Ampex electronics for the best possible sound

I'm of a similar ethos, Roger.

I prefer optimizing an original factory stock product from a top-tier company by ensuring it's operating at optimal factory specification rather than modifying it...that way, I have a superb idea of the original designer's/manufacturer's concept of excellence.

Now, should I be favored with another unit...I would seriously contemplate minor, easily reversible performance enhancements. For example, with a Ferrari -- I might consider exchanging the stock exhaust, i.e. cats, etc., for a Tubi, while maintaing all of the original parts for future needs ;)

Roger, is your two-channel system listed somewhere :confused:

Maybe I should purchase a tubi exhaust for my system,nah I'll save that for my future 550 Marenello,:D

You have to be careful with the A820, there are many components that were spec'd that are special and to replace would seriously degrade reliability.
Some replace the opamps but I see no benefit as these are Signetics low noise versions. There could be an upgrade there but I think were splitting hairs. The resistors and all the film caps should not be replaced. The e-caps can be and would upgrade the sound and not effect the value. Only the best caps would warrant to be used though and these are NLA, any others are of no interest to me. I would also bypass one film cap with teflon. So all in all a simple project.

My system is here. The speakers are all custom along with other bits and pieces. I'll be glad when it's all done.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1769-My-2-channel-experiment

Cheers,

Roger

Haha, Tony ;) How wonderful to have your abilities! Currently -lol-, I'm developing some basic skills with test and measurement gear. Maybe, you should forget the selector switch...what do you think :confused:
Sam
I am working on a Studer B62 which was damaged in shipping, heads is relapping now, tensions will be adjusted later by tech and I will be there to watch and learn, all amps are same as A80RC so this time no more selector switch and will fix all amp cards no more movable card for less conduct points, same with tubes and transformers modification, make it like to be a portable A80 for elsewhere recording although the mechanism is not as good as A80,I will post some pictures when it is done
tony ma

... no more selector switch and will fix all amp cards no more movable card for less conduct points, same with tubes and transformers modification,
Tony, to me a big weakness for this older, pro level, gear is that there are so many switches and pluggable modules involved in the mechanism. How much work, if any, have you done on assessing how much an improvement is possible if you go through the exercise of totally hard wiring absolutely everything inside a unit?

Frank

Maybe I should purchase a tubi exhaust for my system,nah I'll save that for my future 550 Marenello,:D
You have to be careful with the A820, there are many components that were spec'd that are special and to replace would seriously degrade reliability.
Cheers,
Roger

Forza Ferrari :D

I agree with your circumspection surrounding tweaking an A820...it's a system and it would be prudent to acknowledge all effects of a tweak both upstream and downstream relative to your point of departure :cool:

Sam
I am working on a Studer B62 which was damaged in shipping, heads is relapping now, tensions will be adjusted later by tech and I will be there to watch and learn, all amps are same as A80RC so this time no more selector switch and will fix all amp cards no more movable card for less conduct points, same with tubes and transformers modification, make it like to be a portable A80 for elsewhere recording although the mechanism is not as good as A80,I will post some pictures when it is done
tony ma

Excellent, Tony :D
Ever consider moving to San Diego :confused:
It's pretty nice down here ;)

Tony, to me a big weakness for this older, pro level, gear is that there are so many switches and pluggable modules involved in the mechanism. How much work, if any, have you done on assessing how much an improvement is possible if you go through the exercise of totally hard wiring absolutely everything inside a unit?

Frank

Frank
I already did in A80 unit with by passed a lot and short cut, this time I will take out all the amp cards into another case in fix style and a new power supplies for HT and low voltage for amps, original things left for just like a transport only, I think I can handle it because this is my second time to face and hope the improvement can be more better than last time to cover the the not as good as A80's mechanism
tony ma

i've purchased a couple of Ampex 351 mic pre amplifiers, supposedly they are already serviced and ready to go. i should have them in 10 days or so.

my plan is to try to mate them with my ATR-102 so i can switch from stock to the 351 in and out. as i'm clueless as to what that might require it will be fun to see where it goes. i expect there will need to be switches on heads and all that. i don't know if the heads on the ATR-102 will be compatable or not.

but you guys got me started thinking about this and so now here we go.

i've purchased a couple of Ampex 351 mic pre amplifiers, supposedly they are already serviced and ready to go. i should have them in 10 days or so.

my plan is to try to mate them with my ATR-102 so i can switch from stock to the 351 in and out. as i'm clueless as to what that might require it will be fun to see where it goes. i expect there will need to be switches on heads and all that. i don't know if the heads on the ATR-102 will be compatable or not.

but you guys got me started thinking about this and so now here we go.

Mike give Dave Dintenfass a call at Full Track productions,

http://www.fulltrackproductions.com/

Mike-I suspect the heads on your ATR-102 are low inductance/low output and they may not be compatible with the 351 without some modifications to the 351. Of course Dave will be able to tell you that.

thanks; i figured it would not be plug and play.

If doable,this will be a good project. The 350,351 used high impedance heads,I think the ATR is mid to high,but I know it won't be plug and play. A good choice for the classic Ampex tube sound.

Mike have you listened to Ki's 351's? If so what did you like?

If doable,this will be a good project. The 350,351 used high impedance heads,I think the ATR is mid to high,but I know it won't be plug and play. A good choice for the classic Ampex tube sound.

Mike have you listened to Ki's 351's? If so what did you like?

i've not yet had the chance to listen to the 351's at Ki's, i'm not even sure he's got them up and running.

i bought these 351's because everyone seemed to think they were nice sounding and i figured why not? i've not heard them anywhere as of yet.

i've not yet had the chance to listen to the 351's at Ki's, i'm not even sure he's got them up and running.

i bought these 351's because everyone seemed to think they were nice sounding and i figured why not? i've not heard them anywhere as of yet.

Mike,

The 351's are a good choice,in fact Ampex users have been arguing for 50 years if the 351's weren't the best sounding electronics Ampex ever built.

I should add a qualifier to that "tube".

You should join the Ampex list. Lot's of great info on Ampex,their machines and the recording industry in general.

http://recordist.com/ampex/

I was always under the impression mistaken or not that the 350s were the holy grail. The 350s are point-to-point wired and have outboard tube rectified power supplies. The tubes are mounted on a floating plate to prevent microphonics as they were designed for both location and studio recording. The 351s have the power supply built into the main chassis and the circuit is built on a CCA. I have never compared the two, so I can't say which sounds best.

I was always under the impression mistaken or not that the 350s were the holy grail. The 350s are point-to-point wired and have outboard tube rectified power supplies. The tubes are mounted on a floating plate to prevent microphonics as they were designed for both location and studio recording. The 351s have the power supply built into the main chassis and the circuit is built on a CCA. I have never compared the two, so I can't say which sounds best.

Mark,

I'm with you,but I say there is a difference of opinion. Not hearing a pair of 351's I have no opinion,but given the design differences the 350 series should get the nod. The 351's are more popular I think for their all in one box design.

Great info

Mark,

I'm with you,but I say there is a difference of opinion. Not hearing a pair of 351's I have no opinion,but given the design differences the 350 series should get the nod. The 351's are more popular I think for their all in one box design.

in this thread...recommended reading :D

Mike,

The 351's are a good choice,in fact Ampex users have been arguing for 50 years if the 351's weren't the best sounding electronics Ampex ever built.

I should add a qualifier to that "tube".

You should join the Ampex list. Lot's of great info on Ampex,their machines and the recording industry in general.

http://recordist.com/ampex/

Roger,

i am a subscriber to the Ampex List and do scan all the posts and read some of them. lots of it is over my head.

Dave D. called me back today. he has some 351 transports and suggests i do a complete Ampex 351, which sounds good to me. when i get the 351 mic pre's we'll move forward with that. rather than try to modify the ATR i'm more comfortable with this direction. having an expert on these Ampex machines locally makes this a no brainer for me. thanks again for the suggestion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu