Alexx V arrive in NJ

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
4 months after ordering, the Alexx V speakers arrived in my home yesterday. My Alexandria S2's departed with some tears after arriving on October 2016 and providing countless hours of musical pleasure. I'm looking forward to the same joy from the new speakers .

both.jpeg

L.jpg . R.jpg

IMG_3186 copy.jpeg
Fabio and Marcel from Alma Audio had the yeoman task of crating the Alexandrias and installing the Alexx V and they did a great job. However, neither may walk normally again for about a week.

Last edited:

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
4 months after ordering, the Alexx V arrived in my home yesterdaay. My Alexandria S2's departed with some tears after arriving on October 2016 and providing countless hours of musical pleasure. I'm looking forward to the same joy from the new speakers .

View attachment 78154

View attachment 78155 . View attachment 78156

View attachment 78158
Fabio and Marcel from Alma Audio had the yeoman task of crating the Alexandrias and installing the Alexx V and they did a great job. However, neither may walk normally again for about a week.
Superb!

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I like the look of the Alexx V's much more than the Alexandria S2's. I would be surprised if they do not continue to improve over the next several hundred hours to exceed the Alexandria's.

Congratulations

Reactions: matakana

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
They look size appropriate for the room. Now you just need three more for the surrounds.

• Haha
Reactions: marty

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
4 months after ordering, the Alexx V arrived in my home yesterdaay. My Alexandria S2's departed with some tears after arriving on October 2016 and providing countless hours of musical pleasure. I'm looking forward to the same joy from the new speakers .

View attachment 78154

View attachment 78155 . View attachment 78156

View attachment 78158
Congrats Marty! Is this the same listening room from when I visited you? I don't remember the tv, console and the cabinet on the left next to the equipment rack.

david

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Congrats Marty! Is this the same listening room from when I visited you? I don't remember the tv, console and the cabinet on the left next to the equipment rack.

david

Of course you don't remember those things, but they were there. You were too busy ripping me a new a-hole for having a DSP based Pipedreams system. :p But I've since been reformed!! Seriously, I remember it well because you convinced me the line power of the ASR phono sounded better than the battery supply, which I would have never appreciated otherwise since it is counter intuitive.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Marty, they are great sounding speakers. Elucidate me, are you still using the CR-1 crossover with the Gothan's?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Same spot(s) it seems as the last speakers
Spoke To Bill Pugh during the installation. He thinks the position of the Alexx V will be close to the Alexandria (since the room is the main determinant) but not necessarily identical. So no need for fine tuning until after full break-in.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Congratulations Marty, they are great sounding speakers. Elucidate me, are you still using the CR-1 crossover with the Gothan's?
Francisco, I abandoned the CR-1 years ago. I could never get past the degradation it caused to the mains. I ran the Alexandrias full range and will do the same for the Alexx V. I use a 2nd set of preamp outputs to the subs and dial them in at about about as low as they will allow (estimated crossover point 25-28Hz.). The subs are presently disconnected during break-in. My hope is that I won't need them at all. But if I do, one advantage of the Alexx V (like the XLF) is that I can rear-port which hopefully will allow a better mating with the JL Gotham's (or any) acoustic suspension subs. Adding subs of another brand to any speaker running full range is always contentious. Hopefully, avoiding the inherent LF phase issues with a front-ported main system will facilitate the pairing if I choose to go that route.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Congrats, Marty, they look great (and I'm sure sound great too!)

carl13

Feb 6, 2020
Congrats, Marty, along way from your old TacT/Pipedreams system. I'll forward a picture to Anthony and Dan.;-)

PS- did they come with the new Acoustic Diodes?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Wow congrats! I thought you'd said the Alexandrias would be your retirement speakers. Nonetheless, beautiful!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Congrats, Marty, along way from your old TacT/Pipedreams system. I'll forward a picture to Anthony and Dan.;-)

PS- did they come with the new Acoustic Diodes?
Surprised you remember! It's a long way from a lot of speakers I have owned from the Dynacos to the original Advents to Magneplanars, to original Heil AMTs, to Dahlquist, several Acoustats, several Martin Logan, Spendors and a few others including the first pair of Wilson's I bought from Steve Williams more years ago than I care to remember (it's how we met)!

I lost track of Anthony years ago and hope he is well.

Yes, they have the acoustic diodes. Can''t say much about them other than they have thicker posts than the old diodes (which is nice).

Last edited:

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have known Marty since the advents and super tweeters in his college dorm room. I must say I have watched tweak so many systems, including and home made hybrid with Acoustat panell super tweeter configuration held together via PVC piping. I have no doubt these will end be his best sounding system yet, and possibly, his final system, just possibly.

Reactions: bonzo75

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Who says you only have to retire once?

Reactions: dan31 and ack

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, I abandoned the CR-1 years ago. I could never get past the degradation it caused to the mains. I ran the Alexandrias full range and will do the same for the Alexx V. I use a 2nd set of preamp outputs to the subs and dial them in at about about as low as they will allow (estimated crossover point 25-28Hz.). The subs are presently disconnected during break-in. My hope is that I won't need them at all. But if I do, one advantage of the Alexx V (like the XLF) is that I can rear-port which hopefully will allow a better mating with the JL Gotham's (or any) acoustic suspension subs. Adding subs of another brand to any speaker running full range is always contentious. Hopefully, avoiding the inherent LF phase issues with a front-ported main system will facilitate the pairing if I choose to go that route.

I used the CR1 only in the bass with success, running the XLF's full range. However when I managed to get two Wilson Audio Watch subwoofer controllers I sold it and got the Watchdog passive subs.

My bet is that you will keep the Gothams :cool: - I found that the Alexx V is an overall better speaker than the Alexandria in most aspects, except in bass depth and you have a large space. The switchable port is indeed a great help in sub set up.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Very very nice. Congratulations!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You should know never to believe an audiophile when they say things like that. :cool:
Indeed. We are such big liars, much like spectral and their product promises

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and dan31

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing