AXPONA 2023

Pls do stop by to hear Clarysis panels as they will be present in several rooms.

Reactions: Alrainbow
That is the speaker I am most singularly interested in making sure I hear!

Mike Bovaird told me that, unfortunately, there will be no vinyl or tape in the Clarysis rooms.

• Love
Reactions: Alrainbow and Golum
Clarysis on You Tube do sound as if they might capture that ineffable Apogee creaminess. If that applies in real life, super win. I still have never heard a speaker that does that so well as Apogees..

Reactions: christoph
That is the speaker I am most singularly interested in making sure I hear!

Mike Bovaird told me that, unfortunately, there will be no vinyl or tape in the Clarysis rooms.
Just stumbled on this one published today...https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/specials/puur-hifidelity-company-visit-and-clarisys-audio-show-report/2/

Personally, purely out of curiosity and love of panels, I would be very interested to understand the sonic and design differences and similarities between Alsyvox and Clarysis. Alsyvox is the undisputed champion of new production ribbon panels. Clarysis is the upstart challenger.

Clarysis is the unabashed reincarnation of Apogee. From the Clarysis website:

At the heart of everything we do is the total love and commitment to planar ribbon speakers in the style of Apogee Acoustics (1981 to 1999).

We own every model the company ever made, tried for years (since 2010) to optimize their usage and restored many of them over the years. During our adventures we found ways to further improve the original design. Primary aspects include the removal of failure points in the speakers, structural rigidity, precision making ribbon drivers and using much improved parts over the original.

I don't think they would be a direct comparison. I would just suspect from my own history with Apogees, planars and the technologies that the Alsyvox would excel in intricate detail and quickness, the Clarysis in fullness and tone, especially in that juncture between bass and midrange. The reports are that they both have amazing bass. Vinyl would probably sound really special on the Clarysis.

Alsyvox also has higher efficiency than the highest efficiency claims of the magnet upgraded Clarysis. Clarysis will like more current, just because of the design. That's not a knock, but Alsyvox will allow a wider range of amplifiers. The value issue would be in the eye of the beholder, and taste, of course.

SCAENA Loudspeakers will once again be in the EPIPHANY Boardroom at AXPONA 2023.
Our equipment list is attached.

Please note: We generally keep the doors closed to our room to minimize outside noise and to maximize the presentation for attendees

PLEASE COME IN.

This year we anticipate having our line array of woofers (4 per side) instead of the usual 1 per side
and for the first time we will have the dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC.

Any WBF member that would like a private or scheduled demo- we can accommodate you during regular hours or in particular after hours as we always stay late.

You can reach me at alan@scaena.com or on my cell 954 655-9180 if you are interested.

Attachments

• AXPONA LIST 2023.pdf
    49.7 KB · Views: 9
2023-01-16 16.11.16.jpg

I don't think they would be a direct comparison. I would just suspect from my own history with Apogees, planars and the technologies that the Alsyvox would excel in intricate detail and quickness, the Clarysis in fullness and tone, especially in that juncture between bass and midrange. The reports are that they both have amazing bass. Vinyl would probably sound really special on the Clarysis.

Alsyvox also has higher efficiency than the highest efficiency claims of the magnet upgraded Clarysis. Clarysis will like more current, just because of the design. That's not a knock, but Alsyvox will allow a wider range of amplifiers. The value issue would be in the eye of the beholder, and taste, of course.
I think your comments are what I have heard
I’ve not heard the newer Clarysis yet. But a few pairs of apps and asylvox and I own a set of IRS V
the asylvox have the attack and scale but also have more details as you posted.
Reg power needed mine need massive amounts and apps do too but not as bad as mine.
needing less does open the door to more possibilities.
Apps from what I’ve heard move air but have a lower level detail like my IRS V do.
this years axpona will be interesting for me.

Right now, I’m somewhere halfway between my home Singapore and San Francisco, over the Pacific Ocean. On my way to AXPONA 2023, arriving in Schaumburg late Thu evening. Hoping to meet as many of you WBF brethren as possible!

Reactions: Lee
I want to make sure I check out:

Edwardo's Pizza*

*The one thing, and the only thing, I miss about Chicago.
Seriously, Ron? Ever been to Vito and Nick's, for example?

We can talk/argue about Italian beef, hot dogs, etc.

:D

Last edited:
One thing I am getting a bit disappointed about is that it seems that there will be far fewer rooms than in the past playing vinyl.
I'll be doing my part, setting up 'tables in several rooms. Look for my cards.

IM told the show is completly sold out and approx 170 rooms...WOOHOO

Mike Bovaird informed me today that Room 602 with the Clarysis loudspeaker will be spinning vinyl on an Acoustic Signature turntable!

Bravo, Mike!

Last edited:
From what I understand, Anne Bisson will have a concert, open to all ticket holders, at 8pm on Friday night.
Does anyone have an idea how long she’ll perform?
Best wishes,
Don

My old man drilled it into my head: "You do something, you do it right"
Over the past two weeks and up till this Friday morning a PERL script will continue to run against AXPONA's daily website updates outputting comparisons and differentials. I am dutifully making the updates in Microsoft Excel, re-formatting in PDF and uploading to my server. As of Tuesday, April 11th, 2023 at 6:00 PM EST here is the latest and most up-to-date link:

2023 AXPONA Exhibitor List

Last edited:
I’m wondering if anyone remembers from past shows, what time do the concerts typically get done at night???
Thx much!
Don

Edit... I was able to find my answer on the AXPONA website. The concerts are from 8-9:30pm.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing