Analog tuner

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Hi all,
I am looking for a analog tuner. Can be a classic or a modern one. Don't want to spend too much money ;) Any suggestions? Thank y'all! And enjoy the festive season :) !

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
A few years ago we had a nice long discussion about FM Tuners: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?549-Tuners

I am a fan of the tuner in my Carver receiver which had this special circuit whose name I forget but substantially increased gain and reduced multi-path.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi all,
I am looking for a analog tuner. Can be a classic or a modern one. Don't want to spend too much money ;) Any suggestions? Thank y'all! And enjoy the festive season :) !

You can get used classic Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude FM Stereo Tuners at very nice prices ~usd 400. They sound excellent and are very reliable.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It may not be up to the FM standards you're looking for, but I have an original Kenwood KT-8007 AM/FM Tuner that I'm not using. I have the original box as well. It was apparently very well received in its day.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
A few years ago we had a nice long discussion about FM Tuners: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?549-Tuners

I am a fan of the tuner in my Carver receiver which had this special circuit whose name I forget but substantially increased gain and reduced multi-path.

Would that circuit be the "Asymmetrical Charge Coupled FM Detector" that is identified under the signal strength meter? (If I am making it out correctly!)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Would that circuit be the "Asymmetrical Charge Coupled FM Detector" that is identified under the signal strength meter? (If I am making it out correctly!)
It would be! Thanks. Just looked up what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver

"The "asymmetrical charge-coupled detector" is not the FM detector circuit of tuners, but rather, as described in U.S. Patent 4,457,012, it is single-ended dynamic noise-reduction processing applied to the noisy left-minus-right component of a weak FM-stereo signal, along with artificial ambience generation to compensate for loss of ambience resulting from the noise reduction. This innovation was introduced in the Carver TX-1-11 component FM stereo tuner noise reduction unit and the Carver TX-11 AM/FM Stereo Tuner in 1982."

Marketing name that has nothing to do with what the circuit actually does :).

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Thank you all very much! I live in the Netherlands so I am scouring the Dutch and German market. At the moment I have two contenders:
Magnum Dynalab MD-100 Analoge FM tuner: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-t...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=CO_Sel_B_ASQ_Mail , and a
Revox B760: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/audio-t...emmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ASQ_MAIL .
Any comments on these? Other Magnum Dynalabs for sale are different models for which prices are asked of around 3000 euros. Too much for me. For the dynalab, an extra antenna is advised:
dynalab antenna.jpg
cheers, Wim

esldude

I too would suggest the Magnum Dynalab. Old McIntosh units were quite good, but cost more usually. The MD100 was not as good as the Etude FT101 model in my opinion (I had both years back).

Also, some of the upper model Denons were not far behind and can usually be had for very little money if you happen to see one.

Now about that Carver, those things had the best RF performance of any I tried if you are shooting for weak long distance signals while still quiet enough to enjoy.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I worked my way up through the Magnum Dynalab range up to my current MD 109.
They were all great at their respective price points.
You can't beat a good MD tuner in my experience and an external FM aerial makes a big difference. Very cost effective.

Ricardo007

Nov 13, 2015
Nos ancêtres les Gaullois
Hello Barry
I just installed my MD109 and wonder if you tried tube rolling? I have a nice collection of various ecc88 bought a few years ago but not knowledgeable on how to match the tubes in this particular differential balanced circuit. V1 and V2 tubes seem more important than v3 and v4. I don't know if both triode in each tube are used either or just one.
Richard

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Richard
Congratulations on your MD 109. I am listening to Radio 3 as I type and it is real delight. Signal strength is 97 and sounding great.
I have never really been tempted to try tube rolling. A mixture of ignorance and satisfaction with the stock tubes and sound. I did upgrade the Entreq Apollo i/c to Infinity a couple of years ago which worked well.
There may be one of our fellow members who can help you but other than that I can only suggest you contact MD for their advice. I would be interested to hear how things go.
Best
Barry

Ricardo007

Nov 13, 2015
hello Barry
I have a collection of Nos tubes and I just put Siemens Halske CCa D getter tubes as input tube and mullard D getter tubes 6922 as phase splitter both early sixties tubes; quite a few other available for tube rolling telefunken ECC188 and Philips SQ first version 7308... No issues at all and this is now my best source with incredible depth on classical music! Worth to try!
Regards
Richard

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Richard
That is interesting although something of a closed book for me. I have been trying out an LFD Silver Scorpion balanced i/c on my 109 in place of the usual Entreq Apollo Infinity. I tried the LFD first with my phono stage and though it was initially attractive I concluded it was a bit too lean for my tastes. I have now had it running in the tuner for a week or so and so far quite like it. Again it is a bit leaner but the extra emphasis in the mid band and the treble is working well particularly with vocals so I may stay with it. I am currently waiting for the return of an Apollo power cable which went back to Entreq for an Infinity upgrade. I picked it up at a very good price with a Schuko plug and it had obviously had a hard life, but the seller didn't hide that, so no complaints. It will probably be used on my power box to maximise the benefits across the system and I am looking forward to hearing how much of a difference it makes.
Now as for tube rolling the 109 I am starting from scratch along with what is probably an uneceesarily caution to valves and their high voltages. If I were to be tempted to follow your example I would need your help on what tubes to go for and where to get them. Secondly, some guidance on how to safely remove the existing valves and replace them. If you wouldn't mind giving me some guidance on that I might well be tempted to follow your example.
The manual for my 109 says the tube replacement positions 1& 2 are 6922MD Cryovalve Reference and 3 & 4 are 6922 MD Reference. Are they the same on yours?
So as is apparent uncharted waters for me but would be interested to learn more.
Regards
Barry

Ricardo007

Nov 13, 2015
Barry
I can modestly give some advice having been on collecting various tubes in the perspective of tube rolling in my equipments (jadis in the main system was the initial trigger) over the years and I started early... But never had time to do the serious tube rolling per se until Covid 19... Just collecting dust on my beloved collection...
There are various well established sellers although supply of most. Searched after tubes is now (well since the 90s) scarce. So please don't share any information on the forum among your cost no object colleagues... Consider this also as a niche antique / collectors market
Tastes vary so you will see many different opinions on the net forum.Doing things properly may require a tube tester especially for power amps or sensitive circuits like phonostage or even certains applications within a circuit. However in my case I don't have a tube tester I rely on what I am sold as long as things are matched pairs. 6922 or European designation of this tube used in the MD109 work in pairs, one pair used as gain stage one pair to make balanced signal. So 2 tubes for each channel. I have same tubes as you. You will see the cryoed ones at the input of the output stage with label from pearl company in Canada (I know the guy also but had "funny" stories with him...I had to hire a private to get my power tubes back... ) .
You may want to start reading jessy Brent speaking about various Nos tubes of this family. I send the link
I bought a lot from him ten years ago.
Can speak more but I need to stop...

Send u the link later.

Where are you based? UK?
Regards
Richard

Ricardo007

Nov 13, 2015
I will use the DAC board I have in the MD109 for serious tube rolling I installed an old linn cd12 today

Attachments

• Top overview with DAC board.jpg
    Top overview with DAC board.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2 pairs russian 6922.jpg
    2 pairs russian 6922.jpg
    676.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Input of output board.jpg
    Input of output board.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 9

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I will use the DAC board I have in the MD109 for serious tube rolling I installed an old linn cd12 today
My NOS Phillips Heerlen Miniwat SQ E88C/6922 tubes arrived this lunctime.
With the help of a friend and neighbour they were installed about half an hour ago. He has long experience of valves and kindly installed them. All went very smoothly I am happy to say. Been playing for about 40 minutes and first impressions are very good.
Ricardo thank you very much for all your help and I'll update you shortly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing