Aries Cerat Talos Signature Worth It?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Straight from the horse’s mouth. Thanks a lot for your contribution. Just one quick question. What is the characteristic of your Talos Sig? Big bold and beautiful or natural flowing transparent?
Many thanks!
Is it a horse ? I think it is a Ram ! ;)

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
To reiterate some thing Mike said in post 2 I think it would be very hard to go wrong with an Emia SUT made to match your cartridge together with an Emia phono stage. I have been lucky enough to borrow one of the Emia copper phono stages for a few months (possibly the only time the UK lockdowns have worked in my favour) and it is simply stunning!

I had one of Dave's silver SUT's made for my Audio Note Io Ltd a few years ago now, whilst it has worked well with my regular phono stage, the combination with his phono stage is wonderful.

I have also used one of the Emia copper SUT's, at 1:20 it's a much lower ratio than the one for the Io Ltd so is useable with more cartridges and that is very good too, just not quite as good as the silver one.

Back to the Emia phono stage, as it's a loaner I had packaged it up ready to return when lockdown ends but this thread made me get it out again. The cartridge I have mounted at the moment is an old Decca C4E, which has MM level output so I plugged it straight into the phono stage which I think is loaded at 300K ohms rather than the regular 47K ohms - it sounds fantastic, better than I have heard it before (and it's one of my favourites). I will definitely be buying one of these phono stages, the question is whether my wallet can stretch to silver and how soon.

Lastly I should also add that Dave Slagle is a really great person to deal with which makes purchasing from him very easy.

Reactions: matakana

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
It’s decided Aries Cerat Talos it is. With Miyajima SUT I am going to have adjustable crazy db gain while being able to utilize high end cartridge. Let’s hear how this €45.000 phono perform, perhaps if funds allow I will do one pair DC and one pair TC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Birdwatcher

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It's wonderful that all the positive response to the Aries Cerat Talos has cemented your buying decision :rolleyes: I'm sure we will hear from you again with some feedback when you receive it ;)

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Actually the Jadis JS is sounding better and better everyday and I got a huge improvement in muscle, bass and soundstage by adding Silvercore MC Pro SUT. I love it more but it still cannot give me the “WOW what the heck is that” factor like my Siltech cable did. My dealer who also sells Aries Cerat told me to wait until burn in is complete (meaning he doesn’t mind loaning me the brand new JS3 for a month for me to really evaluate it). Dang decision!!

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Actually the Jadis JS is sounding better and better everyday and I got a huge improvement in muscle, bass and soundstage by adding Silvercore MC Pro SUT. I love it more but it still cannot give me the “WOW what the heck is that” factor like my Siltech cable did. My dealer who also sells Aries Cerat told me to wait until burn in is complete (meaning he doesn’t mind loaning me the brand new JS3 for a month for me to really evaluate it). Dang decision!!
But no, Aries Cerat it is still. Decision has been made!! The exotic look itself sold me not to mention the possibility of extremely high gain.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
OMG!! My dear friend insists that EMT JPA66 will be better than Aries Cerat, but my dealer recommended HSE Audio ML7 (it’s SA but I prefer tube)....but I really want Aries Cerat........ please help me make a decision folks. Pleaseeeeee

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Tough decision ;)

You are considering top level phono preamps...for many it could be considered 'end game' level. From here its about getting the whole analog system to its best ( and indeed whole system ) so I would consider if you will have better support in that endeavor with either one?

Also ask yourself if resale is a factor? Do you like to change things up etc....

Gerbie1990

Nov 29, 2018
It’s decided Aries Cerat Talos it is. With Miyajima SUT I am going to have adjustable crazy db gain while being able to utilize high end cartridge. Let’s hear how this €45.000 phono perform, perhaps if funds allow I will do one pair DC and one pair TC.
AC own custom made SUT can match whatever your cartridges decide to use. The best tool is your own ear.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
I am from Indonesia. I do not know a single person running Aries Cerat LOL! From the very limited info I can find about it seems to fit my criteria the most. Big gain with option to add even more bigger gain SUT. I want my analog to have muscle like digital while still sounding analog.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I am from Indonesia. I do not know a single person running Aries Cerat LOL! From the very limited info I can find about it seems to fit my criteria the most. Big gain with option to add even more bigger gain SUT. I want my analog to have muscle like digital while still sounding analog.
I think you need to concentrate on the designers favoured sound signature for his equipment rather than just gain, too much gain can overload your preamp and be as bad or worse than too little.

You really have to listen to phono stages, especially at the level you are talking about, and preferably within your own system rather than just buy on looks or reputation. Also you haven't said how the rest of your system is made up which makes it rather difficult for anyone here to assist! I learnt long ago that spending lots of money doesn't result in good sound, system matching is key.

I'm sure the Aries Cerat phono stage is excellent, particularly in the context of a full Aries Cerat system. Just how it would work in yours is impossible to say without knowing more about what you already have.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Hello

We do not have or had any dealer or distributor in Indonesia,not sure what local dealer mentioned he carries our brand, but i can assure you we have none at the moment.

I would agree with dwhistance , get the phono which sound comes closer to your ear preferences.Gain can be lowered/increased, as well as inputs added/removed. Sound is what is most important.

Cheers
Stavros

Gerbie1990

Nov 29, 2018
unfortunately the current situation and travel ban, it is impossible to travel to Hong Kong where the AC's new dealer is showcasing the new Legend series. How about Singapore or Malaysia?

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
OMG!! My dear friend insists that EMT JPA66 will be better than Aries Cerat, but my dealer recommended HSE Audio ML7 (it’s SA but I prefer tube)....but I really want Aries Cerat........ please help me make a decision folks. Pleaseeeeee
Has your dear friend actually heard the Aires-Cerat? I own the Aires Cerat LE. I previously owned the Lamm LP1 signature and also currently own the Solution 755. I was able to recently directly compare the Airtight ATE-3011 and Ypsilon VPS 100 to the Aires Cerat in my office listening room. Aires Cerat has a distinct sound that might be described as romantic. In direct comparison to the aforementioned phono preamps the AC was absolutely better sounding in my room which albeit does have acoustic issues. In fact i think i really appreciated how truly good the Aires Cerat sounded when it absolutely trounced some well regarded competition. Through the phones there is absolutely no doubt and some tracks i have heard many times lit up as never before with the Aires Cerat. I have heard the EMT and CH Precision(the primary current competitor in this category) at shows and they were lovely. However, I was not able to compare these phonos directly to the AC in my own room. I may be biased because i have had the opportunity to hear the Aires Cerat in its birthplace in Cyprus and it was mind blowing.

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
It’s like a destiny LOL! EMT said they don’t take anymore order for 2021 and have no interest to sell to more customers. LOL! Aries Cerat romantic???? That further cemented my decision on Aries

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
unfortunately the current situation and travel ban, it is impossible to travel to Hong Kong where the AC's new dealer is showcasing the new Legend series. How about Singapore or Malaysia?
No can do, no travel at all unless willing to be quarantined for 2 weeks

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
Has your dear friend actually heard the Aires-Cerat? I own the Aires Cerat LE. I previously owned the Lamm LP1 signature and also currently own the Solution 755. I was able to recently directly compare the Airtight ATE-3011 and Ypsilon VPS 100 to the Aires Cerat in my office listening room. Aires Cerat has a distinct sound that might be described as romantic. In direct comparison to the aforementioned phono preamps the AC was absolutely better sounding in my room which albeit does have acoustic issues. In fact i think i really appreciated how truly good the Aires Cerat sounded when it absolutely trounced some well regarded competition. Through the phones there is absolutely no doubt and some tracks i have heard many times lit up as never before with the Aires Cerat. I have heard the EMT and CH Precision(the primary current competitor in this category) at shows and they were lovely. However, I was not able to compare these phonos directly to the AC in my own room. I may be biased because i have had the opportunity to hear the Aires Cerat in its birthplace in Cyprus and it was mind blowing.
Romantic while maintaining PRAT and muscle?

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Romantic while maintaining PRAT and muscle?
Plenty of PRAT and muscle. Not like romantic in the sense of the old tubes which got muddy and lacked upper and lower end clarity. I hate sounding cliche and words describing music mean completely different things to different listeners but tube beauty with full range reproduction. Though CH and AMT sound very real they lack the soul of Aires Cerat. Soul is a word i hear often used with Aires Cerat.

Reactions: MJG

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
I do think that at this price range, you should wait for travel bans to lift and go hear for yourself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing