Banana Bread (Loaf) Recipe

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you have the time or the inclination to bake something that you normally wouldn't, give this recipe a try. I've been making this for over 20 years and have yet to receive a negative comment. In fact, most have said this is the best recipe for Banana Bread or Banana Loaf (call it what you will) that they have tasted.

Important:
1. Make sure that the bananas you use aren't overly ripe. If they are it raises the sugar content way too much, and it also reduces the density that this bread (loaf) should have.
2. Use 3 large bananas or 4 medium bananas.
3. Do not use the dried SunMaid type raisins. They will get tough and chewy.

Banana Bread (Loaf) Recipe:

1 3/4 cup of unsifted All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
3/4 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Sugar
1 cup Sultana or Golden Raisins ( a little more or less to taste is fine)
1 large Egg (lightly beaten)
1/4 cup of Vegetable Oil
3 large or 4 small Bananas MASHED
1/2 cup of Milk (2%)
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
Brown Sugar (see end of recipe)

Mix all of the dry ingredients (including the raisins) into a large enough bowl.
Next, combine the wet ingredients and then stir into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or something like that. Stir until everything has been completely incorporated.

Grease a 9x5 loaf pan liberally with Butter (don't use a spray), and pour the mixture into it. Tap it once or twice to make sure it's properly settled. Now sprinkle Brown Sugar liberally over the mixture until completely covered. That's it!

Preheat your oven to 375 and bake for 1 hour. Since all ovens vary please check after about 45 minutes. Some people have tried this at 350 for 50 minutes, but for me that doesn't work. YMMV.

Enjoy! And if you do try it, please let me know how it turned out and how you liked it.

EDIT: I place the 9x5 Loaf Pan on a Cookie Sheet. I find that when doing this it has less of a tendency to scorch to bottom of the loaf itself, especially if you leave it in a little onger than desired. It's not essential, but with my oven it seems to work.

Last edited:

Mark

Mar 17, 2012
I love banana bread. I will give this a shot sometime. Thanks for sharing it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Banana bread is one of our favorites. We a make a bunch of loaves and then freeze some. They keep forever that way. That said, nothing is better than when they first come out of the oven with that toasty aroma!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hey, John. Where do you get your Sultana raisins? I have not heard of these before and I do not recall ever seeing them in any of the local grocery stores and I'd like to try this recipe out. My wife usually makes banana bread 3 or 4 times a month. One more thing, have you ever tried adding a small pan of hot water in with the loaf [on a lower shelf] to add a bit of moistness to the bread?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey, John. Where do you get your Sultana raisins? I have not heard of these before and I do not recall ever seeing them in any of the local grocery stores and I'd like to try this recipe out. My wife usually makes banana bread 3 or 4 times a month. One more thing, have you ever tried adding a small pan of hot water in with the loaf [on a lower shelf] to add a bit of moistness to the bread?

I buy them at our local Costco. They're packed by a company in B.C. called Golden Boy Foods. I think they are sometimes referred to as golden raisins, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Anyway, they are very juicy and plump, unlike the dried-out Sun-Maid variety. Perahps an excursion to a local East-Indian/Asian grocery might help you find them.

This bread is actually very moist, so I've never felt a need to do so, but I will give that a try next time I make it for sure. I'm all for trying out new things or methods. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here are a few pictures of the Banana/Raisin Loaf that I made this morning.

IMG_0493.JPG IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

There should be no doubt in your mind from looking at the finished product, that this is a very moist loaf/bread. Also notice the Sultana/Golden Raisins remain plump and juicy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing