that Im spoiled for testing further OPamps.
My point was for the K-03XD owners to think about replacing the NE5534. And for the OPA627 I know it is worth to be done.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello AMR / iFi audio,
It is a two stage 12 dB Filter with 1.8kOhm and 470 pF followed by 5.6kOhm with 100 pF, Feedback resistor is 2,4kOhm, so the gain is a little over 1, perfect for OPA627.
Im sorry, Im not engaged in physical theory of OP amps and dont know much about it. So I depend on what I can hear, and for my personal individual taste the OPA627 is the best I ever had in filter stages.
And maybe Im adapted too much to this sound that I know so good, that Im spoiled for testing further OPamps.
My point was for the K-03XD owners to think about replacing the NE5534. And for the OPA627 I know it is worth to be done.
The most important thing is that you are sharing your experience with the community :) Modding is often a good way to improve specific devices if you are okay with losing your warranty. That's always a tradeoff. Alternatively, some folks wait until the end of the warranty period, before moding.

Reactions: diaZ

Notdead

May 8, 2023
Hello AMR / iFi audio,
I'm new to WBF and I recently found this thread which is very interesting to me as I own a K03XD. I have been able to experiment with opamps before with my former ASR Emitter II and the improvement was noticeable. Having little technical skills, I am a bit reluctant to handle the device but based on your appreciation of the improvement with the replacement of the NE5534, I am determined to give it a try.
I understand that you must unscrew the four screws on each side and that allows you to remove the cover and then access to the opamp is done easily. I am right?
I appreciate any comments that help me perform the operation.

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
I'm new to WBF and I recently found this thread which is very interesting to me as I own a K03XD. I have been able to experiment with opamps before with my former ASR Emitter II and the improvement was noticeable. Having little technical skills, I am a bit reluctant to handle the device but based on your appreciation of the improvement with the replacement of the NE5534, I am determined to give it a try.
I understand that you must unscrew the four screws on each side and that allows you to remove the cover and then access to the opamp is done easily. I am right?
I appreciate any comments that help me perform the operation.
Hello Notdead,
yes, you have to take out the pcb and replace the smd opamp with a Muses 03 four times in total.

Be sure before soldering the opamp that the orientation is correct.
Attention: if the pcb fixing screws are all out, you can easily pull with no force the connector to the side.
The K-01XD has at the exact same position this opamp. For my personal taste I like the OPA 627 more.
Please tell us about your progress.

Notdead

May 8, 2023
Hello Notdead,
yes, you have to take out the pcb and replace the smd opamp with a Muses 03 four times in total.

Be sure before soldering the opamp that the orientation is correct.
Attention: if the pcb fixing screws are all out, you can easily pull with no force the connector to the side.
The K-01XD has at the exact same position this opamp. For my personal taste I like the OPA 627 more.
Please tell us about your progress.
Hello diaZ, many thanks. I really appreciate your answer.
Dealing with the PCB is something that I didn't expect to do .
Probably I will require some friend's support.
If it happens, I'll post my progress.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Hello diaZ, many thanks. I really appreciate your answer.
Dealing with the PCB is something that I didn't expect to do .
Probably I will require some friend's support.
If it happens, I'll post my progress.
Best shot is to contact an electronics service shop, or smartphone/laptop repair shop. They'll have the proper tools and skills. Reworking SMD components is not easy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing