Audio hobby is like tasting wine.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
When you speak of the best wines it is not a matter of which is above the other, rather which one ( in its authentic expression of terroir and makers vision) is best with what course, flavor, sequence of meal or consumption.

So it can be with audio, especially analog systems with multiple carts and preamps (or tape decks etc.)

Reactions: thomask

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Lots of parallels between wine and audio, including neophytes claiming they are not able appreciate the difference between the ok stuff and the really good stuff. I often respond to such statements by telling them that so long as their ears/palate work properly, they are perfectly capable of appreciating the difference. But, what they lack are the experience and vocabulary to articulate those differences.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
When I have someone coming over who says they don’t know much about wine but wish they knew more, I like to open several bottles so I can have them taste the difference between, for example a highly rated, fruit forward, new world wine vs. a highly rated old world wine of the same variety. When they compare them side-side, the difference become obvious. Both are terrific wines, very different in expression.

I wish it were so simple to do with audio gear, though multiple tonearms/cartridges would likely be the easiest way since, for me, I don’t have funds for multiple systems or even multiple turntables. A couple $100 bottles vs a couple $10,000 cartridges...

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
When I have someone coming over who says they don’t know much about wine but wish they knew more, I like to open several bottles so I can have them taste the difference between, for example a highly rated, fruit forward, new world wine vs. a highly rated old world wine of the same variety. When they compare them side-side, the difference become obvious. Both are terrific wines, very different in expression.

I wish it were so simple to do with audio gear, though multiple tonearms/cartridges would likely be the easiest way since, for me, I don’t have funds for multiple systems or even multiple turntables. A couple $100 bottles vs a couple $10,000 cartridges...
Oh I wish to have a chance to join your wine tasting occasion.'
:)

Reactions: bonzo75

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Both Abyss 1266 TC and Raal Sr1a are on Black Friday sale now. I am in a conundrum to choose one between those two excellent headphones.

When I had listened to SR1a and 1266 Phi CC at my pal's home, I liked both.

Ultimately I will have both.
But I wish to try one of them this time.
I wish to keep one nice dynamic HP(hd800s), electrostatic(Stax009S), ribbon (Sr1a) and planar magnetic(Abyss 1266 TC) in the future.
It will be like tasting wines with different flavors.
Please note that I have a speaker with plasma tweeters(Lansche 4.1).
But it will be impossible to make headphone with plasma tweeter since it will be too hot to your ears.
Although I am more attracted to Sr1a than 1266 TC, I am afraid of possibility that Raal make SR2a (improved version) next year while 1266 TC has not much more room to improve.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I remember a great friend who knew more about fine wine and liquor...plus audio..he forgot more than I will ever know.
Tonight I had a bottle from my cellar...a 2000 Beausejour which had a lovely St Emilion funk or breed as I call it.
Here’s to all the wine lovers who also have the passion for the best in music reproduction. Thinking of you Norm.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Shouldn't the system just "grab your emotions" so you can enjoy the music?

Upon their first exposure to a high-end music system I tell people to “forget about the equipment and forget about the wires and just play your favorite songs and see if you enjoy the music more than you have previously, and see if you feel a greater emotional connection to the music than you experienced previously. That’s the purpose of the hobby.”

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It is really difficult to judge good wine.

I have some criteria to assess audio from my subjective perspective.

But I have not had formed any criteria on wine.

The only thing is whether I had enjoyed its flavor or not.
This is also where most audiophiles stop and why that “flavor” of choice can change so quickly. With audio though there is a reference...with wine there is not...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Upon their first exposure to a high-end music system I tell people to “forget about the equipment and forget about the wires and just play your favorite songs and see if you enjoy the music more than you have previously, and see if you feel a greater emotional connection to the music than you experienced previously. That’s the purpose of the hobby.”
Very few systems give a non-audiophile that “Ah-ha” moment. With wine, mine came in Christmas 2001 when I spent Christmas Eve with a friend in Lausanne. It was a 90 CHF bottle that opened my eyes to what GOOD wine could taste like. I experienced an “ah-ha” moment in audio for a friend of mine in 2005. He came with me to a show, despite not caring about audio. Then we went into a room with Odeon 32 speakers, Einstein OTLs, Einstein preamp and CD player. My friend looked at me and said “ That sounds GOOD!” and we proceeded to sit there for at least an hour. Some guys getting exposed to the big Living Voice system in Munich was a similar “ah-ha” for horns and SETs.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I had this exact discussion with a wine expert friend of mine on Saturday night. I'm no wine expert but know what I like, and he is the same with music. We agreed to do a session at mine - he'll bring the wine and I'll supply the music. We'll educate each other a bit about our relevant expertise. Should be fun.
Win win!
Sometimes when I came home from school when I was about 16 or 17 sometimes my father’s friends would have been over for lunch earlier. They all invariably brought with them extraordinary bottles of the great vintages of Australian wine... there was a bit of competition going on...the icons of our very best terroir... Penfolds Grange, St Henri, Hill of Grace, the table would often have half a dozen bottles or so with that last inch left because of sediment. Sediment is of course little impediment to a reckless youth... I’d just polish off the every last mouthful that I could savouring the extraordinary explosion of flavours. Wine, along with music what more could Bacchus or Bach want. What a lucky ill gotten education in wine. Though I never did tell my dad. That said everyone should sample a great wine every now and then and of course listen to fantastic music. Wine... not quite in the same league as the most extraordinary music moments but very much in the same vein.

Reactions: Bobvin and thomask

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
......for the love of a good cigar.

Similar analogy.
I’d given up the demon smoke many years ago but still engage in the demon drink... surely 1 outa 2 ain’t bad! To be honest my capacity when it came to smoking was bad so at 30 I swore it off completely and can’t ever afford to step backwards. Completely non-judgemental tho, if I had any self control I’d probably still dabble. Happy cigaring!

Reactions: Exlibris

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dan Ariely was asked, Why does a behavioral economist have a publicity photo on his website that shows him drinking a glass of wine and smirking?

His reply:

For me, wine illustrates several different aspects of irrationality. It is a clear case of something about which we know little but pretend to know much more. It is an experience that is very sensitive to external influences (type of glass, cost of wine, label on the bottle). And it is something for which we are willing to pay more based on the most ludicrous of reasons—say, if the wine list includes some very expensive wines. Finally, it is a delivery vehicle for alcohol—which causes lots of irrational behaviors. With all this, you can see why wine is my bread and butter.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Mr B.Vin... what fine wine will you be pairing with that Etsuro Gold? I’m thinking something fairly delish might be called for to properly celebrate the big occasion.

Last edited:
Reactions: defride

Fohlenfan

Aug 28, 2016
A really good Wine needs two or three days to settle after transportation. I took some Great bottles with me on a holiday. And made the mistake to be unpatient. The wine was not half the enjoyment than i experienced at home. Audio gear tends also to Play a Kind of disturbed one Or two days After transportation.

Reactions: Down Under

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Mr B.Vin... what fine wine will you be pairing with that Etsuro Gold? I’m thinking something fairly delish might be called for to properly celebrate the big occasion.

Thanks for asking. It is highly likely I'll pull a bottle of my new favorite Rose & Arrow, though from which vineyard? Stonecreek? Red Dust? Highland Close? All are exceptional and rare, offering, as I hope will the Etsuro, unfolding layers of nuance, complexity, and flavor to stimulate the senses.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for asking. It is highly likely I'll pull a bottle of my new favorite Rose & Arrow, though from which vineyard? Stonecreek? Red Dust? Highland Close? All are exceptional and rare, offering, as I hope will the Etsuro, unfolding layers of nuance, complexity, and flavor to stimulate the senses.
What arm are you using the Etsuro with?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
AMG 12JT "Turbo" tonearm, the upgraded arm to the standard 12" that ships with the Viella table.

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Whatever happened to 11.5 to 12.5 alcohol Bordeaux and burgundy ? I guess I like the SET low powered stuff a long with "old vine" vineyard wines aka Vintage in audio land.:)
All this 14 pct wine...I don't care for.
Robert Parker.......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing