Apple Mac Pro

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just for fun today I was in the Apple website checking out the new Mac Pro which has an MSRP of $6999. However if you look at the available options and add them to the build the computer will max out at almost $60.000. If you get the XDR display for either $5K or $6K if you get the nanoglass it doesn’t even come with a stand which is another $500. You can also order it iwith wheels for another $400. So if you need some computing power this one can set you back close to $60K

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Wow there must be a market for it or they wouldn't make it. Plus they spent almost a billion dollars on a new plant in Austin, Tx to make the Mac Pro. A few weeks ago I about a 27inch iMac. 32m of Ram. Just love it...I have a MacBook Pro 13 for traveling. with work....

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Pretty much the same in UK. £5.5k basic rising to £48k with all available bits.

In the UK the Mac Pro remains the desirable piece of computer kit as does the MacBook Pro as a fantastic digital source for a high end hifi system.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Specs seem sorta weak for the price. You can get 56 cores on two CPU’s in the same PC from other places. The only spec it has that might be more interesting is 1TB of ram over 768GB that some computers are limited at.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Specs seem sorta weak for the price. You can get 56 cores on two CPU’s in the same PC from other places. The only spec it has that might be more interesting is 1TB of ram over 768GB that some computers are limited at.

How about the nano glass option on the monitor

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I’m generally opposed to most nanotech stuff because manufacturing it creates particles our bodies cannot purge, and we will get some in us.

But what is more amusing is that you can only clean it with a special dry cloth, zero liquids or other clothes... Sounds like nightmare on a $1000 stand. And if I understand it right, the main benefit is reduced glare.

The only visual tech that excited me is high refresh rates (contrast comes with that) and e-ink.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
A fool and their money ....

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
A fool and their money ....

Eh? It’s obviously for professional use for video editing, like for making Hollywood movies or something. No one needs one for personal use. You couldn’t possibly exercise the power. Video games don’t, endless internet tabs, etc, won’t do it. It won’t even feel faster either.

Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing