Aqua Formula - settings new levels of R2R sonics and price performance

OK, here's a first impression, after quite a few hours of burn-in and experimentation with assorted filters...

This thing is *good*, seriously good! It has a tonal weight that is really impressive, and adds to the "believability" that a R2R design usually has.

So far, my favourite filter setting is not what Ed recommended, so I kinda feel weird about it :) I'm using closed-form-fast, NS5.

Next, I'll try it with other servers/streamers, mostly to gauge the extent of SGM's contribution to the overall result...

2 days ago I spent a few hours listening to Formula and comparing it with other brands carried by the Aqua Hong Kong dealer.
SGMS was used as source.
IMHO Formula is at least on par with Totaldac Six, but each have its own characters and strong areas.
Very impressive!

2 days ago I spent a few hours listening to Formula and comparing it with other brands carried by the Aqua Hong Kong dealer.
SGMS was used as source.
IMHO Formula is at least on par with Totaldac Six, but each have its own characters and strong areas.
Very impressive!

Hello CK , how does it compare to the Trinity ? I believe you have heard Dietmars DAC as well . In what areas does the Formula excel according to you !

Hello CK , how does it compare to the Trinity ? I believe you have heard Dietmars DAC as well . In what areas does the Formula excel according to you !

The Aqua dealer in Hong Kong carries also Totaldac and Rockna so comparison amongst them is feasible.
Trinity, dCS, CH, MSB, Lamp ... etc are carried by diff dealers and dealers in HK rarely allow home-trial for customers. :(

Yes, I auditioned all of them, but in diff systems and at diff time.
So pls take my comments with grains of salt : IMHO Formula is on par with Trinity dac.

Aqua excels at the bass : dynamical, agile, with layers & resolution. In fact the whole freq spectrum gets authority. But don't misunderstand, I think Formula is more musical than non-SelectII MSB.
Totaldac Six & Trinity are warmer & sweeter, particularly in the mid & treble freq.

I listened to a "default state" Formula. I believe there must be further improvement if it is given better fuse, footers ...etc

The Aqua dealer in Hong Kong carries also Totaldac and Rockna so comparison amongst them is feasible.
Trinity, dCS, CH, MSB, Lamp ... etc are carried by diff dealers and dealers in HK rarely allow home-trial for customers. :(

So pls take my comments with grains of salt : IMHO Formula is on par with Trinity dac.

Aqua excels at the bass : dynamical, agile, with layers & resolution. In fact the whole freq spectrum gets authority. But don't misunderstand, I think Formula is more musical than non-SelectII MSB.
Totaldac Six & Trinity are warmer & sweeter, particularly in the mid & treble freq.

I listened to a "default state" Formula. I believe there must be further improvement if it is given better fuse, footers ...etc

I've now lived with the Aqua Formula dac for over a month, always with the SGM server. I'd agree generally that the Aqua Formula/SGM gets to the same territory as my recollection of the Trinity dac/ CAPSv4 in my system. Trinity dac + SGM?...don't know.

I think it's hard to isolate any dac from the specific server, particularly a server with a supercharged HQ Player like the SGM. my opinion is that the Aqua Formula dac with SGM does a wonderful job with dsd file conversions to DXD so those files are still special. will every server do this? with every dac? these are questions. I have 7+ terabytes of dsd that are important to me.

as far as tweaks, i'll add that the Herzan TS-150 active isolation was a clear performance boost (takes it closer to my vinyl) for the Formula dac as was BDR cones substituting for the stock rubber footers......in my particular set-up. and XLR interconnects are essential, the performance suffered with the RCA interconnects. there are additional transformers on the XLR outputs which likely isolate digital noise from the analog outputs (my guess).

my Aqua La Diva CD transport arrives on Thursday.

Last edited:
Hello from Melbourne,

CKKeung, did you do any comparative listening between the Formula, Optologic La Scala and Rockna with a CD transport? Thank you, Kostas.

I've now lived with the Aqua Formula dac for over a month, always with the SGM server. I'd agree generally that the Aqua Formula/SGM gets to the same territory as my recollection of the Trinity dac/ CAPSv4 in my system.

as far as tweaks, i'll add that the Herzan TS-150 active isolation was a clear performance boost (takes it closer to my vinyl) for the Formula dac as was BDR cones substituting for the stock rubber footers......in my particular set-up. and XLR interconnects are essential, the performance suffered with the RCA interconnects. there are additional transformers on the XLR outputs which likely isolate digital noise from the analog outputs (my guess).

Is the SGM way ahead of the Capsv4 , would have to be considered as a factor while determining the final out come . Aqua Formula seems the real deal at an approachable price point . Has your Aqua transport arrived as yet ?

Thanks for the feedback CK .

Is the SGM way ahead of the Capsv4 , would have to be considered as a factor while determining the final out come . Aqua Formula seems the real deal at an approachable price point . Has your Aqua transport arrived as yet ?

see my edits above....and yes, the SGM is another level or two beyond the CAPSv4 'hot-rod' I had (now sold).

I think it's hard to isolate any dac from the specific server, particularly a server with a supercharged HQ Player like the SGM. my opinion is that the Aqua Formula dac with SGM does a wonderful job with dsd file conversions to DXD so those files are still special. will every server do this? with every dac? these are questions. I have 7+ terabytes of dsd that are important to me.

another thing to consider when comparing dacs is that the Trinity dac only does 192/24, verses full dxd for the Aqua Formula......which might particularly be a factor with the up-sample of dsd up to Quad. I know that dsd512 matters a lot with the reverse......up-sampling PCM files for optimal performance. this is speculation on my part.....

Hello from Melbourne,
CKKeung, did you do any comparative listening between the Formula, Optologic La Scala and Rockna with a CD transport? Thank you, Kostas.

Yes, I listened to Formula for a while with Rockna NET in pure cd transport mode.
Very good too.
But SGMS converting everything to DXD gave Formula the best performance.

Rockna dac is not in the same league of Formula/Totaldac Six/Trinity.

I've now lived with the Aqua Formula dac for over a month, always with the SGM server. I'd agree generally that the Aqua Formula/SGM gets to the same territory as my recollection of the Trinity dac/ CAPSv4 in my system. Trinity dac + SGM?...don't know.
my Aqua La Diva CD transport arrives on Thursday.

Hi Mike,

Edward commented that the Formula when given a Herzan anti-vibration platform, was turned into another animal!
I guess he must have got the experience in you home. :)

Although the chassis of Formula is coated with anti-RFI paint, it's not sturdy. I could felt that it was vibrating with drums in the music. haha

see my edits above....and yes, the SGM is another level or two beyond the CAPSv4 'hot-rod' I had (now sold).

Noted .. Thanks . Any reason why you would want to go back to spinning redbook , since it's mainly high Rez for you in the digital domain .

Hi Mike,

Edward commented that the Formula when given a Herzan anti-vibration platform, was turned into another animal!
I guess he must have got the experience in you home. :)

Although the chassis of Formula is coated with anti-RFI paint, it's not sturdy. I could felt that it was vibrating with drums in the music. haha

yes; Edward had never heard the Herzan prior to my room, he is now a believer. he had heard what it did on my vinyl in an earlier visit. and then on the final day of his last visit, we had torn apart my rack so I could fit the very large SGM (I had to remove the hardware for one shelf), and so I was able to stack the Formula on top of my dart pre which was sitting on the Herzan. we were then playing some music, and I turned the Herzan on, and immediately things went to a whole new level in terms of focus and texture and Edward went a bit nuts. it was quite a profound difference.

I think you will see Edward has the Herzan (actually the 'Swiss' Table Stable which is the OEM of Herzan) fully in his focus as he knows what a difference it can make.

I think the Aqua Formula chassis is fine, it's the rubber footers that are not stable. I might also try some sort of top plate for resonance control at some point.

Noted .. Thanks . Any reason why you would want to go back to spinning redbook , since it's mainly high Rez for you in the digital domain .

I had been toying with the idea mostly for easier access to new music, and felt that the Aqua transport was reasonable so I pulled the trigger. other transports I had considered were Esoteric based and just too spendy to do. I wanted one, but not $20k+++worth of want.

people are always bringing new CD's to my room and wanted to make that easier.

honestly these days the format has become much less an issue. redbook files are amazing with the Formula-SGM.

we will see how bypassing the SGM with the RJ45 cable and CD's compares.

btw; I want to echo a comment made by Alex earlier, that tonal weight really comes in on the Aqua Formula with extended break-in. I'm listening to lots of vocals and classical recordings, horns, piano, guitar......and I'm very impressed by the depth and tonal weight of how the Formula renders these musical parts. it's very natural and easy on the ears and my listening tolerance. it's not fatiguing. I'm getting the full chest and body of the music, it's colorful but not colored. yet it's a space machine, and handles the micro-dynamics and macro with ease and authority. and the flow and sense of musical pulse is right. it gets that energy shading right. and it's refined and nuanced.

btw; I want to echo a comment made by Alex earlier, that tonal weight really comes in on the Aqua Formula with extended break-in. I'm listening to lots of vocals and classical recordings, horns, piano, guitar......and I'm very impressed by the depth and tonal weight of how the Formula renders these musical parts. it's very natural and easy on the ears and my listening tolerance. it's not fatiguing. I'm getting the full chest and body of the music, it's colorful but not colored. yet it's a space machine, and handles the micro-dynamics and macro with ease and authority. and the flow and sense of musical pulse is right. it gets that energy shading right. and it's refined and nuanced.

Agree with you 100%.

Can I ask those who've heard the Formula perform, esp via SGM, whether this density of tone is balanced by a real sense of propulsion and timing?
I ask because so much digital is impressive until you get to the "music making" bit, and lack of verve and energy makes the presentation a bit detached and bloodless
I also ask because I've been privileged to many times hear the T&A Dac8 on the SGM upscaled to dsd 512 on HQP, and the last 5% of tonal density and timbre loveliness it might lose out to eg GG, is more than compensated for by truly engaging verveiness, exemplary timing, and just a more joyous listening experience IMHO YMMV yada yada
And this has been maxxed another 30-50% (no exaggeration) by going from powered Sablon Reserva USB to unpowered Sablon Reserva Elite USB
For me at least, the interesting discussion, in the light of Mark's stellar unpowered Reserva Elite USB, would be Formula w standard powered USB on the SGM v Dac8 w the unquestionably superior unpowered USB on the SGM

For me at least, the interesting discussion, in the light of Mark's stellar unpowered Reserva Elite USB, would be Formula w standard powered USB on the SGM v Dac8 w the unquestionably superior unpowered USB on the SGM

The gap has surely closed between the two and is the price differential worth the potential increase in SQ from the Formula?
Or, are both DACs now running parallel with resultant sound appealing to different ears and dependent on music preference. Formula favouring Classical with its enormous soundstage whilst the T+A being the Rock champion due to its propulsiveness.

To be fair you would also need a Herzan table under both DACs and SGM.:)

Can I ask those who've heard the Formula perform, esp via SGM, whether this density of tone is balanced by a real sense of propulsion and timing?
I ask because so much digital is impressive until you get to the "music making" bit, and lack of verve and energy makes the presentation a bit detached and bloodless
I also ask because I've been privileged to many times hear the T&A Dac8 on the SGM upscaled to dsd 512 on HQP, and the last 5% of tonal density and timbre loveliness it might lose out to eg GG, is more than compensated for by truly engaging verveiness, exemplary timing, and just a more joyous listening experience IMHO YMMV yada yada
And this has been maxxed another 30-50% (no exaggeration) by going from powered Sablon Reserva USB to unpowered Sablon Reserva Elite USB

Did you ever hear a GG playing back DSD512 on the SGM or even a competent music Server? AFAIK, only very very few have...you must be one of the Lucky ones. ....not even AudiophileBill managed that so far. I will have my PC Server set up in about a week and let you know my take, but my recently upgraded GG has never sounded better!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu