All kc otl/o’clock preamp

geraldc

Sep 21, 2020
Congrats on the MZ3. The power supplies are different, but I’m told it sounds identical to the Microzotl Preamp. I like the Psvane 6sn7’s in mine. Better than other NOS Sylvania and RCA variants I’ve tried. But they don’t fit under the cover.
You probably already know it takes months for these Antipodes to fully burn in. Look forward to your impressions.
i committed to the L9000 this morning. That concludes my acquisitions for a good while. except maybe tubes and tweeks.:)
Hi @Tuckia, just noticed that you are using the Allnic OTL/OCL L-9000. Have you compared the balanced outputs, which are transformer coupled, with the single ended outputs, which are direct coupled? Do they sound much different? Transformer coupling is Allnic's forte.

BTW, we posted on the CX forum previously. Yes, my Extreme will be in around mid November. Didn't want to say too much initially as I was first given a build time of 8 weeks, which would have pushed back the delivery to around early December. Will provide some comments and feedback later. G

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Hi @Tuckia, just noticed that you are using the Allnic OTL/OCL L-9000. Have you compared the balanced outputs, which are transformer coupled, with the single ended outputs, which are direct coupled? Do they sound much different? Transformer coupling is Allnic's forte.

BTW, we posted on the CX forum previously. Yes, my Extreme will be in around mid November. Didn't want to say too much initially as I was first given a build time of 8 weeks, which would have pushed back the delivery to around early December. Will provide some comments and feedback later. G
The premise of the Allnic OTL/OCL line is eliminating the transformer and coupling capacitor, despite Allnic's association with transformer based design. Kang Su must believe this approach has merit on its own. I believe the transformer output is there for the convenience of those who currently have a balanced system, not for SQ reasons. My system is single ended so I haven't tried this connection. Others I know have and report that the liveliness is lost. I must presume that this is only a secondary connection for those who have a reason to use it. In the end, I like how it sounds and presents itself through the single ended outputs.

I suspect that the L8000 DHT would be a better option for those who prefer balanced systems, but would defer to @ketcham on that thought.

Didn't realize you carried through on your Extreme thoughts. That's excellent news! I'm happy for you but jealous too. There are a few really appealing server/streamer options right now that have my attention. The Extreme with upcoming TAS would be at the top, but the new K line from Antipodes, and recent developments with LDMS are intriguing at their price points. Please post your thoughts once it arrives. We now know the K50 is a solid upgrade from the CX+EX, but am looking forward to an Extreme compare. Share more information about your system when you can please.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

geraldc

Sep 21, 2020
"Others I know have and report that the liveliness is lost."

Yes, that is what I would have thought. I have now included the components list in the signature (I think I have, as it doesn't show up in the preview). In case it's missing, here is the equipment list.

Michel Gyrodec, Graham 2.2, VandenHul Grasshopper
CX, SOTM (SMS+TX-USB), Esoteric D1x, Tortuga LDR
Passlabs XVR-1 (880Hz), D'AG Momentum S250, Krell FPB300CX
All Cardas Clear
Apogee Diva
RAAL SR1a

There are no passive crossovers on the Divas, which are 30 years old. The tweeter goes down to 1.2 ohms. So there is no hope of an OTL power amp for me at any reasonable price. The LDR (light dependent resistor) pre-amp delivers wonderfully transparent sparkling high frequencies, whilst maintaining excellent bass control, without any harshness. I don't want to lose that in any preamp.

Reactions: bonzo75

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The premise of the Allnic OTL/OCL line is eliminating the transformer and coupling capacitor, despite Allnic's association with transformer based design. Kang Su must believe this approach has merit on its own.
Having listened to tube preamps with direct-coupled outputs for the last 30 years I can tell you that this is quite true!

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Having listened to tube preamps with direct-coupled outputs for the last 30 years I can tell you that this is quite true!
I was one of the first to own the L10,000 OTL/OCL before I became a dealer. I used a 33' run of balanced output to my monoblocks. I can wholeheartedly attest the magic of the OTL/OCL is lost with the balanced outputs. KS Park's internal circuits are unbalanced, and an in-house made transformer is added to create the balanced outputs. Now using 33' Allnic ZL unbalanced cable, there is no issue running unbalanced at such great lengths. They have made them even longer, too, without issue. When asked why offer balanced outputs - consumer demand dictated the option.

There is also a resistor on the Allnic Preamplifier's balanced input to convert to an unbalanced signal. Per KS Park, there are three ways to accomplish this: using an input transformer, "using phase-shifting with IC or TR" (I humbly do not know what IC and TR define), and finally, a resistor load method. For optimal sonics, Allnic uses the latter.

Most dacs with a solid-state balanced output circuit have a strong discrete output signal to drive a preamplifier's input by force. But a tubed output stage with a transformer may produce a low current signal that does not push through this resistor, resulting in gain that is paradoxically significantly LESS than the unbalanced input. In this situation, the unbalanced output of the DAC to the preamp is recommended.

Reactions: geraldc

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing