Advice needed regarding Magico ACC and home theater setup.

skorph

Jan 19, 2023
I recently moved and my little 2 channel setup has been moved to a basement which is in need of a TV. The current setup is as follows:

Magico A3
dCS Bartok
Luxman c700u/m700u

I am adding a TV and integrating parts from my old surround sound system to make a 2 channel / surround sound hybrid system. I have ordered a Magico ACC and Sony 85 inch TV and am now debating processor/amps to drive the speakers. It will become a 7.2 surround system. I have two REL T7i's for subs and four Totem Tribe 1's for on wall sides and rear.

My initial plan was to buy an Anthem MRX 540 and then us it as a pre-amp -> Luxman c700u/m700u (bypassing the c700u) for the Magico A3's, and initially use it to drive the ACC but search for and buy another amp for center as I would probably be disappointed in this setup. I would then use the rest of the receiver amps to drive the Totems.

Another idea I had was to buy a AV processor (or just use the MRX540) and a multi channel amp. This is where I'm stuck. What multi channel amp would pair well with the Magico ACC and integrate well with my current Luxman setup? I would just need a 5 channel amp.

I'm really not interested in spending a huge amount of money on a processor especially given how fast video standards update. The system isn't a dedicated home theater it is a multi purpose room with a nice surround system in it.

Can anyone with an ACC as their center comment on how they are driving it and what AV processor you are using? Thanks.

Also could you comment on what center channel stand you are using? The ACC It won't fit on top of my current rack without blocking the TV. I need someting really sturdy because I have two kids and don't want a 97 pound speaker to fall on them if they do something stupid around it.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
I recently moved and my little 2 channel setup has been moved to a basement which is in need of a TV. The current setup is as follows:

Magico A3
dCS Bartok
Luxman c700u/m700u

I am adding a TV and integrating parts from my old surround sound system to make a 2 channel / surround sound hybrid system. I have ordered a Magico ACC and Sony 85 inch TV and am now debating processor/amps to drive the speakers. It will become a 7.2 surround system. I have two REL T7i's for subs and four Totem Tribe 1's for on wall sides and rear.

My initial plan was to buy an Anthem MRX 540 and then us it as a pre-amp -> Luxman c700u/m700u (bypassing the c700u) for the Magico A3's, and initially use it to drive the ACC but search for and buy another amp for center as I would probably be disappointed in this setup. I would then use the rest of the receiver amps to drive the Totems.

I went with an AVP. Sound quality with the amp is usually more of a problem with high noise than with distortion, as we are visually distracted.

Another idea I had was to buy a AV processor (or just use the MRX540) and a multi channel amp. This is where I'm stuck. What multi channel amp would pair well with the Magico ACC and integrate well with my current Luxman setup? I would just need a 5 channel amp.

Just about any amp would do. I am running a stereo amp for L/R. A center channel amp.
And XLRs to the rear set and another stereo amp there.
It is sometimes easier to bring the mountain to Mohammad with balanced XLRs feed an amp, than running speaker cables a long way….

I'm really not interested in spending a huge amount of money on a processor especially given how fast video standards update. The system isn't a dedicated home theater it is a multi purpose room with a nice surround system in it.

we differ here as I got a nice processor and some pretty cheap amps.

Can anyone with an ACC as their center comment on how they are driving it and what AV processor you are using? Thanks.

Also could you comment on what center channel stand you are using? The ACC It won't fit on top of my current rack without blocking the TV. I need someting really sturdy because I have two kids and don't want a 97 pound speaker to fall on them if they do something stupid around it.

If it is just for 1 or 2 people then I have found a 4. or a 6. can be pretty good.
But “kids” indicates more than 1 or 2 people.

I do not have an ACC. But as to how the totems and ACC together, one could ensure that they do not null out around the XO with the phase doing potentially different things. Running a totem and an A3 as a mismatched stereo pair test, could inform you if it seems dire. Any phase mismatch will result in a bug suck out in that frequency band. however a lot of the HT is hard panned and the center channel gets the lions share, so in many cases the mismatched phase can not be a problem during the majority of the sound track.

Still I would focus on speakers first, then AVP and subs, then amp(s).
But no matter which way you go the family wlll likely enjoy it.

Reactions: skorph

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia

Magico A3
dCS Bartok
Luxman c700u/m700u

i dont have ACC but use the SCC...... in my experience the amplifier for the centre channel is possibly the most important link in ur chain. 90% of HT is centre channel. I started with Bel Canto ref 600m across all front channels and ultimately decided i could hear the class D. I moved to an Audia Flight stereo amp and it was the most significant improvement ive made to my HT ( the Funk Subwoofer was also quite significant). The increase in clarity and naturalness of spoken voices cant be underestimated.

so my advice is dont skimp on any part the centre channel chain.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
i dont have ACC but use the SCC...... in my experience the amplifier for the centre channel is possibly the most important link in ur chain. 90% of HT is centre channel.

But with a system without the Center channel then that is routed L/R.

I started with Bel Canto ref 600m across all front channels and ultimately decided i could hear the class D. I moved to an Audia Flight stereo amp and it was the most significant improvement ive made to my HT ( the Funk Subwoofer was also quite significant). The increase in clarity and naturalness of spoken voices cant be underestimated.

4.2.4 and 6.4.4. systems are a thing.
And when the L/R speakers are good, and there are 1 or 2 people watching, then the reason for having a center channel is diminished.
It is also diminished should the center channel not be good, and some of those wide WMTMW actually do not throw a very wide pattern.
it is easier To get a mediocre center channel, and one needs to try harder to find a good one.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
But with a system without the Center channel then that is routed L/R.

4.2.4 and 6.4.4. systems are a thing.
And when the L/R speakers are good, and there are 1 or 2 people watching, then the reason for having a center channel is diminished.
It is also diminished should the center channel not be good, and some of those wide WMTMW actually do not throw a very wide pattern.
it is easier To get a mediocre center channel, and one needs to try harder to find a good one.
When I referred to the SCC I was refereeing to the Magico S series center channel.

skorph

Jan 19, 2023
i dont have ACC but use the SCC...... in my experience the amplifier for the centre channel is possibly the most important link in ur chain. 90% of HT is centre channel. I started with Bel Canto ref 600m across all front channels and ultimately decided i could hear the class D. I moved to an Audia Flight stereo amp and it was the most significant improvement ive made to my HT ( the Funk Subwoofer was also quite significant). The increase in clarity and naturalness of spoken voices cant be underestimated.

Did you demo many amps before you landed on your Audia Flight? I was wondering which multi channel amps that could do the job as well as my Luxman does. I need a 5 channel amp. Otherwise, I could get a stereo amp for the center channel (another Luxman). And another less important (cheaper) multi channel amp for the side and rear speakers but it seems like I'd be adding a lot of amps to my rack.... Not to mention the additional power conditioners I would need.

Thanks for your input

skorph

Jan 19, 2023
I went with an AVP. Sound quality with the amp is usually more of a problem with high noise than with distortion, as we are visually distracted.

Just about any amp would do. I am running a stereo amp for L/R. A center channel amp.
And XLRs to the rear set and another stereo amp there.
It is sometimes easier to bring the mountain to Mohammad with balanced XLRs feed an amp, than running speaker cables a long way….

we differ here as I got a nice processor and some pretty cheap amps.

If it is just for 1 or 2 people then I have found a 4. or a 6. can be pretty good.
But “kids” indicates more than 1 or 2 people.

I do not have an ACC. But as to how the totems and ACC together, one could ensure that they do not null out around the XO with the phase doing potentially different things. Running a totem and an A3 as a mismatched stereo pair test, could inform you if it seems dire. Any phase mismatch will result in a bug suck out in that frequency band. however a lot of the HT is hard panned and the center channel gets the lions share, so in many cases the mismatched phase can not be a problem during the majority of the sound track.

Still I would focus on speakers first, then AVP and subs, then amp(s).
But no matter which way you go the family wlll likely enjoy it.
I think a agree. The AVP needs to be good. Otherwise I'll be switching from my dCS two channel to a significantly downgraded signal path and this will annoy resulting in more shopping.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Did you demo many amps before you landed on your Audia Flight? I was wondering which multi channel amps that could do the job as well as my Luxman does. I need a 5 channel amp. Otherwise, I could get a stereo amp for the center channel (another Luxman). And another less important (cheaper) multi channel amp for the side and rear speakers but it seems like I'd be adding a lot of amps to my rack.... Not to mention the additional power conditioners I would need.

Thanks for your input
yes ive had a quite a few amps in that position. I only use a single channel of that stereo amp for the centre channel.

I use at ATI 8 channel amp for all the other channels. It really makes very little difference for the other channels as they are, most of the time just for effects.

skorph

Jan 19, 2023
yes ive had a quite a few amps in that position. I only use a single channel of that stereo amp for the centre channel.

I use at ATI 8 channel amp for all the other channels. It really makes very little difference for the other channels as they are, most of the time just for effects.
What AV processor are you using? if you don't mind me asking.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
I think a agree. The AVP needs to be good.
I am running a Lyngdorf and it seems to be work well.
And it does the mic calibration as they seem to do, so it is easy and largely smoother than the 2–channel in the room mode range.

Otherwise I'll be switching from my dCS two channel to a significantly downgraded signal path and this will annoy resulting in more shopping.

Yeah it is kind of a mess to sort out, and worse in a combined s 2-channel and HT.
And there are not a lot of places near us that deal in this stuff.

Luckily the OLED sound was not easy to make out the dialogue and the Haus-Boss and I looked at a sound bar.
(It was so bad she literally took a step backwards at the shrill sound.)
And I was told to make it right.

So I collected a few speakers that mate with the two channel, and the preamp has a pass-through for HT.
Hence the sigbal oath for the LF/RF are via two channel.
The center channel honest sounds good on the Class-D to the good ear ;)
(And the Haus-Boss gives the nod… plus we do not need to turn on tubes for the center and the surround, so it is easy, and another nod of approval.)

I basically got the cheap Class-D to get everything running until I could figure out amps… but IMO, the speakers and AVP are more of the heart of it, if that is not right then it is not going likely to be cured with an amp.
If the center and surrounds do not play well with the LF/RF then all bets are off.
Hence I no immediate plans to change the center and surround amps.
(And also considering at least trying a 4.4.2 to see if the center is better in or out of the mix.)

The two channel side and subs still have work, and the cabinet for the gear as well. So plenty remaining to be done. (Including XLR cable runs in a 100 year old house.)

A lot of moving parts in a combined system, and add in the WAF’s Feng Shui and it provides some challenge, and lot to sort through.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
When I referred to the SCC I was refereeing to the Magico S series center channel.

^Yep - I saw that^, so it should be well matched.
I have not heard that center, but I would assume it should be just dandy.
Without a center by the same maufacturer it get dicey quick.

The OP did mentioned kids, so a center channel makes sense with 4+ listeners.

And the point was that a 4.x or 6.x can be as good, or better… especially if the LF/RF are better than the center, and it is only 1 or 2 people. This is not generally stated as center channels are pushed hard.

skorph

Jan 19, 2023
started with marantz then went to cary now back to Marantz 8805...... but looking to move to either Storm, Data Sat or Trinnov
My dealer recommended an Acurus MUSE. I've done some searching and found some very good reviews. People seem to place it somewhere between an Anthem AVP and a Trinnov... Closer to the Trinnov which based on the price at $8200 is where it should be.

skorph

Jan 19, 2023
Luckily the OLED sound was not easy to make out the dialogue and the Haus-Boss and I looked at a sound bar.
(It was so bad she literally took a step backwards at the shrill sound.)
And I was told to make it right.
This made me laugh. My manager doesn't notice when something is bad until I upgrade. At first, she doesn't notice the upgrade and questions why I did it saying she can't tell a difference. Then she goes somewhere else and comments on how bad something looks or sounds.

Reactions: Holmz

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
This made me laugh. My manager doesn't notice when something is bad until I upgrade. At first, she doesn't notice the upgrade and questions why I did it saying she can't tell a difference. Then she goes somewhere else and comments on how bad something looks or sounds.

You sound like we could be related, or the managers could be?

I hit the jackpot recently as she likes the feng Shui of the front end pieces, and she likes the sound.
- That later would have been easy to do with anything.
- But that former Feng Shui part, meant I needed silver or sleek, instead of just matt black.

Over the decades the decoder ring indicated that “unsightly”, was as combination of dark gear that was large and usually a matt colour.

Sharok

Aug 11, 2019

Thanks for your input
I use an Anthem P5 (5 channel amp). It is an excellent amplifier I use it with my Martin Logan Speakers for my 5.1 system. It can handle any loads with no problem. The only downside to it is its weight (132 lbs net weight, 152 lbs with the shipping box). I had to send it to Canada to change the relay switches and it was very difficult to move it around and to find a shipping company who would charge a reasonable shipping fee. Other than that, I love this amplifier.

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022

Magico A3
dCS Bartok
Luxman c700u/m700u

Answering your question re ACC amp and processor
I’m running a Bryston 6B SST, three channels, one for the center and other two for surrounds.
6B is rated over 500 watts so is move then enough power for the ACC.
HT runs 80-90% to the center. ACC is a very special center. Same voicing as my A5’s. And has a great low end, which does happen on movies.

Processor - Bryston SP3

Prior to this I had B&W 802N and matching center, HTM1N. That center just could not match the 802N’s. I could always tell the difference. Same amp and processor

Soundrulz

Aug 28, 2022
For those running A5 and ACC in HT mode, what settings are you using for LCR bass cut off?

I’m running LCR set to Large w/o any lower end cut off. All LFE goes to my sub. In this setup, the ACC really shines and produces very low end bass. Male vocals are amazing . Of course the A5’s are very happy in this configuration.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
Hi, i am moving into a new house in a few weeks and would like to install a 'simple' home audio system. I dont know much about this sort of thing and so any help would be appreciated.

The house is not complete yet and so while the wiring is going on i want to take this oppertunity to install any necesary audio wiring while i have the chance.

In my living room i will be running speaker wire to my 5.1 surround sound system straight from the dvd player. I would like to add 5 or 6 other speakers in different rooms to this system which i can use to play music throughout the house when people come round and for parties etc...

Questions...
1. How would i go about adding speakers to my system, would i need an amplifier and how would i go about wiring them...?

2. Is there an easy way to control the volume of each speaker seperately For example could i have quiet background music across the house but louder in the living room?

3. If i wanted to control the music from anywhere in the house how would i go about doing this? Would an IR to RF to IR range extender be sufficient to work across two floors?

4. If i want to change the audio source is this easily done? For example if i wanted to change my input from a cd player to the TV audio can i just unplug the CD player from the amp and Plug in the TV audio output or is it not that simple?

Apologies if for any obvious questions but this is all new to me.
Any help would be much appreciated

Running conduits between the “control center” and the speakers allows one to run cables later.
a lot of time people just like to staple wires to studs, which is not really as useful as a conduit to pull them through later.

^That^ said… if you are unsure then you may need a professional/.

Questions...
1. How would i go about adding speakers to my system, would i need an amplifier and how would i go about wiring them...?

Probably pulling though RCA, or balanced wires… and putting an amp at the speaker.
But in say that main room, the they could run speaker wires from an AVR.

4. If i want to change the audio source is this easily done? For example if i wanted to change my input from a cd player to the TV audio can i just unplug the CD player from the amp and Plug in the TV audio output or is it not that simple?

Most people would plug that into the AVR/AVP or plug all the sources into a preamp… and use that to select the source.
Almost no one would plug a CD player into an amp directly, and they would use a preamp to control the volume.

Again if you have no idea, then just run a conduit, and the appropriate wires can be pulled through post facto.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing