Alternative to Caddock for MA-1 resistor upgrade

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Am I right in thinking that the Caddock resistors used in the upgrade pack are MS series, which are brown in colour?

It appears they are discontinued?

Just wondering what other 0.47 ohms 5w ones could be used as alternatives?

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Am I right in thinking that the Caddock resistors used in the upgrade pack are MS series, which are brown in colour?

It appears they are discontinued?

Just wondering what other 0.47 ohms 5w ones could be used as alternatives?
Mills makes a good part. Their non-inductive parts are a bit large. But you don't need non-inductive for the output of a solid state power amp.

Reactions: AMR / iFi audio

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
That's a fine part. If used for an output section I would be happy to use them. Caddock has been having some serious lead times recently. For an output section current limiting resistor I seriously doubt that anyone could hear a difference!
Thanks. The $64m question is however, is that resistor going to given an audible improvement over the stock ones Ralph?

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
That depends on the circuit. Obviously the power supply or supplies are a good place to look.

If we are talking about a set of MA-1s the first thing I would do is make sure the amp is up to date. If that is done then the coupling caps are the first thing to look at, although in the MA-1 if its been updated to latest spec that's already taken care of. Does this amp have the resistor package (Caddock) or the Power Supply Boost options?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
A 0R47 resistor is unlikely to have much of sonic signature. However, I do recommend Path Audio resistors for sound and quality. They've got a 0R5. But they're big, and have a third lead that needs to be grounded. In general, resistors absolutely do have a sound, and of course the extent to which they do depends on where they reside in the circuit.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
That depends on the circuit. Obviously the power supply or supplies are a good place to look.

If we are talking about a set of MA-1s the first thing I would do is make sure the amp is up to date. If that is done then the coupling caps are the first thing to look at, although in the MA-1 if its been updated to latest spec that's already taken care of. Does this amp have the resistor package (Caddock) or the Power Supply Boost options?
Power supply caps? Inductors if present, that's what you mean?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing