BAT REX 3 DAC

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I didn't realize that BAT had a DAC until recently and based on what is inside (custom FPGA digital engine, extremely robust tube output stage, amorphous core output transformers) it looks like it could be a very impressive sounding beast.

Has anyone auditioned this DAC and/or compared it to other 20K DACs?

octaviars

Mar 2, 2020
Here is a review from Hifi news.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Here is a review from Hifi news.

Saw this already but thx

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I've never tried it before. However, a colleague of mine informed me once that it is worth a try. Why did this model catch your eye?
The output stage is rather beastly :D. I have heard these 6C19p tubes sound very very good when used properly. I have no idea what this FPGA based DAC solution will bring to the table though...perhaps overly smooth and lacking dynamics that if used with a lesser output stage would sound boring?? No idea... I always liked BAT preamps though, the VK5i was a very nice preamp.

Reactions: marty

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
The output stage is rather beastly :D. I have heard these 6C19p tubes sound very very good when used properly. I have no idea what this FPGA based DAC solution will bring to the table though...perhaps overly smooth and lacking dynamics that if used with a lesser output stage would sound boring?? No idea... I always liked BAT preamps though, the VK5i was a very nice preamp.
I believe the founder and designer for BAT was Ukrainian, that's why he knows all of those nice russian tubes. I think he passed away recently, big shame.
Russian tubes are not worse than western ones. Just different.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I believe the founder and designer for BAT was Ukrainian, that's why he knows all of those nice russian tubes. I think he passed away recently, big shame.
Russian tubes are not worse than western ones. Just different.
Victor Khomenko died ? That’s sad news…

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
AMR/iFiAudio said,
“I believe the founder and designer for BAT was Ukrainian, that's why he knows all of those nice russian tubes. I think he passed away recently, big shame.
Russian tubes are not worse than western ones. Just different”

Interesting comments, I’ll soon find out.
Abbas Esoteric Audio (Abbas Zulfugarov) in Ukraine and just completed a build for me (Should be shipped soon).His 3.2 SE DAC.

The output analog stage is based around the 6080 tubes (1pair) and uses vintage Soviet/Russian germanium transistors for I:/V conversion and voltage regulators/stabilizers etc. This mixed in with Audio Note Tantalum resistors and Blackgate capacitors etc.

It also employs various kenotrons throughout its power supplies.It is NOS Phillips 1541 chip based. This is a different experience for me and I am really looking forward to its arrival.
Charles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing