Are there better TTs than the SME 30/12A at 15K price point?

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Background: I am a vinyl newbie with maybe 100 LPs (or less) in my collection. I have had a Technics SL1210GAE for past 2 years, I just plugged and played it. It’s good but my digital is almost as good or sometimes better.

I recently heard a SME 30/12A at the dealer’s, and it blew my mind and I for the first time understood what the fuss with analog was all about, and my digital was no where close (the dealer had almost the same digital -- mine is Nagra Tube DAC, his was the Nagra HD DAC -- and we did on spot comparison, not an apples to apple of course but still best that we could under the circumstances).
Given this sound, I can see myself investing in 100s of LPs in the future which I did not do with the Technics TT.

Now given my relative inexperience with vinyl (I know next to nothing about analog setup and I am sure my current table setup is not optimised by any standards), should I plunge for this offer which is offered to me at 1/3rd-ish the retail price and probably an endgame TT for me. Is this as great an offer as I think it is, or are there better TTs (including tonearm of course) at 15K$ retail/street price than the SME 30/12A -- I cannot/will not buy used.

Reactions: Massimo66 and XV-1

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Haven't you purchased it yet? What are you waiting for ;)

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Try to listen to the Brinkmann Bardo with the 10.5 tornarm. It was for a longtime recommended by StereoPhile

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've heard the 30/12a before. It's a GREAT table. But no way it's new for 15k, at least not in the USA. Since you're a Nagra fan, the Nagra Classic phono is a great phono preamp, I love mine...

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
I've heard the 30/12a before. It's a GREAT table. But no way it's new for 15k, at least not in the USA. Since you're a Nagra fan, the Nagra Classic phono is a great phono preamp, I love mine...
It's a demo unit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Looks too good to be true, but it is true buy it as soon as possible. It is a fabulous turntable, I have owned the SME 30/2 - V and a good friend owns the 30/12a.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There is always something better. So, what. Is it what you want and a price you like? Buy it before someone else does.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
They are extremely well built to “last a lifetime “.
You loved the sound obviously.
Do not hesitate as someone will snap it up.
Let us know what happens.

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
Buy it! I am a long time 30/2 owner. Fuss free ownership for life. The only maintenance is once a year drip 3-in-1 oil into the motor bearing, de-oil the belt, change the belt every few years, and replace any broken O-ring.

The V is one of the easiest arms to replace cartridges with if the full protractor set is supplied.

Need I say that the TT sounds fabulous? Sounds even better when the V arm is replaced with something better

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Try to listen to the Brinkmann Bardo with the 10.5 tornarm. It was for a longtime recommended by StereoPhile
I owned the Bardo + 10.5 arm (later replaced it with Brinkmann Balance TT), and heard the SME 30 several times, in my opinion, the SME30 is better than the Bardo.

Reactions: mtemur and PeterA

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
I owned the Bardo + 10.5 arm (later replaced it with Brinkmann Balance TT), and heard the SME 30 several times, in my opinion, the SME30 is better than the Bardo.
The Bardo +10.5 arm is about 15k$ (us retail price). So it is just a good point to start. Hoping thar the combo SME30/12 which cost 3 time is better.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
The Bardo +10.5 arm is about 15k$ (us retail price). So it is just a good point to start. Hoping thar the combo SME30/12 which cost 3 time is better.
The Bardo is good starting point, however the owner of this post wrote he can buy the SME + Arm at 15k usd. There for at this price the SME would be much better choice to my humble experience.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
no argument on the quality of the TT but seeing that you are newbie with a minimal collection of Lp's I had a good chuckle at speculation of you buying hundreds of more Lp's. There is more overpriced Lp garbage on the market today than one can shake a stick at. It's but a small percentage of new recordings that are 'all analog' for starters, so do your homework !

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing