Analogue Productions' Hootie & the Blowfish

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Analogue Productions remastered Hootie & the Blowfish's Cracked Rear View. I always liked very much the song "Let Her Cry," but the 1994 LP was bright and edgy and icy-sounding.

This new remastering is fantastic! It is warmer and more natural and not fatiguing. The album is suddenly quite listenable!

I generally agree with our original pressing aficionados on the sonic merits of original pressings of classical and jazz over remasterings. But I have always treated remasterings of pop as a separate category.

I have often found that the remasterings of pop albums sound better than the original pressings. However bad and bright and edgy was the original crappy, multi-track pop recording, running that tape through an all-tube mastering chain to high-quality vinyl generally helps the sound.

DCC Compact Classics are my best examples of this.

Last edited:
My analogue Productions pressings of Hugh Masekela “Hope” is horrendous , maybe its just my copy ,for such an expensive 2 LP pressing its redonculous .....!

Regards

Hi, Ron. We took the "down" elevator together at the Hyatt the final morning of AXPONA ...

I picked up this same 45 rpm LP from one of the vendors there and was also blown away by the fidelity of it. I don't have the original to compare it to, but I'm very impressed with this 75th Anniversary of Atlantic Records pressing.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
It was great to meet you in person!

I have at least two copies of the original, and the original sounds as bad as I described.

Likewise!

If you happen to be a Stevie Ray Vaughan fan, Analouge Productions also offers an equally amazing pressing of "The Sky is Crying." I will be buying more of their releases after my experience with these two titles.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing