All-in-One or All-in-Two?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I'm looking for something similar for Tidal streaming. So far tried Naim NSC222, lousy via Tidal Connect, better via UPNP but fatiguing. Hifi Rose 150B, Roon better than Tidal Connect but ultimately uninspiring. Cambridge Edge NQ, only tried Tidal Connect which I think may not be the best SQ so will revisit.
Your comments highlight the problem of finding a streamer that offers a really good and intuitive user interface. Roon is one option but there's a subscription and often extra hardware involved, so I'd prefer to look at brands that take the trouble to include a first-class control app that's available for all 4 standard platforms. Perhaps you haven't discovered BluOS that's an exceptional app developed by the Bluesound / NAD group. It's now being licensed to other brands such as Cyrus. Monitor Audio, Roksan, etc. Hopefully others will follow.

10 or so years ago I was looking to replace my ageing Sonos streamer and auditioned streamers from Linn, Naim and others, but none offered the control flexibility or features that Sonos did. It wasn't until I discovered the NAD Master Series devices that I jumped from the outdated Sonos ship. No regrets and I've not found any streamer where the app offers the sort of features that BluOS does.

I have the excellent M33 that offers streaming services from Tidal, Qobuz and all the other services, plus the world's radio stations via TuneIn and other good music sources such as Radio Paradise.

NAD is still considered by some sniffy audiophiles as "mid-fi" but the Master Series will match just about anything else at up to about 3 times the price for sound quality. Perhaps worth visiting a NAD dealer and play around with its BluOS control app.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
But does the Mola Mola include a streamer? Or is there are streamer in the DAC board? Presumably if not, a separate streamer such as Roon Nucleus is required. That brings us back to 3 boxes!
The Auralic Altair G1.1 and G2.1 include everything from streamer to pre-amp. I thought you'd considered Auralic.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
But does the Mola Mola include a streamer? Or is there are streamer in the DAC board? Presumably if not, a separate streamer such as Roon Nucleus is required. That brings us back to 3 boxes!
https://www.mola-mola.nl/makua.php See if the photo gives you audio lust.

The DAC board inside the preamp is Roon Ready. Unfortunately, that isn't software you want to use. If one uses Roon, then one box: streaming/DAC/preamp.

When I first got my Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, I simply plugged in a ethernet cable, connected to Roon and had a streamer/DAC/volume control. The DAC in the Makua preamp is the same as the Tambaqui but uses the power and volume control of the preamp section.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
The Auralic Altair G1.1 and G2.1 include everything from streamer to pre-amp. I thought you'd considered Auralic.
Yes, the Altair G2.1 is one unit I'm considering, although I've been told the app is pretty poor and not available for all platforms, though I've not yet investigated. Thanks

Reactions: ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Yes, the Altair G2.1 is one unit I'm considering, although I've been told the app is pretty poor and not available for all platforms, though I've not yet investigated. Thanks
I used Auralic from 2013 to 2017. I thought the Lightning app was excellent. My recollection is that it was iOS only. Get an iPad!

Android can be a problem as there are lots of different versions, I recall they tried and failed to make an Android app. That's quite common.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I used Auralic from 2013 to 2017. I thought the Lightning app was excellent. My recollection is that it was iOS only. Get an iPad!

Android can be a problem as there are lots of different versions, I recall they tried and failed to make an Android app. That's quite common.
I have an iPad but I never have it in my listening room and I much prefer to use a device with a mouse. Perhaps that's why I've not seriously considered the Auralic route.

I see you use Lumin now. What's its app like? I have the P1 as a possibility but it's rather more money than I'd like to cough up! Thanks

Whereabouts in London are you? Peter

Reactions: ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I have an iPad but I never have it in my listening room and I much prefer to use a device with a mouse. Perhaps that's why I've not seriously considered the Auralic route.

I see you use Lumin now. What's its app like? I have the P1 as a possibility but it's rather more money than I'd like to cough up! Thanks

Whereabouts in London are you? Peter
A mouse? No good for Lumin either, I hated their app.

Lumin T3 for me was a fail, one of the few mistakes I've made, even with a power supply upgrade. I thought the P1 was massively premium priced for fibre input and a better power supply. I got a Teddy Pardo PS for £550 and it's probably better than the P1 LPS.

Norf London. N3. If only I had your view.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Norf London. N3. If only I had your view.
I was in Central London, but sold up in 2007, hence the move to the South Coast and the wherewithal to acquire the splendid views!

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
The new Hifi Rose R130 I am receiving tomorrow has a software volume control with remote and reviews are extremely positive. That would make a good combination with your NAD.

Or just buy the best integrated you can afford from the usual suspects and the best streaming DAC you can afford.

For example a Boulder + DCS Bartók.

Reactions: Hear Here

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
You're greatly limiting yourself looking for excelent components packaged into an all in one. I suggest buy another rack that accomodates seperates. Do yoursefl a favor. For example, even a very, very positive recent review of a Mola Mola Tambuqui (streamer plus DAC) recommened using an external streamer.

If a good dac costs $15k and a good streamer costs $12k, then minor synergies would make the combo $25k. but you don't see $25K combo's because there isn't a market for them. All-in-1 is never top level.

Jerry

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
You're greatly limiting yourself looking for excelent components packaged into an all in one. I suggest buy another rack that accomodates seperates. Do yoursefl a favor. For example, even a very, very positive recent review of a Mola Mola Tambuqui (streamer plus DAC) recommened using an external streamer.

If a good dac costs $15k and a good streamer costs $12k, then minor synergies would make the combo $25k. but you don't see $25K combo's because there isn't a market for them. All-in-1 is never top level.

Jerry
But a good DAC needn't cost a fraction of that, and nor does a good streamer. That's chucking cash at places that don't need it. If that cash is burning a hole in your pocket, chuck it at better speakers.

A good modern DAC is the size of a matchbox, so why put it in its own expensive case with its own power supply, sockets, cables, etc when it could easily be housed in a cable-free shared case? Similarly the streamer element doesn't need its own case, sockets, power supply, or cables. All could be housed in a preamp case, thus avoiding a pile of cables - the cable that actually improves sound hasn't yet been invented and never will be - so avoid as many as possible of these grossly overpriced and unattractive links.

All-in-ones (incidentally if you were referring to the Rose R130, that's just a streamer - no DAC or preamp), are becoming much more common as people realise there's no need for a pile of boxes connected by a snake-pit of cables. Although this is led by the big brands, they are becoming far more accepted because there's no longer a justification for housing each small element in its own box.

Reactions: Carlsbad

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
But a good DAC needn't cost a fraction of that, and nor does a good streamer. That's chucking cash at places that don't need it. If that cash is burning a hole in your pocket, chuck it at better speakers.

A good modern DAC is the size of a matchbox, so why put it in its own expensive case with its own power supply, sockets, cables, etc when it could easily be housed in a cable-free shared case? Similarly the streamer element doesn't need its own case, sockets, power supply, or cables. All could be housed in a preamp case, thus avoiding a pile of cables - the cable that actually improves sound hasn't yet been invented and never will be - so avoid as many as possible of these grossly overpriced and unattractive links.

All-in-ones (incidentally if you were referring to the Rose R130, that's just a streamer - no DAC or preamp), are becoming much more common as people realise there's no need for a pile of boxes connected by a snake-pit of cables. Although this is led by the big brands, they are becoming far more accepted because there's no longer a justification for housing each small element in its own box.
I understand. We are shopping for different things. Best of luck. Jerry

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I understand. We are shopping for different things. Best of luck. Jerry
No, both of us are (or should be) shopping for stuff that offers the best sound quality, irrespective of price - within reason! Peter

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Yes, but I find that a top quality DAC is different than you do, for instance:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing