AIR TIGHT ATH-2 Reference SUT

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Anybody have experience with this SUT? I am on the lookout for a SUT. It has three inputs so it seems ideal for multiple tonearms. It also has a good range able to match those very low impedance cartridges like the MSL ones.

Input Selector

? position
?Bypass: without gain, for MM cartridges
?2??(0.6??7?applicable)?gain 29?B
?40??(7??40? applicable)?gain 23?B

Frequency response
10Hz?80?Hz?(-1dB)

Dimensions
240(W)×180(D)×70(H)mm

Weight:
2.8kgs

ath-2a-ref1.jpg

a8723b70c4bffac092319d1649eaa81f.jpg

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
It’s a superb SUT but it is somewhat more sensitive to hum from surrounding components so you have to take more care in placing it.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks. Always wondered whether it made sense getting a general SUT like this or a manufacturer specific one, i.e. MSL SUT for MSL cartridges, Ikeda for Ikeda and Ortofon for Ortofon. I have a Ortofon SPU Century, Ikeda 9GSS and Ortofon Anna that i might need boosting.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Thanks. Always wondered whether it made sense getting a general SUT like this or a manufacturer specific one, i.e. MSL SUT for MSL cartridges, Ikeda for Ikeda and Ortofon for Ortofon. I have a Ortofon SPU Century, Ikeda 9GSS and Ortofon Anna that i might need boosting.

A specific brand SUT for the same brand cartridge is nothing more than marketing hype. The Air Tight SUT will accommodate any cartridge on the planet.

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Multiple inputs would be nice so i don't need to buy several although i don't mind if they're not extravagantly priced. The Ortofon SPU, Ikeda 9GSS are both quite low impedance cartridges. I intend to add a MSL gold/Platinum some stage in the future (although i already have the MSL SUT) which is low impedance too. I know SUTs is a bit of a minefield so just trying to shortlist some brands worth considering...or excluding ones that i should not consider might be a good place to start.

Let's take the Ortofon SPU Century for starters...any suggestions?

Reactions: jeff1225

UEM

Dec 26, 2017
Waedenswil, near Zuerich, Switzerland
Howiebrou,

I'm very happy with mine (frankly I'm unsure whether I've got the "reference" version, though).

Works well with Very Low Output cartridges, such SPU Century, KOETSU Platinum Generators, the IKEDA Mono and since a few days even with an EMT shellac cartridge. ;)

The “Bypass” (Direct Input) additionally allows to connect an MM cartridge to the MM RIAA Phono Stage

I admit, I have no experience with other "high-end" SUT's

Regards

Urs

Reactions: howiebrou

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Multiple inputs would be nice so i don't need to buy several although i don't mind if they're not extravagantly priced. The Ortofon SPU, Ikeda 9GSS are both quite low impedance cartridges. I intend to add a MSL gold/Platinum some stage in the future (although i already have the MSL SUT) which is low impedance too. I know SUTs is a bit of a minefield so just trying to shortlist some brands worth considering...or excluding ones that i should not consider might be a good place to start.

Let's take the Ortofon SPU Century for starters...any suggestions?

If one has multiple carts, it’s very convenient to have more than one impedance input setting. For performance and cost I very much like the EAR MC-4, though inputs are not switchable. One reason I use the Air Tight is its Bypass mode which makes it super convenient to use my high output SPU Mono GM MkII when I’m not playing my other SPUs.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Anybody have experience with this SUT? I am on the lookout for a SUT. It has three inputs so it seems ideal for multiple tonearms. It also has a good range able to match those very low impedance cartridges like the MSL ones.

Input Selector

? position
?Bypass: without gain, for MM cartridges
?2??(0.6??7?applicable)?gain 29?B
?40??(7??40? applicable)?gain 23?B

Frequency response
10Hz?80?Hz?(-1dB)

Dimensions
240(W)×180(D)×70(H)mm

Weight:
2.8kgs

View attachment 59446

View attachment 59447
Howie,

I have this box sitting idle. If you want to try, send me your address. If you like, you buy at your price, if you don't, send it back to me ;).

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Uk Paul and bazelio

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie,

I have this box sitting idle. If you want to try, send me your address. If you like, you buy at your price, if you don't, send it back to me ;).

Kind regards,
Tang

That is incredibly kind of you Tang. Will send you a PM.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howiebrou,

I'm very happy with mine (frankly I'm unsure whether I've got the "reference" version, though).

Works well with Very Low Output cartridges, such SPU Century, KOETSU Platinum Generators, the IKEDA Mono and since a few days even with an EMT shellac cartridge. ;)

The “Bypass” (Direct Input) additionally allows to connect an MM cartridge to the MM RIAA Phono Stage

I admit, I have no experience with other "high-end" SUT's

Regards

Urs

Thanks Urs. I was not even aware that there might be more than one version. Air Tight's website seems to only have one.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I highly recommend the Emia MC Trio with silver windings. Dave can provide any combination of winding resistance you need to match with your carts.

http://myemia.com/Trio.html

I own the single silver, along with @mountainjoe and @brencho . @jjaudio has the Trio.
Thanks. Will check them out. It seems as though the world of SUTs is even more wild than cables!

Do I need a special phono cable from my SUT to phono amp with ground or can a normal pair of rca cables work just as well?

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Thanks. Will check them out. It seems as though the world of SUTs is even more wild than cables!

Do I need a special phono cable from my SUT to phono amp with ground or can a normal pair of rca cables work just as well?
Not just any cable. This is a sensitive position. Best to have minimum length, preferably less than one meter, with low capacitance.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Not just any cable. This is a sensitive position. Best to have minimum length, preferably less than one meter, with low capacitance.

Thanks. Would the test to see whether this is needed be whether hum is induced?

Right now my Ikeda tonearm cable is going to the MSL SUT but i have a normal pair of rca cables going from the sut to my phono amp.

There is no hum that i can detect but from what you are saying i might get a jump in performance with a low capacitance short phono cable (presumably with ground as well)?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
No that's not the test. A simple shielded silver cable can work, but the phono cable includes the ground wire with spade connectors. I eventually found that disconnecting the ground cable between the SUT and the phono worked best in my system. Hum is usually a ground potential bugaboo in the system, if your cables are shielded.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing