AF3 Premium arrived

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Hi Gian,

congratulations!! :)

Please have also a look at your private conversations here at wbf ;) Thanks!!

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Wow, what a collection of fine tables you have now. Please let us know how things stack up and perform. This is one table I am interested in as I will never find a Micro.

I will have to check the pricing out in N/A,

Congratulations!

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Congratulation, my AF3P is still in transport, hope to receive the turntable soon, that we can share our "best practices"

Reactions: bonzo75

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi G

Enjoy comparing hold down off vs on. I think you will find the consistency of performance between LPs when having your records flat most interesting :D

Congrats!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Gian! Very exciting! :)

You will be the only owner I know of using the fantastic Superarm 9 on an AF3P!

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Congrats Gian!
I hope my AF3P also arrives one of these days, i ordered it more than 6 months ago.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I bought also the tungsten clamp
I listen AF3P in show trying with and without and with has little more natural sound and more body
A very small doubt seems midhigh little less transparent but need to try well

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Gian,

Congrats. What are the main improvements of the Premium AF3 over the standard model?

Enjoy!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
The AF3 has a platter that weight 9 kg while the platter of the Premium weight 29 kg and has 2 pump like AF1 P,the motor is more strong and the feet are better quality plus other more things but mainly platter is in composite with the weight of 29 kg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I bought also the tungsten clamp
I listen AF3P in show trying with and without and with has little more natural sound and more body
A very small doubt seems midhigh little less transparent but need to try well

Dear Gian,

You have all the marvelous tts. We also have a collection of carts that is pretty much the same. May I suggest you try to return that expensive clamp and get a refund. All it does is add color in one region and take away some. You know very well you can get body from the right cart. Let the cart do the job without adding. If you really want to add weight I will send you the Dalby for Christmas gift. But dont pay for the special clamp.

Kind regards,
Tang

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Dear Gian,
You have all the marvelous tts. We also have a collection of carts that is pretty much the same. May I suggest you try to return that expensive clamp and get a refund. All it does is add color in one region and take away some. You know very well you can get body from the right cart. Let the cart do the job without adding. If you really want to add weight I will send you the Dalby for Christmas gift. But dont pay for the special clamp.
Kind regards,
Tang

Agree with Tango.
The new AF3P has enough "more body" than the past AF3.
IMHO the Tungsten clamp further increases the bass and lower midrange. The sound becomes too rich and losses naturalness & agility.

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Today in the morning I was happy to see DB Schenker coming , delivering the 2 boxes of the AF3P :)

It took me some hours of relaxed fitting to get the first music out of the AF3P, it took so long, as I enjoyed every minute of assembling the perfect Japanese "machina".

I placed the AF3P on my Accurion I4large active base, which is also cover plate damped by some HRS Nimbus dampers.

The new 2 circuit pump is placed on a separate rack to avoid any vibration to the AF3P.

The AF3P was shipped with a 12' SME tonearm base, so my SME 3012R has the fortune to take place on an original TechDAS tonearmbase. I ordered also a 12' Ikeda Base, but this one will ship later November. So I tried the original Micro Seiki GunMetal Tonarmbases. And to my pleasure, they fit perfectly.

So I was able to fit my beloved Fidelity Research FR62 S silver cable version as well. The FR 64s is with the B60 lifter , so a very heavy base.

I left both arms with their fitted Carts, an Ortofon SPU on SME 3012R and the FR 702 (latest EU Version of FR7z) on FR64s.

Without doing any fine tuning, fine adjustments the functional check already shows, that the AF3P plays on a very high level with a lot of resolution.

I will spend the weekend to add an Ikeda 407 an to do the final fitting of Carts.

Attachments

• IMG_8257.jpg
    IMG_8257.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_8259.jpg
    IMG_8259.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_8262.JPG
    IMG_8262.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_8261.JPG
    IMG_8261.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 234

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
That is a beautiful table congratulations! - I am very interested in your impressions with the FR64s. I just assembled an FR64s,B60 and FR7f myself and I am excited to hear from you on your combination.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Congrats Shakti! It looks very good on that base. What is that little wooden box next to it?
I hope i got mine next week, looking forward seeing all this.
Funny i have ordered it with an Ikeda 12"base and have also some older AX4 Micro-Seiki tonarmbases for using with SME 3012R and another for AS Axiom. I hoped it would fit but it seems it does, thanks.

Reactions: shakti

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
That is a beautiful table congratulations! - I am very interested in your impressions with the FR64s. I just assembled an FR64s,B60 and FR7f myself and I am excited to hear from you on your combination.

The complete FR set up is in my ears still on the top of the range, I use the FR xf-1 low step up transformer with my FR7 carts.
http://liquidaudio.com.au/fidelity-research-xf-1-step-up-transformer-review/

There are big differences between the different FR7 / FR702 versions.

I will find out, if the FR 64s still prefer the heavy gunmetal bases from Micro Seiki, or if the AF3P bases are better, due to the new fixing.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
The original Micro Seiki Bases (one fixing version) should work.
Some of my free aftermarket counterparts do not fit!
It seems, that the tolerance of the AF3P fixing is more in the plus, so general fitting is more tight.

The distance between the fixings is a little bit longer, so the 2 fixing bases for (from) Micro Seiki do not fit!

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
The original Micro Seiki Bases (one fixing version) should work.
Some of my free aftermarket counterparts do not fit!
It seems, that the tolerance of the AF3P fixing is more in the plus, so general fitting is more tight.

The distance between the fixings is a little bit longer, so the 2 fixing bases for (from) Micro Seiki do not fit!

Ok thanks for the information!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing